October 24, 2014

'Big Bang' Bazinga! Could Sheldon Be Gay?

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 10th 2010 9:00AM
big_bang_theory_jim_parsonsAs his 'Star Trek' hero Mr. Spock might say, this is 'fascinating.' When Chuck Lorre was asked to define Sheldon Cooper's sexual orientation on 'The Big Bang Theory,' his answer wasn't gay. It wasn't straight. Not even asexual or nonsexual or unsexual. Lorre settled on the term 'other,' for Sheldon.

Lorre told Michael Ausiello in Entertainment Weekly that Sheldon's focus is not on the physical; it's on physics. And when Ausiello asked 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons what he thought, Parsons said that the object of Sheldon's affection would be the Nobel Prize, not another human being. Hearing the word that Dr. Sheldon Cooper has been awarded the Nobel Prize in theoretical physics would be Sheldon's turn on. "That's the warm embrace that he longs for," said Jim.

This isn't the first time that questions have arisen about Sheldon's state of being. Last year there were some saying his lack of interest in human interaction was a sign that he had a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. Lorre and co-creator Bill Prady shot that one down, just like Lorre has blasted the notion of Sheldon's sexuality, in particular his disinterest in women, as a sign that he's gay.

While Howard, Raj and Leonard are all in need of sexual healing of the female persuasion, Sheldon's simply unmoved by sexual desire of any brand. "'Alternate reality' is another way of looking at it," said Lorre. "Characters like Sheldon are drawn to an alternate reality that might be more comforting than the ones they live in. And why modify that? Why not let the character be that unique?"

Sheldon is a unique character, and if he's like any other being we've seen and loved on TV, it might be Mr. Spock. If you recall, no matter how Nurse Chapel tried, Spock was simply uninterested in romantic entanglements. He only displayed real sexual urges in the 'Amok Time' episode, and that was strictly biological. Still, TV fans wanted to see Spock in love. And, perhaps, that's what we're seeing with Sheldon.

Jim Parsons thinks so. He told Ausiello, "People want to see him cared for in a way that those of us a little more average have been able to experience through love."

Lorre concluded that "...If touching other human beings of any gender is irrelevant to him, why label the thing? Why can't there be a third gender - male, female and Sheldon?" Why indeed?

[Check out clips of 'The Big Bang Theory' on SlashControl.]

Nikki

Well, Sheldon is definately a sexual being...in the pilot he and Leonard visit a sperm bank and Leonard makes a comment that Sheldon is 'semi-pro' at masterbating. So the only question is....what exactly does it for him?

February 11 2010 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kiki

I'd like to see Sheldon in a relationship like the one between Trudy and Adrian from USA's MONK...someone who he loves in a very pure and even childlike fashion, someone who amazes him more than physics and to have that person, in return, care for him enough to see past and not just endure but embrace his quirks. I think it woud be uplifting...though I'm not sure how it could be done, I am positive the brilliant writers could manage to keep a comic spin on it.

February 10 2010 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I agree with everyone who says Aspergers. I have a son with Aspergers, and he is a LOT like Sheldon (though not exactly like him). I have also taught many autistic spectrum kids (I'm a special ed teacher) over the past 33 years, and can tell you that he is definitely somewhere on the spectrum.

February 10 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wdosolaris

He's an alien!

February 10 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Mosley

I love Sheldon Just the way he is!

February 10 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

Just hook Sheldon up with Pammie Anderson. I'm sure he'd find something about her to interest him.

February 10 2010 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cannotbelievethis

No no no! Sheldon isn't an Asperger's sufferer, he is like Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Data HAD the skills to perform sexually in 346 different sex skills, but he was a machine, and one without emotions or social skills (he even had trouble using contractions)... Sheldon is more Android than Asperger's - why can't he just be a Sheldon? That's good enough!

February 10 2010 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I love the Big Bang Theory and I think all the characters are great on that show...and the actors who portray them are really good. When it first came out - the only reason I even watched it the first time was because of Johnny Galecki's involvement in the show. I always liked him on RoseAnne. And I still like him very much. All of them are good really. I never thought of this before, because I'm like most people "who cares what his sexual orientation is?" However, based on Chuck Lorre's answer of not asexual or unsexual but rather replied "other" I am wondering if isn't playing the ultimate joke on the viewers and characters and it will turn out that Sheldon is an alien being of some sort. Who knows and again who cares. This is a very funny show that is just fun to watch.

February 10 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

Big Bang theory is a very funny show. All of the characters are a bit different. Who really cares if Sheldon is gay or not? Does it really matter he's just very funny and plays his character very well as does the whole cast. Rock on Big Bang!! You Go Sheldon!

February 10 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jud

The writers for the show are just awsome. Not to mention the actors. I just don't know how Sheldon can keep a straight face for so many of his lines. Parsons is a true artist. Some day I would like to see out takes on this show. I wonder how many takes they have to do before someone does not break up. Great writers and the same for 2 and a half men. The actors on these shows must have a blast and really look forward to going to work every day. I know I would.

February 10 2010 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply