August 23, 2014

Did Sonny go too far on General Hospital?

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 31st 2010 2:02PM
abc_general_hospital_sonny_carlyIs Sonny going to wind up in prison for his crimes on General Hospital? You have to wonder how he's going to avoid it now. It's not like viewers have every thought of Sonny as innocent, but he's skirted having to pay for his sins via the criminal justice system. There have been other ways he's paid, but prison? So far, Mac and the Port Charles P.D. have yet to get him locked away for long. The Feds have also dropped the ball every time they've tried. But Friday might have been the game changer.

Sonny's portrayer, Maurice Benard, thinks it is. He told Michael Logan, "I truly believe Sonny's done this time. He wants his son to be safe and he sees no other way out. ...He doesn't think he can get away with it this time -- at least that's the way I'm playing it."

In case you don't know what happened, how far Sonny went in his criminal activity and don't want to know until you watch the episode on your DVR, stop reading now.

When Sonny met with Dominic to send him on a mission that was, in fact, a trap to kill him, Dom revealed that he's a cop. He pulled his badge to arrest Sonny; Sonny pulled a gun to kill Dominic. Take a look at the scene:

The ramifications that'll follow are huge because Olivia finally tells Sonny he shot his own son! According the Benard, "It's like on some level he already knows he's his son before he finds out for sure. The whole thing plays kind of eerie."

Eerie, yes? But also familiar. The connections between General Hospital and The Godfather were never more evident than on Friday's episode, and if you think it was a coincidence, think again. The set up was crystal clear, much like it was in The Godfather when Michael Corleone decided to settle all scores on the day of the baptism of his sister Connie's baby. While Michael stood in the church and denounced evil, his soldiers were out viciously killing his enemies.

For GH, the level of murder wasn't as numerous, but the violence was just as intense. That was Josslyn's christening. While Michael "Sonny" Corinthos -- a la Michael and Sonny Corleone from the movie -- was pulling the trigger, his lieutenant Jason (sort of a refined Luca Brasi), was named the baby's godfather. Cutting from the innocence of the christening to the evil of the killing was pure Francis Ford Coppola.

And how's this for a preview of what may come next. If Sonny has to go prison, watch for GH to imitate Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas. The mob behind bars. Benard said that Steve Burton has suggested this scenario: "Sonny goes off to jail and finagles a big cell where he's cooking his pasta sauce. People could come visit me. All the characters we've sent to jail could try to beat me up. It'd be great!"

dorothy pace

General Hospital is nothing without Sonny and Jason.

March 25 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big T

Tiger Lil, You like a good doe snot? hmmmmmm

March 25 2010 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M A Sanko

Maurice bernard is a "Wonderfull Actor" but the trash the writers are giving him makes it hard for me a long time Gher to view anymore, they have mad him the "CARTOON" Tony Soprano I do not blame Mr Benard But when he was with Megan Ward ( A really good actress" the Sonny character became likable, But the writers decided in their infinate brains to break it up and bring in a mob princess, argo the ratings tanked. Mr Benard & Ms Ward were the Bogie & Bacall of daytime, it is really sad what has happened to GH, Mr Frons, Mr Guza and Ms Phelps think we want to see tough talking women, they don't get it, it's not the same gnre it was twenty years ago, THERE ARE INTELLIGENT WOMEN OUT THERE, the time of the B movie queen is over, BUT not for the heads of dyatime they still want their "LITTLE BOY DREAMS" WAKE UP before GH becomes another talk show...Soony & kate were it, not what we have now....

March 25 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lloyd

Does anyone remember when GH was all about the hospital? Remember the head nurse, Jessie and Steve Weber? I am 63 year's old and have watched from the beginning.

February 15 2010 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Viv's scenario at #18 is brilliant , I wouldn't have thought of that .

February 14 2010 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra Jefferson

I love Maurice Bernard and I think he does an awesome job playing Sonny. GH would be very boring without Sonny, Jason and the mob story lines. They add excitement to the show. He is a "GREAT ACTOR". I watch GH everyday and at night on Soapnet. I just can't get enough of it. Love the show.

February 02 2010 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

There are some who think that Jax doesn't already know that Sonny and Jax are father and son. He does. Olivia confided in him after Jax saw a resemblance between Morgan and Dante, and even feared to Jax that Dante is bring down his own brother's Dad. Trust me, he knows and that will be revealed this week.

February 02 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
couturejunkie

The Sonny/Dante storyline is cool but Sonny does need to pay a legal price. He always gets away with it and it's boring. Plus I don't think it's responsible to glorify cop-killers, which is what GH will be doing if they let him off scot-free.

I love Liz and Nik, they are hot! No more Liz & Lucky, they were good in the past but it's not the same and needs to be done and over with.

February 02 2010 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

I came back to GH when Rick Springfield came back, then I was hooked. Haven't stopped watching since. The new FRANCO storyline was creepy and interesting.....but the Sonny/Dante performances and story are superb. My DVR is set to record everyday! I don't want to miss any of the action.

February 02 2010 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boner

General Hospital is absolutely ridiculous these days. Can't stand that show anymore! I'm embarassed for anybody caught up in this worthless time-wasting crap! It's always the same Sonny, Carly, Jason and that slutty Elizabeth ho. Oh yeah, and the current Lucky sucks! Enough already with the same old mob violence! Bring back Robert and Anna to kick Sonny's boring, sorry ass all the way to prison for good where he belongs!

February 02 2010 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply