April 16, 2014

What You Missed Last Night: Kimmel on Leno's Oprah interview

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 29th 2010 11:29AM
Joel told you about Jay Leno's appearance on Oprah yesterday. Last night, Jimmy Kimmel explained exactly what happened when he went on The Jay Leno Show and joked about Leno.

After the jump, Kimmel shows all the best parts of Leno's interview, with help from REM.

socrates

I never did care about Jay Leno he's is mean spirited with a nasty attitude that he wraps up in a "I'm a nice guy victim" mask, whatever

Jimmy, however I am loving! I was not on board with him but his unrelenting, confident assertions about late night TV have won me over, I'll give him my attention before I ever look a anything with Jay on it.

January 31 2010 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

It's hoot to read how one millionaire "sucker-punched" another millionaire. Really, we needn't feel bad for any host on any of these shows.

January 31 2010 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lemnpiper

The thing about Conan's rating to remember is that it took jay 2 years to surpass letterman in the ratings (which he only did 1st with the hugh grant interview after grant's run in with divine brown the prostitute).How much lower than Carson's ratings were Leno's ratings at his 7 month point?
So to just give Conan 7 months seems to me rather short.
Plus how much had Conan's ratings dropped BEFORE Leno started his 10 pm show? And then post Leno's new show debut.

Finally i dont recall any affiliates complaining about Conan's rating to the point they wanted to drop NBC

January 29 2010 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I don't totally buy the whole "Conan's ratings were bad because Leno's were bad."

I might watch a show on NBC at 8 p.m. and switch to Fox at 9 p.m. So, while the news stations probably have a point (because if I'm going to watch the news, I typically stay wherever I watched a 10 p.m. show), it doesn't make sense for the late night TV stuff. I'd watch the show I prefer.

And "building up an audience"? Seven months is a whole helluva lot more time than most TV shows get. Some shows barely get seven episodes. And, yes, I know late night is different, but it's still pretty generous.

(And, in all honesty, I don't really care for Leno or Conan...or even Letterman or Kimmel. Although if I had to pick one, it'd probably be Kimmel. So don't think I'm standing up for Leno.)

If things weren't working as hoped, NBC should have either reduced Leno's days to 2 or 3 days a week, or found a whole new host for the Tonight Show.

January 29 2010 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Thanks for the info on the fades. My apologies for that.

However, I don't buy that explanation for Conan's ratings. As I've said before, Leno had great ratings for 15 years. You can't say that he had great lead-in shows Monday-Friday for all those years. Maybe seven months wasn't enough to get Conan's ball rolling, But NBC, not Leno, decided that enough was enough. I don't blame Conan for not taking the 12:05am spot, but if he had, he'd still be hosting the Tonight Show. Jay did what anyone else would have done, including Conan if he'd had the opportunity, Leno took his beloved job back. A job he did well for 17 years. Why is Jay being blamed for NBC's decisions? Just don't get that.

January 29 2010 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

"If Jay Leno makes you laugh, chances are I don't care for you as a person." -- Peter Griffin

January 29 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Joyce: two things. One, TV Squad does not "fade" comments. They are faded by readers who vote down comments.

Two, Conan's ratings were bad because he and the local affiliates had Leno as their lead-in. Leno failed at 10, his ratings affected the local news/Conan, so NBC canceled Leno's show.

January 29 2010 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Kimmel is an ass. It was a suckerpunch and a cheap shot. The blame for this whole fiasco rests with NBC. Kimmel is only trying to raise his 4th rate ratings. I have no idea what TV Squads excuse is for not letting this go. Nor why they "fade" all opposing comments in Jay's favor here. Conan's ratings stunk. That's why this whole thing happened. Get over it.

January 29 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KPlan

Kimmel's keen ability to beautifully point out what an a--hole Leno is continues to astound and amuse me.

January 29 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply