September 1, 2014

The Super Bowl Commercials: The Best

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 7th 2010 11:22PM
betty white super bowl snickersLook, I knew as soon as I saw the promo for 'The Late Show with David Letterman' that featured Letterman, Oprah and Jay Leno, that nothing was going to top that. There was just no way anything could be better than that 15-second ad. While I was correct, there were some commercials for non-CBS products that put a smile on my face. Of course there were many others that made me groan, wince or sigh, but Bob's handling those.

The videos below are from Hulu, because they were the first ones available. If you can't view them due to location restrictions, they will all be up at Fanhouse.

Snickers: "Betty White" - Honestly, no matter what she's selling or what she's doing in the ad, anything that involves Betty White is automatically going on my list. As far as I'm concerned, she can do no wrong, and this Snickers commercial featuring Abe Vigoda is no exception.

Doritos: "Play Nice" - Overall, I thought the Doritos commercials sucked this year. The casket one was particularly annoying. However, this one, where the little kid just up and slaps her mom's suitor sounds obnoxious as I'm writing about it, but it made me laugh. This is one that can really go either way, but the kid is painfully cute, and he really sells it.

Coke: "Hard Times" - It's a 'Simpsons' Coke commercial! While we don't have any of the regular voices (save for a Millhouse line at the end), we do have just about every Springfield resident on hand to first revel in Mr. Burns' collapse and misery, and then to lend him a hand, or a Coke, as it were. While I would have liked it better if it were a funny spot, seeing 'The Simpsons' characters is always a good thing.

Bud Light: "Voice Box" - Bob did not like this spot. I'll fully admit that it's dumb, but there's something about T-Pain that just never fails to crack me up. Come on, "pass the guacamole" is hilarious.

Flo TV: "Moments" - Flo TV is actually responsible for my absolute least favorite ad of the night; the one with the guy shopping in the mall with his girlfriend. However, this ad, set to The Who's 'My Generation' and filled with clips of major events from the beginning of television all the way up to today is so well done that it almost makes up for the unfunny, sexist crap of the other spot. Almost.

Home Away: "Hotel Hell Vacation"
- It's the Griswolds! Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo star in this ad for a website I've never heard of, Homeaway.com. I don't know if it's a good website or not, but resurrecting the couple from 'National Lampoon's Vacation' is a brilliant idea. Chase has made a fantastic resurgence in 'Community' this year, so seeing him anywhere just makes me happy.

Google: "Search On" - They don't say a word in this ad, yet they manage to tell the entire story of a guy falling in love with a woman during a trip to Paris. As far as branding goes, this is the most successful ad of the night. Not only does it reinforce the fact that you can use Google for everything, but it positions itself as something that you can always turn to throughout your life. It's simple, elegant, and amazingly well-done.

RobynM

Betty White is always a classic. Bonus points for Abe Vigoda.

The Simpsons Coke spot was more heartwarming than I expected.

The Google spot was sweet - bonus amusement points for 'who is the stig' being at the top of the suggestion list for 'who is t'.

Stevie Wonder and Tracy Morgan were adorable in the VW spot.

I did like the "My Generation" spot, even though it made me feel really old. will.i.am did a nice job on the remix.

Not the big Chevy Chase fan, so the HomeAway spot didn't really impress me.

The Kia spot got bonus points from me for using a Yo Gabba Gabba toy.

It was still a pretty mediocre-to-bad year for Super Bowl commercials overall, though.

February 08 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryK

I liked the NCIS promo that claimed head slapping was replacing hand shaking.

February 08 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debrev2002

No one mentioned the Bridgestone Whale rescue one. I thought the last line was great "Now that's what I call a bachelor party"

I also liked the Hyumdai Brett Farve one. But I like most any ad with someone who can laugh at themselves and not at another's expense.

February 08 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

The only one that made me laugh outloud, and therefore my favorite, is the Doritos dog bark collar commercial. Loved the douche twitching like a fish at the end.

Other than that, Betty White is always great...the rest were ho-hum.

February 08 2010 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dan's comment
Trevor

2nd these two...my favorites of the night.

February 08 2010 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Google = genius, that was quintessential branding. Next favorite is Snickers = who can not vote for Betty White and Abe Vigoda (who is often rumored to be dead, poor guy.) Third goes to VW for punch buggy = Stevie Wonder yelling 'red' and punching Stacy Morgan at the end is priceless.

February 08 2010 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

How is it possible that Abe Vigoda is still alive?

February 08 2010 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Flo TV shows the destroyed OKC Federal Building, the terrorist who blew it up, Ground Zero after 9/11, the Superdome after Katrina...to sell me a TV?

And you think this was one of the BEST ads of the Super Bowl? This ad made me want Flo TV to go bankrupt tomorrow. I'm never buying ANYTHING that uses Tim McVeigh in a commercial.

February 08 2010 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matt's comment
Dorv

Matt, whoa there, tiger. It was a montage of moments in television history, of course you have to include those moments.

My favorite was the 1983 NCAA Final Four, with Dereck Wittenburg to Lorenzo Charles for the NCSU Wolfpack to beat Houston.

February 08 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

- Google ad made me smile as did The Simpsons ad.
- Superbowl Shuffle was funny in an awful way
- The VW Punch Buggy ad was amusing.
- Also a special mention to Go Daddy for somehow making boobs boring to football fans. Seriously give the ads a rest.

Yeah the good ads didn't outweigh the bad.

February 08 2010 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

My favorites not already mentioned here:
1. Monster.com: beavers playing fiddles,
2. Budweiser: human bridge for delivery truck,
3. Hyundai: Brett Favre still indecisive retiring in 2020 at age 50,
4. Bud Light spoofs "LOST",
5. Bridgestone Tires spoofing "The Road Warrior",
6. Kia Sorento: stuffed toys joy ride,'
7. All the Doritos ads, very imaginative.

I was generally impressed with many more ads this time than in Super Bowls past, maybe I was just paying more attention this time, though.

February 08 2010 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I thought the Google commercial was the best commercial of the night. There were some funny ones, but that's the one that will stick with me.

February 07 2010 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply