Powered by i.TV
October 23, 2014

Jeff Probst to Play, Wit, Last for Two More Seasons of 'Survivor'

by Scott Harris, posted Feb 9th 2010 11:30AM
Put down the picket signs and call off those hunger strikes, because our long national nightmare is finally over: Jeff Probst will be returning to 'Survivor.'

The long awaited news comes from Probst himself, who announced via his twitter feed that he has inked a deal with CBS to return as host of the popular reality series for two more seasons.

"Survivor fans: I'm jazzed and wanted to share with you guys first," Probst tweeted, no doubt from a secret jungle hideaway. "I'll be back snuffing torches for two more seasons (21&22) of Survivor."

Put down the picket signs and call off those hunger strikes, because our long national nightmare is finally over: Jeff Probst will be returning to 'Survivor.'

The long-awaited news comes from Probst himself, who announced via his twitter feed that he has inked a deal with CBS to return as host of the popular reality series for two more seasons.

"Survivor fans: I'm jazzed and wanted to share with you guys first," Probst tweeted, no doubt from a secret jungle hideaway. "I'll be back snuffing torches for two more seasons (21&22) of Survivor."

While that manifesto strained twitter's limited capacity, Probst did have time to expand on his decision making process in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

"
What has kept me interested in 'Survivor' for 20 seasons is the study of human nature," Probst told EW. "How we justify our ethics, and watching what happens to people when they are put in situations of extreme conflict. Sometimes it's hard to watch, and sometimes it's enjoyable to watch, but it is always interesting to watch."

Considering the success Probst and CBS have had together on 'Survivor,' which after 10 years remains a solid ratings hit, the deal may seem like a no-brainer. But after so many trips to remote and hostile environments to be eaten alive by parasites and glared at by surly contestants, there was speculation that Probst would turn in his tiki for greener -- and less crocodile-infested -- pastures, especially considering the debut of his recent special 'Live For the Moment.'

Probst pooh-poohed such talk.

"'Live For the Moment'
showed me how fun it is to do something new and to explore new topics ... But I want to be clear: It had nothing to do with whether I was coming back to 'Survivor,'" he said. "This was just taking a moment after 10 years to take a look at my future, and where I saw it going, and what I wanted to do with it, before signing my contract."

Despite his protestations, it's notable that Probst only re-upped for one year (two seasons) rather than the usual two-year, four-season agreements he has signed in the past. Still, if nothing else, the arrangement gives the network more time to plan for the previously unthinkable: a Probst-less future. Not that the host is worried about that either.

"I have always said that my belief is that the star of 'Survivor' is 'Survivor,'" he told Entertainment Weekly. "It is the format. So yes, if there came a point where I decided I was leaving 'Survivor,' I absolutely believe someone else could take over."

Let's all pray that day is still a long way off.

'Survivor' begins its 20th season this Thursday night with the two-hour premiere of 'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains.'

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

Follow Us

From Our Partners