First look at Ellen DeGeneres on 'American Idol'

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 4th 2010 4:48PM
American Idol Season 9 Cast Photo
Last night, we just had our eighth audition episode of 'American Idol,' and I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm ready to get to Hollywood. As much as I enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris and Kristin Chenoweth, I'm also ready to see what Ellen DeGeneres is going to do in her new role as Idol's fourth judge.

Luckily, FOX has just released a promo for Hollywood week, which is next week. At that point, DeGeneres joins the judges table for the first time to whittle down the 181 people who received Golden Tickets to 24 semi-finalists. For those of you who have watched the show in previous seasons, you know it's not a quick process: these contestants will be performing over three nights, with the Top 24 not being revealed until Wednesday, February 17.

The following week, we get our first live shows, with the top 12 girls and the top 12 boys performing, with the results show on Thursday, February 25. So while I'm excited to see DeGeneres start this week, I'm really waiting for the voting to start the following week.

Here's the promo that's kicking it all off:

Are you looking forward to Ellen coming on, or are you digging the guest judges?

Mary

I dont know what to think now with american idol...with these old and new judges...
but i will still watch american idol...there are some good talent out there..but i love to see when they show really funny and really bad singers...i feel sorry for most ...because they are really serious about this stuff

February 15 2010 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

I'm with you!

February 09 2010 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

I can not stand Ellen.
Eight years and I'm Done!
Time to watch the Cable stations!

February 09 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I will not watch Idol anymore due to Ellen being on. The show will be doing its "jump the shark " year and go down in flames due to her presence.

February 07 2010 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicvod

I hate Ellen and I hate Idol so now I can not watch each of them together.

February 07 2010 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MD

Can not stand DeGerneras! Will not watch Idol anymore as long as she's on the show! Period!

February 07 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vickie

I agree ...kara acts like she is on a silly pill all the time and thinks she knows it all.....that stunt she pulled with the bathing suit was really horrendous for someone her age....i can't stand her and want Paula back....ellen will do just fine and we don't need 4 judges....get rid of Kara...

February 07 2010 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neatnostalgia

GAG, GAG, GAG . . .was what I did when Kara showed up in the 4th seat . . . VOMIT, VOMIT, VOMIT WHEN Ellen shows up!! No more Idol for me!!!

February 07 2010 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JUDY

I love Ellen and I love her show but I think that American Idol made a serious mistake in having her as one of the judges. I am sure that this is Ellen's way of getting back to nighttime tv but the show will never be the same. We will now have the "Ellen" show. I wish that they would have kept the three judge panel with Kara, Randy and Simon. The real stars of the show and the ones we get attached to are the contestants and I just think that Ellen's ego will not allow that dynamic. If Simon leaves the show I will leave with him.

February 07 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Audrey, CA

For starts let's wait and decide about Ellen AFTER she has made at least one appearance as an Idol judge, OK? Second, why would someone suggest a rock star for a judge? I'm not that fond of rock and neither are several million other Americans, there is other music believe it or not!
And why did that other person go into a tirade about Ellen's sexual preferences? No one had mentioned it previously?! I can't understand why people are so vitriolic these days.

February 07 2010 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply