April 18, 2014

TV Suffering from 'Slumdog Millionaire' Fever

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 1st 2010 7:29PM
(In my best Christopher Walken voice, which really isn't all that good) Guess what? Your TV has a fever! And the only prescription... is more 'Slumdog Millionaire' type shows!

The critical and financial success of the plucky little independent Bollywood-esque drama that brought 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?' back into your consciousness just as it was leaving has inspired several upcoming TV comedies with heavy Indian-themes.

Fox has greenlit 'Nirvana,' an Indian-American family sitcom and NBC has picked up 'Outsourced,' another office comedy about an American manager who is sent to India to manage a customer service department. Would you be interested in watching these shows, even if you had never heard of 'Slumdog Millionaire'?

excentric

Outsourced was a cute movie about culture-shock. I would check out a sitcom based on it. I enjoyed the movie.

February 02 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Hmm, why does a show about Indians have to be in reaction to Slumdog Millionnaire? I have a number of Indian co-workers, talk with india-based clients all the time, I don't think of Bollywood or Slumdog when talking with my colleagues. The reality is we have a growing mix of ethnicities in our wonderful melting pot of a country and like it or not, work is being sent offshore - not just to India but to Phillipines, Czech Republic, and more. I think the idea of a show set in a call center could be funny as long as they keep from stereotyping.

February 02 2010 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I've never seen all of Slumdog Millionaire, although I have seen bits and bites while my daughter's watched it. However, I am a fan of "Goodness Gracious Me" and "The Kumars At No. 42", so Indian has already been on my radar for a good long while.

I'll have to check these shows out on their own merit, although if "Outsourced" is based on the UK show, I'll probably drop it in the "unnecessary remake" pile.

February 02 2010 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Is Outsourced based on the British sitcom (ITV I think) from last year? Similar concept; a British man of Indian heritage (but lived and worked in Britain all his life) was sent to a call center in India because they presumed he'd get on fine.

Can't think of the name of it but it jumped to mind when I read that.

Oh and Slumdog Millionaire was mediocre. Although I do love the jokes about it on Big Bang Theory.

February 02 2010 at 3:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

As an Indian American, i just hope all of these shows don't end up as a easy way to make some stereotypical jokes and some god awful accents. I enjoy a good Apu joke as much as the next guy but the only times Indians ever appear on American TV is when they need funny accents or to appear as some kind of monkey brain eating bunch (I want to slap Spielberg silly for that).

Royal Pains in my opinion did the best job of showing Indians in a decent light.

February 02 2010 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Viv's comment
RobynM

"Chuck" does a pretty good job with Lester - sure, he's a B-plot comic relief character, but it's never at the expense of his being Indian.

February 02 2010 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

Reminds me of the Aziz Ansari bit. Indian-Americans must be so happy now, just like how white people are happy all the time since every show is about them.

February 02 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emassoni

"Would you be interested in watching these shows, even if you had never heard of 'Slumdog Millionaire'?"

Sure, why not? The movie didn't make me suddenly aware of Indian people. I'll probably skip over 'Nirvana' because I've had enough of family sitcoms but 'Outsourced' may be funny. The movie had some good laughs.

I don't mind if networks have some 'Slumdog Millionaire' fever. We've already seen shows covering white, black, and latino people. It will be nice to see something different. I think there's a lot about Indian culture that viewers would find interesting or funny (in a good way) and would make for great TV.

February 01 2010 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply