October 23, 2014

Captain Jack coming to Wisteria Lane

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 30th 2010 1:00PM
john_barrowman_torchwood_headshotRemember way back in July 2009? Of course you don't, but thank goodness for search engines. You see, on July 31st of last year, Bob wrote about a Torchwood character going to Wisteria Lane. Now, it's happening. John Barrowman will be appearing on Desperate Housewives. Captain Jack Harkness will be playing a villain, stirring up trouble for the ladies of the neighborhood.

Barrowman is expected to leave England in March to come to Los Angeles to begin filming. He'll appear on screen in April, and he's there for a mini-arc, at least five episodes. And he will be playing a malevolent man, i.e. a villain.

Ausiello reports that he's going to be involved with Angie's story. How will he impact on the Bolens, who are already brimming with angst and drama? Doesn't sound like it will be a positive impact.

Like Bob wrote in 2009, Desperate Housewives' creator Marc Cherry had been anxious to get John Barrowman into the Wisteria Lane fold. It was just a matter of scheduling and writing.

The scheduling was for John, who's extremely busy in England with his TV and theater work -- including successful CDs of Broadway and theater show tunes, plus two memoirs he's published with his sister, and then all the TV appearances. All Cherry had to do was create a new character for him!

Hmm... considering all of Barrowman's musical theater creds, maybe he should be talking with Ryan Murphy about doing an episode of Glee? Couldn't you imagine him as a visiting choir director from across the pond who comes to McKinley to see what an American show choir is like? Then, Kurt develops a crush on him and...

Mikaela

I am almost intrigued by this topic and would like to learn more. Could you please recommend some book to begin with? I have found many articles and periodical at http://www.pdfqueen.com pdf books and periodical search engine, but am not sure if it is all worth reading. Thank you for your advice.

February 12 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

Awesome, he is one sexy man. Love his work and hopefully he will be shirtless in many scenes on the show. Such a hottie! Would love to see him on Glee. Can't wait for more Torchwood.-Steve

February 02 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bz

This is a slut show at its worse. Women wonder why their young daughters are the way they are. Yeah! this is a great role model show to watch your girl grow up learning great family values from the sewers. I really hope they go sour and cancel this debauchery series.

February 02 2010 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Angie is the one who choked Julie and killed the girl
in the cafe.

February 02 2010 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kandas

I do watch Desperate Housewives, but I record it on DVR and I don't break my neck to get home and watch. They are always adding new twists and turns, but it's still just NOT that great ya know? It was getting kinda juicy when Bree was sleeping with Susan's ex husband, but they just seem to drag it on and on and on with no REAL excitement, and then bam! he gets killed by the plane crashing onto Wisteria. I'm not even going to get started on the Bolen's. I cannot stand Angie. Or Nick. Or Danny for that matter. I just do not like this "plot" in the storyline. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Also, I don't like when one show will be about something, but it's just for THAT show then you never hear about it again! What's up with that? They can't come up with anything better? For example, the old women.....I can't remember her name right off, but she's the only old nosy women in almost every episode. There was an episode a lil while back about her and this old man hooking up and falling in love.... blah, blah, blah. They were taking a morning walk and found Julie the morning after she had been choked. Anyway, that was the first and last time I have seen or heard anything on these young lovebirds. Nothing at all. I know you can't really go off and running with a storyline around these 2 characters, but at least SOMETHING! Don't just drop them off the page. They had a whole episode about them and that was it. It would just be a lil more believable to keep it consistent.....right?

February 02 2010 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I watched Housewives briefly when it first aired and was bored. I'll watch John's episodes, but I doubt I'll stick around once he's gone. This show just doesn't do anything for me.

February 02 2010 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny

I doubt even this guy can save Desperate Housewives. That show hasn't been fun for some time. Everyone I talk to that watches it says the same thing : I watch it but I don't know why. Totally dull storylines for years and absolutely no real humor or dramatic sense (although last season with Neal McDonough was pretty good but then they had to go and kill off Nicollette Sheridan how stupid can you get ?) This year with Tom and Lynette whining all the time and Orson in a wheelchair seems like a metaphor for the entire lame season.

February 02 2010 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nina

Only watched last season for Gale Harold, and will only watch this season for John. He'll make a stunning villain.

February 01 2010 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

Okay, this could get me watching DH! But what would it mean for a new series of "Torchwood?"

About the "Glee" thing... John speeks with an American accent. I suppose "maybe" they could have him speek in his Scottish, but I kind of doubt it.

February 01 2010 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I don't watch Desparate Housewives. I watched the first year and then stopped during the second. But if Barrowman is on it I'll have to watch his episodes. (Maybe it will get me started again.) I agree he'd rock on Glee, especially if they let him sing.

January 31 2010 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply