October 23, 2014

MTV Finally Drops 'Music Television' From Its Logo

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 9th 2010 2:28PM
mtv logoAt one point in history, MTV was known for being on the cutting edge of young programming and was quick to pick up on change. However, the network seemed unusually reluctant to stray from its original Music Television name, despite the fact the rest of the world was well-aware that their "music" programming was virtually non-existent. This reluctance was even more weird when MTV's final bastion of music videos, 'Total Request Live,' had the afternoon spot wrenched from its weakened hands.

Well, MTV has finally caught up, making a visually minor but symbolically huge change to its logo: No more "music television."

As mentioned by The Live Feed, the new logo is pretty much just the old one but without the words "music television" along the bottom. Aesthetically, it makes the shape a little bit wonky but at least the network gets to maintain the general logo it has had since it kicked off in 1981.

Also, what does MTV stand for now? Heaven forfend, but should 'Jersey Shore' prove to be so successful that it keeps the network alive for another three decades, will "MTV" only make sense to those of us who know that it used to stand for "Music Television"? Perhaps, "MTV" will be quietly accepted for years, and when the youth of the future ask about it, our eyes will glaze over with memories of the days when music videos were played in full, and softly reply, "We don't talk about that anymore."

Joe

I remember MTV's 120 Minutes show, what an awesome way to be exposed to all different kinds of rock music and wall-to-wall videos. I discovered REM and others watching that program. And of course there was also the Headbanger's Ball too, those were the days!

March 26 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Does anyone else find it ironic that it took Michael Jackson's death for MTV to play videos all day long?

February 10 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evesin

To AP......................

You said that MTV was never Commercial Free - Sorry to say but you are WRONG.

I had it from Day One and it was definitely Commercial Free for quite awhile, at least the first full year.

It was on in my house even when I was at work 'cause my kids, their friends, the babysitter and her friends, and others never turned it off.

Weekends when I was home it was non-stop MTV. It took at least a year until I started pulling away from 24/7.

But it definitely WAS commercial free the first full year.

February 10 2010 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evesin

In 1981 I signed on to MTV, a 24/7 music channel, all videos with VJ's, Martha Quinn, Mark, Alan, TJ, can't remember all their names after almost 30 years.

I was a single Mom, raising 3 kids on my own with no support from my ex, working full time. I quickly became addicted to MTV. The music videos were fantastic back then - no scantily clad females, no sexual innuendos, no violence. I had no problem letting my kids watch the music they heard played on the radio and that I played on the stereo.

The neighborhood soon discovered my MTV and my kids friends, and their siblings, and parents began stopping my regularly on weeknights and weekends. MTV was the best thing that had ever happened to Music!

Slowly and sadly over the years MTV evolved into what it now is and VH1 has followed in their footsteps. I only watch VH1C Classics now but they don't even show 1/2 the great classic videos from MTV even though they have access to the full Library.

Their researchers are probably too young to remember the originals and they just show the same ones over and over again so they are already becoming redundant.

They have all the old tapes starting with '81, why don't they start showing them year by year on VH1C to the viewers and then let us choose the top 50 from each year and that can be their new videos. The ones that are not picked can go into the "back up" mode and when a change is needed, they can start being slipped in one by one.

If they advertise what they are doing, the baby boomers will flood back to VH1C - NOSTALGIA. Sponsors will pick up and VH1C will become a #1 Music Channel while MTV, MTV2 and VH1 can learn valuable lessons about what the music public wants.

That Metal Show should not be messed with, it is perfect just as it is.

February 10 2010 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

please bring back music videos i miss them so much- how often did you sit watching a video and saying hey this song is pretty good and the next time you went to the music store you were buying the album-oh wait a minute they stopped making those too. I enjoyed all the videos from A to Z.

February 10 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

It's time for MTV to go away...

February 10 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr, Pinball

The truth sometimes hurts, but its better than a lie. LONG LIVE ROCK 'N ROLL

February 10 2010 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

Bout time, since they haven't played anything that resembles music in over a decade. Now we're stuck with crap like Jersey Shore. Even the old game show 'Remote Control' in reruns would be better than the sh*t that passes for programming these days.

I miss the days of 'Headbangers Ball', or even 'Yo! MTV Raps!'. And the daily video countdown. How about TRL? I miss the days when MTV actually lived up to it's name. At least they played actual music videos. Things started rolling downhill when 'The Real World' became the precursor to the reality tv crap we have today. There's a show that seriously needs to get the ax. They're in what, season 47 now?

February 10 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

G, thats good "M=Mindless TV". Its a shame what it has come too. I remember sitting in front of my TV staring at static waiting for the second when the cable company was going to turn on MTV. That was back when cable remotes were corded with a big push button box. It was numbered 1-35 with big buttons and most buttons didn't even have a channel on them yet. When even with cable, you only had about 15 viewable channels and premium channels were HBO, PRISM, SHOW, and CINEMAX, and they only one channel a piece. And I am only 37. I look back in amazement on how much we advanced in such a short period of time. MTV went hand and hand with the revolution of a microwave that year. I remember staring at a microwave thinking that we just entered "Jetson" land. I remember my mom inviting relatives over to look at the new microwave like an Alien had just dropped it off. Now MTV is no longer music videos. And music videos are no longer "music". I wish I could go back in time.

February 10 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurie

Ok, to really get this you have to listen to it in a Grandpa Simpson Voice.....
AWWE...Phoey....IN my day, we had these things called radio and If you were lucky, you could sit around and hear a story, or listen to music..and we had these little things we put in the radio that looked like little glass buttons and they would glow..and we only spent an hour or so listening to the darn thing...now you got the flat screen with the 7.0 surround sound. Every thing changes, Evolves if you will, and like Steinbeck said, you can never go home again.. i guess you'll never get music TV again or you could get fat drinking your duff beer sitting on your duff, whilst you should be cutting the lawn or reading a story to your kids...don't wanna grow up to be a Homer.

February 10 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply