July 29, 2014

The Big Question About Last Night's Season Premiere of 'Lost'

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 3rd 2010 7:05PM
Matthew FoxThere are no chicken sandwiches in the parking lot. There are only dreamers. Sure, one could make the case that you can't make linoleum a religious symbol, and even if you could, why would oranges go to Buffalo? I sit here with my shoes and my can opener and I wonder about President Taft. There are rules for gasoline, and maybe - just maybe - the omelets will fly.

Is that paragraph above confusing? Well, it's not as confusing as last night's 'Lost' was. (Note: what follows might be spoiler-ish if you haven't seen the episode, so proceed with caution!)

We could sit here until next week's new episode of 'Lost' and go over all of the theories we have as to what's going on (and some fans probably will), but I don't want to delve too deeply into the mythology and alternate timelines and smoke monsters and resurrections and all that. There are plenty of sites that are going over all of that today (and there's a discussion going on over in the comments section of Jonathan's review).

No, I want to talk about one thing that happened in last night's episode. Some might tell me it's easily explained and some might say it's too trivial a matter to bring up (I can already predict what some will say - "the man in black guy is the Smoke Monster and Sayid came back to life, and THIS is what you're wondering about?!"), but it's an interesting plot point that we can at least wrap our minds around:

Jack has never heard of Jacob before??

In the van, Hurley mentioned that Jacob told him to bring Sayid to the temple, and Jack said "who's Jacob?" Jack doesn't know who Jacob is? How is that possible?

All this time on the island and Jack hasn't at least heard Jacob's name at some point? Are the writers forgetting something or is there a reason why Jack doesn't remember Jacob? Or was Jacob's name and story only mentioned around Locke and Ben and Hurley, when they were separated from the rest of the group, and Jack wouldn't have heard it mentioned? It seems odd to me that this is the case but the writers made a point in last night's episode to show that Jack had never heard of Jacob.

Did I miss something? Maybe I'll have to go back and watch seasons 3, 4 and 5 again to see if Jacob was mentioned to Jack. Or you 'Lost' fans who remember everything like it was yesterday can just tell me in the comments below.

donna

I don't think Sawyer is going to con Hugo at all. I think he's a bounty hunter who will be going after Kate after he finds out if there's a reward.

February 07 2010 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I thought episode LAX was great, I'm still pondering and wondering now!!
I dont think desmond was on the plane, perhaps he was looking for a constant!!
Sawyer was deffo gonna con Hugo!!
Does Rose have a tumor still, coz if so then she hasnt long to live.
Did anyone notice Jack looked for a razor and a pen when he was trying to resussitate charlie, remember episode 1 he sent Boon to find a pen to get rid of him!!!!!

February 07 2010 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

Desmond being on the plane is not super confusing. His whole life before was wrapped up in the island however since his potential father in law never left the island and Penny was likely never born how he is wrapped up in the island has fundamentally changed. Who knows why he is on flight 815 but it is for sure that he is somehow tied to the island in ways we don't understand yet. I am curious as to why Locke still has a broken back when we were under the impression before that the island had something to do with that.

February 05 2010 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tmaz

Maybe Alternative Jack on his way back east can stop in at the Twin Towers & say hello to William Bell.........

February 05 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tmaz's comment
Kenny

Funny...I would LOVE to see Nimoy on Lost!

February 10 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Special Agent Dale Cooper

I see that this was already mentioned in comment #23 above.

February 05 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Special Agent Dale Cooper

Did anyone notice that Jack's hair was really short (buzz cut) in Season 1, but when he's back on the plane on Season 6, his hair is longer? Is this an oversight on the show, or is this intentional?

February 05 2010 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
breliedtke

At the end of Season 5 ("The Incident") Sun asks "Who is Richard?" when her group catches up to the other group, led by "Locke," already at the foot. I was taken aback by the thought that she had never met or heard of Richard. But, then again, why would she have? Same thing with Jack and Jacob. He may have heard his name before but had no reason to really know who he was/is.

February 05 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to breliedtke's comment
Donna

Sun & jack rarely moved off the beach, sun especially didnt venture far from the beach, so would never heard of jacob or richard.
When jack did venture off the beach he always went back.

February 07 2010 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philip

Could the blood on jacks neck be from a needle injection he doesn't remember? Coffin gone etc. Also when is Charles Widmore going to show. He has to be scheming in this reality just like the other.

February 04 2010 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philip's comment
Rappapod

Widmore is dead in this reality due to the bomb blast since his younger self, including young Ben, were on the island at the time.

February 06 2010 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
literaryluv

I have to agree that the characters are NOT mirror images but are the same people. I believe that Hurley was being sarcastic and that Sawyer's comment was his own way of being ironic (I bet you in future episodes he will reconnect with Hurley to try to con him).

Also, I think that in the compliance with the structure of LOST, season 6 will follow suit:

Seasons 1-3: We have flashbacks and the present and the pursuit of how these two timelines will finally meet.

Seasons 4-5: We have flashforwards and the present and once again, the pursuit to see how these two timelines will finally meet.

Season 6: With the flashsideways and present I predict a meeting of the timelines again or perhaps the inevitable outcome of the alternate Losties finding their way back to the island regardless of it currently being underwater.

February 04 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

My biggest question about the premiere was if Desmond was really on the plane

February 04 2010 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply