Howard Stern Says He Really Is Interested in Simon's Idol Seat

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 9th 2010 9:10AM
Howard SternLove him or hate him, Howard Stern has confirmed his interest in Simon Cowell's seat on 'American Idol'. This goes along with the earlier announcement that 'Idol' producers are interested as having Stern as a judge.

This entire situation seems more sound and fury and it's unlikely that anything would come of it. All Stern has in common with Cowell is the ability to be obnoxious and denigrating of other people. Cowell at least had ties to the music industry before appearing as an 'Idol' judge. While Howard Stern does work in radio, he thankfully has not released a CD of himself singing the Beatles' greatest hits. If he has, I missed it.

Most likely this situation is being used by Stern as a bargaining chip for a renegotiation of his contract with Sirius. Stern would be too much of a turn-off for the majority of viewers for 'American Idol'. If he does end up replacing Cowell, then it could signal the beginning of the end of 'American Idol'.

zmac

....please not howard............

February 21 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EASIM

Idol is a singing talent show - not a filthy sex starved talk show. Lets keep to judges that know a lot about singing.

February 16 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I dont think the judges on AI are all that important to the success of the show. For me, its all about the music, and I think a lot of people who watch the show would agree. After all, AI became a huge ratings hit with an incoherent wack job as one judge and a slang spouting guy who only ever has about four or five responses to any performance as another. Everyone says Simons' opinion is the only one anyone pays attention to because he is honest and direct. He is also the only one whose comments make any sense on a regular basis. Even so, I dont think he is irreplacable. As I said, its about the music, the judges are mostly window dressing.

February 09 2010 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Howard Stern on American Idol = me not watching American Idol ever again.

February 09 2010 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

What is everyone worried about, this is never going to happen. Howard wouldn't even fly to LA for an appearance on the last Conan show.

These type of rumors about Stern happen all the time, he milks it for content on his show and nothing ever happens. He'd never leave NYC for any reason. He did the same thing last year about Dancing with the Star when Beth was rumored to be asked.

February 09 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Monty's comment
GL

Exactly.

I like Howard on the radio, but I don't think he would be right for the Idol core audience.

February 09 2010 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Ok, so if we don't like Howard Stern, we "know nothing about him"? Riiiiight. I used to have to listen to his crap every morning, as the girl at the desk next to mine thought he was awesome. It merely reinforced my opinion that he's a sexist, insulting ass. I don't find him endearing or "honest". It's not "honest" to blatantly say whatever you feel without any filter whatsoever, that's called being an ass.

This is all a stunt, ploy, whatever you want to call it, but this isn't reality. There are enough people whose feelings are similar to mine, that I don't think AI would ever go this route, or they'd be killing the show, for various reasons.

Sure, Simon is nasty in his own right, but he was originally placed in that position due to his background, and the "conflict" just seemed to add some spice. But.. having Ellen(not typically from a music-related background) and Stern(not typically from a music-related background) would severely mar any semblance of credibility the show may have had. It will be, as Stern was quoted as saying, just a "karaoke show".

February 09 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

I watched Stern's show when it was on after SNL years ago, and I listened occasionally when he was on terresterial radio. When I carpooled to work for six months because I couldn't drive, I listened to him on Sirius. So am I allowed to say he's not all that? I just never found him funny. Now, at age 50+, he seems kind of creepy with his high school humor. I'm sure SiriusXM will do JUST fine if he leaves.

I have no background in music, and I can be condescending. Can I be an Idol judge too?

February 09 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I listen to Howard all the time and as long as he's been on both radios. First he was a disk jockey long before he was a shock jock so he has some knowledge about music.
I personally would rather see Sirius sign him to a longer contract rather than go on American Idol. He's limited as to what he can do and say on national TV. This would be like him going back to terrestrial radio.

February 09 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peterutara

If you want to know Howards ability to judge music, just follow the link:

February 09 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TV-aholic

Howard Stern on American Idol would be a very bad, bad , bad idea. He has nor credibility, espcially in the Music Industry. He is not a "DJ" he is a personality. He has as much credibility on AI as does William Hung or Ellen D.

How does American Idol draw 5 million viewers?
Start with 30 million and ad Howard Stern to the cast.

February 09 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply