August 21, 2014

Is Christopher Meloni Really Done with 'Law and Order: SVU'?

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 5th 2010 4:02PM
christopher_meloni_law_and_order_svuThings haven't really been going very well on NBC, and now here's another kick in the shins. Actor Christopher Meloni is talking about leaving 'Law and Order: SVU' at the end of this season. That's right. No more New York detective Elliot Stabler. What's going on and why?

Well, after a dozen years pounding the pavement and fighting the good fight as Elliot, Meloni is interested in doing something else with his career. In an interview Down Under with the Australian Courier-Mail, Meloni said, "I think 12 years is enough." Eight is enough, yes, but twelve?

Anyway, Chris goes on to say that he has interest in doing film projects and returning to the theater. As for the future of Elliot on 'Law and Order: SVU,' Meloni believes he's giving the writers plenty of time to work out a satisfactory exit. He said, "The writers will have fertile ground to figure out how to arc [his way] out to another place, whether it's this world or the next."

Hmm... that sounds an awful lot like Meloni would like to see Stabler get killed off. It wouldn't be too difficult. The character has been seriously injured along the way and considering his dedication to the job, it wouldn't be a shocker if he died in service.

NBC will not be happy about a 'Law and Order: SVU' shake up. If there's one show the network would want to return to its glory -- and a 10 o'clock ratings winner -- it's 'SVU.' The Jay Leno experience mucked up 'SVU's' following. They would probably try to replace Meloni, because that's what Dick Wolf does with all his 'L&O' franchises. It's just not going to work on 'SVU.' The show works best with Benson and Stabler sharing the load.

ambsalmons

It is a shame to lose one of the prime actors on this show. Maybe he can make appearences on the show...It will not be the same without him. When you get so much into one character like Benson and Elliott it will be hard to replace either actor with another. If theyd lose Olivia they might as well drop the show. Wish you well Chris with what you do

January 19 2012 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ambsalmons

January 19 2012 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashlee Wilkerson

This is hrrible new! I have been a huge fan of these two and idk if it will be the same afters hea gone:( They have been a very big role model for me. This is the best show ever I love watching the show and it always is the highlight of my day. Today there is a a fathers day marathon on and when it hit 5 I ran to my room pishing past my dad in the hallway just so that I disnt miss the begining.
Thank you can making thos show Mr. Wolf
Forever SVU fan
*Ashlee

June 19 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarmen

Elliot and Olivia make the best partners ever and it will be very hard to come to terms with Elliot not being there.
I don't want to see a new person taking Elliot's place but I wouldn't mind if Fin became Liv's partner and Munch works from headquarters as he is getting a bit too old for action.

April 05 2010 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fannie

if chris goes guess i will never watch law and order svu again, i love how he acts, i may even stop watching channel 4 wth i dont like these reality shows and law and order svu is my favorite show but chris not in it well that will never be watched by me again.

February 24 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Please Chris....DON'T GO!!!!!!!

February 24 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j.d.gleason

TIME FOR DET.MIKE LOGAN TO RETURN L%O

February 24 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I do not like change on the Law and Order franchise, I really
hope it is the musings of an actor and not reality.

February 06 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

I always thought they would throw Liv and Elliot together, but the writers failed miserably at that. I could see the Russians coming back to get El for revenge and killing off his family. I thought that would be heart wrenching, but dramatic story arc especially since it reminded me of one of my favorite L&O episodes back in the day.

February 06 2010 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

wait, didn't Hargitay and Meloni get a new contract and big pay raise to continue as Benson & Stabler over the Summer ? and I prefer D'Onofrio and Erbe as Goren & Eames over on L&O : CI but we know what happened over there, SIGH

February 06 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply