April 20, 2014

Weird Al Yankovic lands deal with Cartoon Network

by Mike Moody, posted Jan 26th 2010 3:02PM
Weird Al YankovicComedian and Kenny G lookalike "Weird Al" Yankovic has inked a deal to direct and star in a live-action TV movie for Cartoon Network. Sadly, it's not a sequel to his 1989 cult classic UHF, so don't expect to see Michael Richards tossing poodles out of a ten-story window again.

Yankovic was nice enough to interview himself about the project on his personal blog. He's keeping mum about the movie's plot details, but he revealed that the film's protagonist would be a teenager. Yankovic also said he'd take on a supporting role.

If the film is able to draw an audience, it's likely that Cartoon Network will develop it or another Weird Al project into a live-action series. The network already has a working relationship with Yankovic thanks to his voice work on The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Brak Show, and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job.

Weird Al's parody videos and his childish sense of humor have always been kind of hit and miss for me, but I think he could produce a great warped kids show, ala Yo Gabba Gabba or Pee Wee's Playhouse. Cartoon Network requested that he develop the project with a "much younger protagonist," so it sounds like this film will be aimed at the kiddos.

What do you guys think? Are you ready for Weird Al's non-cartoon Cartoon Network show? Or would you rather see the network stick to animated fare?

Kevin

I wish Cartoon Network would play cartoons 24/7... because whenever they aren't playing cartoons, no one else is playing cartoons. :/

Anyways I wish the best for Wierd Al!!! And I'll be sure to check this out whenever it pops up.

January 30 2010 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Like I said on his Facebook page, I'm participating in the live-action boycott on CN, but for him I'd make an exception.

January 27 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Twinkie Wiener Sandwiches all around!

January 26 2010 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjcrazysmart

This sounds so fun! I think it is okay to have a non-cartoon show on this network. (But no throwing anything alive out any windows; don't give kids any stupid ideas!)Weird Al and Pee Wee have both shown they can entertain kids and adults together similar to the old cartoons my friends and I (52 years old) enjoyed watching. Those shows, such as "George of the Jungle", "Bugs Bunny", "Rocky and Bullwinkle", and "Dudley Do Right."

Those shows had subtle humor for adults, and sillyl humor for kids. Families could watch them together.

So many cartoons now are violent, or educational that they are not funny or entertaining. How will the kids now ever learn to be creative or develop senses of humor to help them get through their lives? I am really concerned.

"George, George, George of the Jungle - Watch Out For That Tree!"

January 26 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

Michael Richards didn't toss the poodles out of the window, Trinidad Silva did.

January 26 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply