October 24, 2014

ABC cancels Ugly Betty

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 27th 2010 4:24PM
Ugly BettyYou really can't say you didn't see this coming. ABC has announced that they have canceled Ugly Betty. The final episode will air this spring. ABC says in a statement that "we've mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty's last season."

I really loved the first season of Ugly Betty, and I continued to watch it into the second season, but somewhere along the line I just lost interest in it. It wasn't the cast, I think it was just that plots kept spiraling into directions I didn't think were interesting (or funny). But now that the show is ending I kinda feel bad about not watching it the last couple of seasons.

So I guess this is the part where we all list our predictions on how the show will end, who Betty will end up, what will happen to Mode, and all that. At least they know the show is ending and can plan a good final episode.

Europa

Same here too.

Wasn't the show based on a Novela(sp?)? It was meant to be a "short" story; i.e. a beginning, middle, and end. I think in some ways it was sort of short sided to think it could go on indifinitely.

January 28 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I will miss "Ugly Betty"!!

January 28 2010 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I understand but will miss the characters, they just ran out of plots and ran the same one over and over. They have spruced up Betty a bit this year - new glasses, better hair style, a bit more fashion sense... I hope they take it all the way to where we get to see the very pretty
Betty/America before series' end. That would make a good ending.

January 28 2010 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I think the braces should have come off first thing this season, the main story is about Betty at a fashion magazine. Without the braces, Betty would have to adjust as people would likely see her differently.

January 27 2010 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

Same here. This series might be a good case study for some college media class (es) like doing with The Big Lebowski.
Course being telly it may only take 18 months for that instead of 18 years. Bye Bye Betty. Let door hit ya for how
you lost yur way. And please give her a clean up episode where damn braces are gone for one day at least.
As the t-shirt in NYC Hell's Kitchen says God Hates Ugly.

January 27 2010 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake Orcutt

I loved Season 1 too, liked Season 2 ok but gave up after that. It had lost its magic and gotten too over the top (and I realize it's supposed to be an over-the-top show).

January 27 2010 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foualier

They need to solve the Fey Sommers mystery !

January 27 2010 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jax Maxton

I did the same in watching the first season and then lost interest in the second. This was one show that would have seriously benefitted from the BBC short season style program. Like you said, the stories went in such crazy directions (which I knew was the point), and Betty became too well-liked at the magazine by the second season that it just felt like, "Where do you go now?"

January 27 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve0

Too bad. I recently became a fan of this show.

January 27 2010 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply