October 31, 2014

3D Game Shows? 'Wheel of Fortune' Could Be First

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 8th 2010 8:35AM
Wheel of FortuneI can think of about 75 changes to television I'd like to see before this, but apparently they're thinking of bringing 3D technology to game shows. Last Friday, the producers of 'Wheel of Fortune' showed a 3D clip of the show at Sony's 3D Technology Center. Executive producer Harry Friedman says he's "interested in keeping [the show] fresh...without changing the game." One of the ways to do that is to change the way the show is filmed, the set, and the technology used. It's a tricky thing though. Even if you don't change the game at all, 'Wheel of Fortune' has been around for a very long time and dedicated fans like things the way they are.

Is 3D television something you'd actually watch on a regular basis, or is it something you'd want to use rarely, maybe for movies or playing video games? While there are now 3D television sets being sold, I'm still not sold on the technology. I certainly don't want to wear any special glasses or change the way I watch TV in any way just to see someone buy a vowel.

Steve

It will be cool-Like a new adventure!
Hope it does go through.
Just one thing-Is Wheel of Fortune going to mail 3d glasses to all of it's viewer's?

February 09 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dollena buckley

a lot of older watchers have eye problems and 3d makes it worse

February 09 2010 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rita merrick

I don't need 3D to enjoy the show and I don't want to buy special equiptment to watch the show. Wheel is just fine the way it is now.

February 09 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
texloompa1

Are we really that bored that we need everything in 3-D now?

February 09 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catmoves

Dangnabit! Now I gotta get me some of those newfangled 3D glasses. Wonder if Wallyworld sells 'em?

February 09 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann Hemrick

I don't think I would like 3D--I have been watching Wheel of Fortune since it started. It is one of my favorite shows. I think we do need to see the puzzel more on TV.
I can guess these answers faster than the contestants most of the time. Keep it like it is because I would hate to stop watching it.

Thanks, Ann Hemrick

February 09 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notforme

3D not for me........ Don't want to wear those damn glasses all the time. And besides, after awhile, I get terrible headaches from watching 3D. Bet there are others out there experiencing the same thing as I am too.
Not for me, pass on this techy idea....................

February 09 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

Wheel Of Fortune in 3D? Maybe, next season.
The biggest change I'd like to see on this show
(which has been overdue and deserves to happen),
is to have the $10,000 space become perminant
after the 4'th round for additional time left over
before the speed-up round. If the producers
still can't afford $10,000 a letter after all these
seasons, how about at least a $5,000 Toss-Up
Puzzle to fill the extra time?

February 09 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ellen

Debbie is correct. The puzzles are not shown for a long enough time, especially the final puzzle. Pat Sajak talks too much while we are trying to concentrate on solving the puzzle! (I like Pat, but he's too chatty and he's too touchy-feely with the female contestants. Does he really need to hold their hands while walking a few feet to look at the final puzzle board? He doesn't hold the men's hands!) As for 3D--really, not needed: the game's the thing, not a 3D gimmick.

February 09 2010 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

What I would like to see happen is to SHOW the puzzles. This is something my family likes to watch and see who can get the puzzle first. But they are constantly showing the wheel or the contestants and you have 2 seconds to look at the puzzle.

February 09 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Debbie's comment
isedso

I totally agree with you Debbie. I wrote to the show about them not showing the puzzle and how frustrating it is and never got a reply. I guess they don't care. All they would have to do is show the puzzle in the corner of the screen when they want to do a camera shot of the contestants or the wheel. Sometimes I get so frustrated I turn the show off.

February 09 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply