October 30, 2014

Allison Janney joins Matthew Perry's Mr. Sunshine

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 31st 2010 1:29PM
allison_janney_smiling_earringsYou could say that most people's interest in a new comedy from Friends' star Matthew Perry called Mr. Sunshine, would be pretty high. He's a popular actor. Friends was a popular show. People reacted favorably to Courteney Cox's new comedy Cougar Town... You see where I'm going here.

Well, the interest meter just moved up considerably because West Wing Emmy-winner Allison Janney will co-star with Matthew in Mr. Sunshine. Mr. Sunshine is an ABC pilot they'll be filming, and it's about a guy who reaches his 40th birthday and wonders if he can continue just getting by on his charm and nonchalant style.

Mr. Sunshine is set in San Diego, where Perry's character manages an aging stadium. Janney is playing Crystal Cohen, the lady in charge of the place. That's right; she's Matthew's boss.

Perry co-wrote the half-hour pilot with Alex Barnow and Marc Firek -- whose credits include Family Guy and 'Til Death -- and former West Wing helmer Tommy Schlamme will direct.

By the way, this Mr. Sunshine has nothing to do with the 1986 sitcom of the same name that starred Jeffrey Tambor. It lasted only 11 episodes. Hopefully the title will be luckier for Perry and Janney.

Oh, one more by the way, Allison Janney is also attached to another pilot for 2010. She's the romantic interest for William H. Macy in the Showtime drama Shameless.

GrumpyOldMan

She's got that ugly but cute look that I find intriguing.

February 01 2010 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CeCe

I was happy to learn that Matthew Perry is shooting a pilot. Now not so much .. I can't stand Allison Janney. She is the same in every role and when she isn't acting she is letting us all know that she is tall. groan

February 01 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

This has me interested as I like both stars. Wondering just a bit if the male mid-life crisis theme is rising in populariity right now because of the success of "Men of a Certain Age'? But I will look past that.

February 01 2010 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Don't care about any of the "Friends" gang, but I'll give this show a try just to see Allison Janney in something other than West Wing. I get my W.W. fix every morning thanks to Bravo.

January 31 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Sparks

as far as I am concerned, Allison Janney should be in every show. Along with Jane Lynch. Put those two together with, oh, I don't know; a can of corn and some crackers and you'd have a hit show.

As long as it wasn't on NBC...

January 31 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply