November 22, 2014

What Would 'The Big Bang Theory' Be Like Without the Laugh Track?

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 4th 2010 2:26PM
I love seeing TV shows and movies with something taken away from them. Even comic strips, as 'Garfield Minus Garfield' shows, can become completely different when seen in a different context.

This video is a scene from 'The Big Bang Theory' with the laugh track taken out. It gives you a little hint as to what a show with a big laugh track is like with the laughs taken out. Without the laughs (and the build up to them), the lines suddenly seem more...intense and weighty (I guess it doesn't help that you don't know what came before this scene if you haven't seen it before).

[via Pop Candy]

Silversmart

The point is we do not need to worry about this because this show is going to be the funniest with or without it.

February 10 2010 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Tynne

"The Big Bang Theory" is filmed before a live audience. In fact, I've seen that the audience laughter is toned -down- in some cases for the broadcast version.

February 07 2010 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I love this show. Bizinga !!!!

February 05 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

It is weird without the laugh track...but, I still laughed!

February 05 2010 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derrel

I am hearing impaired, not deaf, not that that actually makes any difference.
I watch the Big Bang Theory with closed captions, so I wasn't aware of the laugh track/audience anyway.
Excellent show!
which means CBS will probably cancel it soon...

February 05 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lissa

I HATE laugh tracks. Have you ever watched these shows after coming home from a bar? All you hear is the damn laugh track..it sticks out like a sore thumb. Will and Grace was the worst, and Chelsea Lately is starting to get bad, but Big Bang isn't too bad. CBS sometimes goes a little overboard with a few of their scenes in their Monday and Wednesday lineup..but that should all just take a note from ABC-who doesn't have a laugh track on most their shows.

February 05 2010 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TcBloo

I wish they would get rid of all laugh tracks. It takes so much away from it. Live audience is ok if they do not have sign telling them when to laugh

February 05 2010 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bilko

Bob, you ignorant slut:

BBT shoots everything, except a few scenes before a live audience. The non-live scenes are shot the day before for time purposes, edited and then slid into the tape night show. They take the "live laughs" and lay them in. The only laugh track comes from the studio audience. I have worked on many shows that do precisely what you say, but you are way off on BBT. Do your homework.

February 05 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kgdug

The Big Theory Show is one of the few on prime television that is really good. I hate prime t.v. anymore, it stinks. I watch all cable stations now. But the Big Bang, Two and Half Men, House are just the few I watch. I watched the little video above and still laughed without the laugh track, the show is frickin funny, I love those guys in it. I don't even pay attention to the laught track when it does play because if a show stinks it stinks with or without the track.

February 05 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xxscoffxx

I watch the old Scooby Doo's sometime and they have laugh tracks. Isn't that odd to add a laugh track to a cartoon!? It's much better without one. Maybe this show will be too.

February 05 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply