October 31, 2014

'Star Trek' Writers Orci and Kurtzman Sign With Fox TV

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 2nd 2010 5:02PM
orci kurtzman tv dealRoberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the writing team behind last year's best and worst blockbusters ('Star Trek' and, you know, 'Transformers 2'), have inked a three-year deal to develop new shows for 20th Century Fox.

The 'Fringe' scribes will write and produce TV projects under their own company, which Fox hopes they'll populate with creative moneymaking geeks like themselves.

The duo is gonna be very busy for the next few years. They've already signed to write and produce a 'Hawaii Five-O' reboot for CBS, and they're also launching a new 'Transformers' cartoon for Hasbro's The Hub. (Not to mention 'Fringe', which is still going strong on Fox.)

Orci and Kurtzman's movie projects include the much-anticipated 'Star Trek' sequel and the big budget graphic novel adaptation 'Cowboys & Aliens'.

How are these guys able to juggle so many marquee projects without their heads exploding? Is red matter involved? Time travel? They're robots, right? That must be it, they're robots.

'Transformers 2' awfulness aside (I think we can blame that one on Michael Bay), I'm a big fan of Orci and Kurtzman's work. 'Star Trek' was one of my favorite films of last year, 'Fringe' is an excellent show, and I loved 'Alias', the great J.J. Abrams-produced action series that helped kickstart their careers. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to their upcoming genre TV projects. (Hopefully Fox won't cancel them all after only one season.)

What do you guys think? Are you ready for a slate of Orci and Kurtzman-approved TV programming?

[via: The Hollywood Reporter]

Jacob

hey o This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
Care for Cars

February 23 2010 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

always good to hear from Bill Shatner

February 03 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Are you kidding me! These guys have never stayed true to anything including Star Trek. Blowing up Vulcan, did you realize that killed off everything I have watched since the beginning of the original Star Trek. They compile information based on backwords thinking and are going to ruin film as we know it. Are the studio heads losing their marbles. Well, I guess after what happened to Conan on the Tonight show anything can happen in Hollywood. Hell, with special effects, hollywood can make anything happen, including making this jerks look good. Must be a lot of re-writes.

February 02 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

Fringe has writers?

February 02 2010 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Yea, "going strong" is pretty far away from the truth. Right now, it is basically teetering on the edge of cancellation. It could go either way, but it definitely isn't a lock.

And don't get me started about Star Trek. Most massively overrated movie in a long time (from a Trekker's POV, anyway)

February 02 2010 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Is Fringe "going strong"? That's not what I've heard. I love the show (though lately it's gotten quite lame, but this week's episode looks like we may finally get a long-overdue good one), but I can already sense the decision to cancel it has been made by Fox. It's their MO, why should Fringe be any different?

February 02 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Squink

As long as Fox keeps "Fringe" on the air I'm happy and I'm going to take this deal as good news for that show. It started off slow and a bit uninteresting for me, but like the X-Files before it, it is gradually getting better as time passes.

February 02 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Squink's comment
Stephen

Fringe is a great show and hope it continues for many years. unlike last years blockbuster the Sarah Conner Chron. that for some reason was taken off the air after
a cult like following for 2 seasons. Bring Sarah back
that really was a great show with a loyal fan base

February 17 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply