September 3, 2014

The most surreal ad I've ever seen: Letterman, Oprah, and ... Leno?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 7th 2010 8:15PM
Super Bowl Ad: Letterman, Leno, OprahThe first big Super Bowl shocker came early tonight, in a CBS promo, no less. The Super Bowl is on CBS, so it's no surprise we get a shot of David Letterman on a couch in his Colts jersey, but here's where things get weird: he's at a Super Bowl party with Oprah, and he's complaining about how it's the worst Super Bowl party ever.

We then see Jay freakin' Leno, who says that Letterman is only saying that because he's there. Letterman then mocks Leno, and then we see that this whole thing is a promo for 'The Late Show with David Letterman.'

How in the hell did this happen?

I truly believe that there is animosity between Leno and Letterman that started in the first Late Night War and continued into the Second Late Night War. So to not only have these two guys appear in an ad together, but to appear in an ad for 'The Late Show,' while Leno is getting ready to return to 'The Tonight Show' and once again become Letterman's competition, is the strangest thing I've ever seen. I can't even concentrate on the game right now, because this Blew. My. Mind.

The idea isn't completely new-- it's a play off of a 2007 Super Bowl ad featuring Letterman and Oprah on a couch-- but this just takes it to an entirely new and amazing level. By the way, in case you were wondering, the spot was filmed on Letterman's turf: The Ed Sullivan Theater in New York, where he films 'The Late Show.' (UPDATE: Here's the whole story from Bill Carter of the New York Times.)

Here's the 2007 ad:

ghdshop

The ghd straighteners have become extremely popular over recent years.GHD hair straightener is the most popular irons for curling or straightening hair.Sepecially, GHD IV Styler.What is more,GHD hair straighteners are able to provide the perfect solution to their needs. Every girls and women know that ghd hair straighteners could be make them more beautiful.

March 29 2010 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

it's done and over with. Have you seen an airing of the commercial lately?

March 16 2010 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I gotta admit, the first time I saw the commercial it did strike me like "did I just see what I thought I saw?", but after a few viewings it's just like anything else the Networks force us to put up with.

March 16 2010 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThisNewz

Yup, it's almost like these guys (and woman) are rich entertainers who understand that they are in the business of getting butts in seats for advertisers! And that all this back and forth schtick is just for the sake of entertaining people - like they don't even really mean it! hmmm...

February 08 2010 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

What this shows, is that first and foremost, these two guys are comedians. Good for them!

February 08 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zoidbert

What would have made it epic would have been Conan showing up with a pizza and asking, "where am I supposed to sit?"

February 08 2010 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I don't understand why Leno would agree to promote Letterman's show when it's going to be his direct competition again come March 1st (or whenever).

February 08 2010 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Greg's comment
RevJonathan

It was just as much a promotion for Leno as Letterman. He was on TV during the most watched event ever.

February 10 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

The link to the NYTimes story is wrong. Here's the real one:

February 08 2010 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brett Alan's comment
Joel Keller

Thanks. Cut-and-paste error on my part. It's been fixed.

February 08 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Could it also mean that Dave shows up in a Jay ad for his return to the Tonight Show?

February 07 2010 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Deezul's comment
themediablog

I wouldn't hold my breath.

February 08 2010 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Never before has an ad made my jaw drop in surprise like this one did. I thought the space time continuum had exploded.

Plus Letterman is going to now be boycotted by Conan fans probably...

February 07 2010 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply