April 18, 2014

Showrunner David Goyer Leaves 'FlashForward'

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 6th 2010 5:04PM
FlashForwardSince this past fall, have we heard any good news about 'FlashForward?'

First, the show shut down production for a week to work out some creative issues (that's code for ABC execs not liking where the story was going). Then the drama's initial showrunner, Mark Guggenheim, got outta Dodge. And then, ABC announced an early DVD release for the first half of the season before it resumes its 23-episode freshman run in March. But wait -- there's more! Don't forget that ABC cut the episode order too. The first season was supposed to be 25 installments long.

Well, the bad news keeps on coming as Variety is reporting that Guggenheim's replacement, David Goyer, is also stepping aside.

A third showrunner (in one season?!) has yet to be named. Goyer plans to focus on his film career but will still stay on as an executive producer for 'FlashForward.'

While the show started off strong back in September, since then it's been plagued with poor critical reception and ratings that have dropped off severely. Now with this news, coupled with all the other bad press previously mentioned, it's looking more and more like if 'FlashForward' had its own blackout, it wouldn't see much of a future for itself.

katroberts

The only reason it's in trouble is that it is yet *another* ABC show that is good. I don't remember the names but recall the botched bank robbery one? Recall the one with 3 main men (not to be confused with "Men of a Certain Age" on TNT, which is good). For that matter, if Men of a Certain Age were on ABC, it would shut it down right in the middle, or right when you'd get revelations on who did it. They cannot seem to hold onto a show for more than 4 showings. They barely give it *time* to pick up ratings. "V" is supposed to return in March (as is Flash Forward). Think it will?

February 12 2010 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Give Flash Forward a chance. It has the makings to be the next Lost and Lost is the best show ever. V might prove to be good too as well as new show Person's Unknown.

February 07 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaath

I said in the very beginning this show was in trouble and ta-da... There's the proof! It's like I can see into TV future.

February 06 2010 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John From Raleigh

Flashforward has potential.....

I am very late to "Lost" as a matter of fact, I am just now watching it on Hulu. I am 5 episodes into season 2..

Quite honestly, I don't feel this show got great until this season. Much like Flashforward, I enjoy the show each week and I was interested in where it was going but it is really this second season of Lost which I am really digging.

I wish networks could work out an economic model which allowed them to stick with a show for at least an initial complete season.

Also, I am late to watching Tv shows on the computer, but now that I am starting I am enjoying this quite a bit. Does anyone factor in a web audience for rating.

February 06 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cali

I really enjoyed watching this show.. I hope they don't take it off. It kept me waiting to watch it every week. Why is that every time they put on a show i like and they take it off the air?? That pisses me off, when they do that. All the charcters in this show are good.

February 06 2010 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply