December 20, 2014

Greg Grunberg says time slot change hurt Heroes

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 26th 2010 4:02PM
GrunbergDid you know that there are only two new episodes of Heroes left this season? It's ending a little early (no repeats), and from what we saw in the coming attractions after last night's episode, it looks like we're heading towards a showdown involving the carnival and Peter and Sylar trapped...somewhere. Sylar's mind or something, a big city they can't escape. Peter just rushed into Matt's house and immediately grabbed Sylar's head even though Matt was telling him not to. Serves him right if he's trapped.

Greg Grunberg talks to Digital Spy and he has a lot to say about the rest of the season (and a possible fifth season). While he repeats what he said about the season finale not at all being a series finale (NBC still hasn't made up its mind about a new season), Grunberg also says that the network screwed up the show this season by moving it to 9pm and not telling anyone about it.

Does he have a point? I think Chuck got more press for coming back in Heroes' time slot than Heroes got for moving to 9pm, but people have been abandoning it anyway.

spamcaptain

Time change? No. Crappy writing? Yes.

January 27 2010 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snife

I still watch it but it truly is an awful directionless show now, i'd be happier if the makers just got the 4400 boxset and started remaking those episodes with the Heroes characters; 4400 showed the correct way to make a super powered show and i'm still a bit bitter about the cancellation.

I did like the first series of Heroes (although never superior to The 4400) but they made a mistake from the very beginning having Hiro able to move through time - its too easy a plot device which will eventually create hugh holes that cannot be filled and make a lot of what happens meaningless, they should just have allowed him to teleport.

January 27 2010 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

My wife and I have finally given up, I think. We followed since season 1, but the show just keeps getting worse, no matter what they do. We haven't even bothered with the last 3 episodes.

And yeah, the commenters here have summed up the show's problems quite nicely. There's no focus, no interesting storylines, very few likeable characters...

I'm also highly annoyed by just how inconsistent the storytelling is. The characters' motivations change every week to suit the current story. It's like none of them actually have an identity.

January 27 2010 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

Heroes hurts Heroes...

January 26 2010 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Well, most of the first season was great. All except the last episode. That was when it started to go downhill.

January 26 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chuck's comment
Isabel

But their highest viewership was on the 1st ep of S2, w/c is kinds ironic if the finale of S1 really sucks that bad.

February 05 2010 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I disagree Greg, I believe that Heroes is hurting Heroes. I am addicted to TV and usually give shows some leway to let them build but I stopped watching long ago because they just can't seem to understand how to make people care about the world of Heroes and its characters again. First season was great but it has been downhill ever since.

January 26 2010 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I say keeping Tim Kring as showrunner and not giving it to Bryan Fuller a few seasons ago is what hurt Heroes.

January 26 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Actually, I'll bet the move helped a sinking ship, if anything. Competing against House and HIMYM couldn't have been good, right? (although, I'll bet the demos are quite different...)

Anyways, yeah, I echo the others. I still watch, but only out of some ridiculous duty since I've been there the whole time. I really kind of wish it would end. It made me happy to hear there's only 2 eps left...

January 26 2010 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

And there was me thinking that poor stories were hurting the show. Boy how wrong was I eh? I was the time slot all along....

January 26 2010 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Heroes is so disappointing. The first season was just so good and even the second was OK. But now it is without question one of the worst shows on TV. There is just no direction and there has been no vision for the show since season 1. People don't watch because it is terrible. I was one of the biggest Heroes fans and it has become unwatchable.

January 26 2010 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply