November 1, 2014

Brittany Murphy Died of Pneumonia and Anemia, Coroner Says

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 4th 2010 1:25PM
Brittany MurphyAll of the speculation involving the death of actress Brittany Murphy can stop now. The coroner says that she died from pneumonia and anemia. The drugs that were in her system were all prescription drugs, including cramp medication, and over the counter (cough syrup). The medication she took didn't help things at all (she wouldn't have been as bad off if she hadn't take the medication while being sick) but the actual cause of death was the pneumonia and anemia.

Of course, this doesn't mean that she couldn't have been saved. TMZ is reporting that authorities at the coroner's office say that Murphy's death was "preventable" if only she had been taken to the hospital sooner. This is probably the part of the coroner's report that family and friends don't want to hear about.

According to the IMDb, Murphy had worked on two movies before she died, 'Abandoned' and 'Something Wicked.'

Joyce N.

Excuse me, but I thought youwere alluding to that, MJL. My error. They list her death as "accidental" and "preventable".

February 04 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

They also added over the counter drugs were also in her system.

February 04 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

If you read the latest TMZ posting, it says all the drugs in her system were prescription drugs. Nothing illegal.

February 04 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
MJL

Who said anything about the drugs being illegal?

February 04 2010 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

Uh, every other news outlet is reporting that "multiple drug intoxication" was also a cause of death.

February 04 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to MJL's comment
aliya

Reading this just makes me so sad; she was one of my favourite actresses and such an underrated talent (why she was never nominated for Girl, Interrupted I will never know). She really shone on screen whenever she appeared and that laugh of hers was so infectious. She was not only talented in acting and singing but in interviews always seemed so sweet, humble and above all genuine (something that is a rarity in Hollywood).
Rest in peace, Brittany.

February 04 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I've had pneumonia twice in the last five years and it can really sneak up on you. You may think you've got just a cold and a bad cough and that if you wait long enough it'll get better, but of course all this time you're really getting worse because it's not being treated with the right medications and you're not getting the rest you need. Even the second time I got it -- and that time it was double pneumonia -- it was more than a week before I saw a doctor. Rest in peace, Brittany.

February 04 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

This still pains me every time I watch King of the Hill. The incredible quality of her voice acting there has really been underappreciated.

February 04 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply