September 3, 2014

Super Bowl to feature more advocacy ads

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jan 26th 2010 9:30PM
It looks like the commercials for the Super Bowl just got a little less hilarious, or more depending on your personal viewpoints and political persuasions.

CBS has eased the restrictions on selling spots to advocacy groups during the single most important television advertising event of the year and said it would consider "responsibly produced" ads for the Super Bowl broadcast on February 7.

The issue arose when an anti-abortion group wanted to air an ad funded by James Dobson's Focus on the Family advocacy group starring 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow. Honestly, who cares? Why all this controversy over a commercial? Does it involve singing dogs or the Budweiser lizards discussing the point at which life begins? Am I the only person in the universe who watches the Super Bowl... to watch the actual Super Bowl?

craig h.

Forget about the abortion issue and enjoy the superbowl. You can have MORE fun if you run a Superbowl Squares Pool online. You can do that for FREE here:

January 28 2010 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Personally, I'm of the "keep it to entertainment" crowd, so I'll be taking the advice of those who suggest I find something else to do while said ad is on. Perhaps they should consider taking their own advice next time something they disapprove of gets aired.

On another point, I'd like to refute the pro-choice = pro-abortion argument. Even though I have liberal tendencies, I'm not a big fan of abortion. In fact, I gave a child up for adoption rather than get one. However, I am pro-choice. As has been pointed out, it isn't going away any time soon. Better safe and legal than having to put oneself in danger because someone else they'll never know disapproves. So don't go assuming that just because someone says they're pro-choice that they're a cheerleader for abortion.

January 27 2010 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
syl1969

Either let them all on or none - that's the only fair way to go. Seems to me we are ALL pro-choice. Free to choose either way... that's what 'choice' means. It's up to the individual. I can't tell you what to do with your body, and you can't tell me what to do with mine. End of story. As far as the Super Bowl commercials, they were much funnier and creative when you didn't have to worry about being 'politically correct' or 'offending' someone. Fanatics can take the fun out of anything!

January 27 2010 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela Allen

When I was diagnosed with Stage III Breast Cancer in 2003 I was almost 3 months pregnant with my 4th child. The mindset was that chemo would be easier if I aborted the pregnancy afterall I had 3 kids that needed me and the 4th one basically saved my life so it served its purpose. My husband educated himself to find out if I could get chemo and be pregnant at the same time. After contacting Pregnant With Breast Cancer group in PA they said as long as I was in my 2nd trimester I could have chemo with no harm to the fetus. Well when chemo would start I would be in my 2nd trimester. We consulted our Pastor and church family for prayer, and asked God to help us. I had to make a decision to keep or abort after being told by a Maternal Fetal medicine specialist all the bad things that could go wrong with the pregnancy and being sick. After being scared to death I told my Oncologist that I would not abort and I had a warmth from my head to my feet, all the fear & worry was gone, and at that moment I knew God would heal me and keep my baby safe! Now I have been 5 1/2 years cancer free and have a healthy 6 yr old son that is just so full of life that it is just amazing. We can't always rely on doctors and medical professionals since they are only man and not an awesome God! God knows his plans he has laid before us and it is up to us to follow His plans.

January 27 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Angela Allen's comment
syl1969

And the bottom line is: you had a CHOICE!

January 27 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.Johnson

Hey, if the commercial is paid for, then show whatever? But the pro-lifers need to know abortions are here to stay. Know humans like I do, many of those supporting Pro-life would probably get an abortion for themselves or the mother if it can be kept quiet. People are so phoney and hypocritical.

As for Tebow. You have a bright future ahead of you guy, don't let the "religious" fanatics use you as a prop. Remember, the world is full of those who profess God but damn few who are "of" God.

January 27 2010 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

I don't think that The Super Bowl should have political ad during the game just my opinion I want to be entertained and have funny ads and beautiful ladies as well. I watch The Super Bowl for the ad's & game. Go Colts I will also be happy if the Saints win the Super Bowl as well.

January 27 2010 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Egendorf

When the ad appears, I will be watching the puppy bowl.

January 27 2010 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I am pro choice and I don't care either way about the commercial but the person who thinks Tim Tebow is going to hell for being a Florida Gator has just issued themselves aticket there. My son graduated and works at the school and the schoo, their football team and Tebow are all first-class ... must be Alabama fan, which to me IS already hell on earth.

January 27 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Again...never surprised by the stupidity of the masses. Who really cares, guys? Ok...so what if they don't let a pro-abortion group run an ad? Is that really going to change the opinions of the world? Anybody who bases their political views and thoughts on life on what they see on television is an idiot, anyway. I don't have cable, satellite, or even an antenna...everything shown on t.v. is biased and stupid and I don't want my kids watching it. I much prefer to watch Space Chimps or Madagascar 40 times a day than to have to sift through the crap on tv.

January 27 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
Ben

You're dead wrong Sarah Munoz there lot of good stuff on TV I can fine almost anything on TV. And what you have said about TV isn't bias or stupid as you have claim Sarah is a lie and is baseless as well. I'm always right.

January 29 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmyjo

In reference to "leopadra" (may be spelled incorrectly):
Sure, a woman has the right to say what should happen to her body, BUT RIGHTS HAVE TO DO WITH THE RESPECT OF OTHER PEOPLE TO. e.g.Yelling "fire in a theatre" OR using sex as a means to a cheap end and NOT CONSIDERING THE OUTCOME OF A BIRTH.
Even SCIENCE agrees that that is a human child inside of you. Come on women, and men, It's like driving drunk!

January 27 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply