July 31, 2014

Lauren Graham in 'Parenthood,' More Than Lorelai Gilmore 2.0?

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 8th 2010 3:04PM
lauren_graham_wb_gilmore_girlsMaybe it's just me, but in every promotion for NBC's upcoming family dramedy 'Parenthood,' the images of Lauren Graham has a 'Gilmore Girls' vibe. Will Lauren be able to convincingly play a new character, divorced mom Sarah Braverman, and erase the nostalgic shadow cast by her performance as single mother Lorelai Gilmore? Or are we to believe what the NBC ads are showing us -- that Sarah B. is really just Lorelai 2.0.

According to Joel, who saw the pilot, Sarah is no Lorelai. She's not chummy-chummy with her children. She's a lot tougher and more of a mom than a buddy. That would definitely be different from 'Gilmore Girls.' Lorelai and Rory's relationship was unique because they were really best friends... most of the time.

It'll be interesting to watch the different dynamic on 'Parenthood,' especially since the ad purposely sets out to be 'Gilmore Girls'-esque. Take a look and tell me this doesn't remind you of Lorelai taking Rory to Chilton in season one:

At the recent TCA gathering, Lauren was happy as can be about the new show. She told Michael Ausiello, "I felt like it could be a collaborative, positive experience and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's just the most fun day at work."

There's a lot of quality pedigree for 'Parenthood,' too. The 'Friday Night Lights' creative team -- Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, and executive producer Jason Katims -- have been putting this together. The cast, including Lauren, is first rate: Peter Krause, Craig T. Nelson, Dax Shepard. The only fly in the ointment is that the show is on NBC. Perhaps this show can be part of a turn-round for the network...

To be perfectly honest, if 'Parenthood' does have a 'Gilmore Girl' influence because Lauren Graham that's not a bad thing. She may never do a 180 and be someone totally apart from that character, but she may not need to be. I plan on watching her anyway.

Autum

I liked it, and it wasn't just all about her. It was the NBC's version of ABC's Brothers & Sisters except I wish it would of explained who all the peoples realtionships were. I didn't catch the bother's name until almost the end of the epi. Hope this does well. I have always liked Peter.

March 05 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kel

Never gonna pull this off. Even if it survives viewer critiques, this is NBC we're talking about, with more cancellations than not this year so far.

February 17 2010 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheri

I agree with Charles and Chuck. And even though I am a big fan of Gilmore Girls and still watch it in reruns pretty much every day, when I watch the promos for Parenthood, I don't think of GG/Lorelai at all. I actually feel sorry for those who can't see an actor beyond one specific character that they have played. It really limits their ability to see the actors talents and what they can bring to a different character. I am really anxious for March 2nd to see Parenthood and see what Lauren and everyone else in the show brings to it. It really looks like it is going to be amazing. People need to stop analizing things to the enth degree and just enjoy something new.

February 08 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolina

Charles and Chuck are RIGHT. This comparison is annoying. Parenthood looks absolutely fabulous and I think it's ridiculous that just because Lauren is playing a mother that it automatically makes her Lorelai Gilmore - and what about the other promos? Nothing Glimore-like about her roaring at her daughter and dragging her daughter to the car. Since you've admittedly not seen the pilot - please, PLEASE let this show actually actually air before we start judging Lauren as Sarah Braverman. This incredibly talented actress deserves that more than anyone I know.

February 08 2010 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Well I was drafting a reply until I read Charles' above, it says what I wanted to far better than me - this whole item had a "we need to fill space" feel about it. Who knows the quality or quantity of a new show until we see it.

February 08 2010 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles melrose III

Please let this be the last time these juvenile comparisons of characters past and present draw breath on this site. If you're obsessed with Gilmore, watch reruns. The "nostalgic shadow" is not cast by her performance--it's generated by the inability of folks on this site to separate characters from actors. All Graham's remarkable earlier work has to do with her current role is to raise legitimately our expectations that she'll contribute to the creation of another iconic character. Different writers, different character, different story...let it go. You guys pigeonhole performers more severely than any casting professional ever would.

February 08 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to charles melrose III's comment
Jimmy_MO

Dude, chill. It's a free country. The people on this site can, just like you, say what they wish and compare what they wish. No one says you have to visit this site if you don't like it. There are, literally, hundreds of entertainment sites on the web.

February 08 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belladonna

Sorry, Lauren is always Lorelai, and I love her for it!

February 08 2010 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Can you imagine Maura Tierney in that scene outside the school? Screamed Gilmore to me when I saw it a week or so ago, too.

February 08 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply