September 30, 2014

Phil Harris, the Captain from 'Deadliest Catch,' Passes Away

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 10th 2010 11:02AM
phil_harris_deadliest_catchThere's nothing more shocking than real reality. Death is real. Steve Irwin dying on the job, for instance, was a huge shock. Here's another dose of harsh reality. The star of Discovery Channel's 'Deadliest Catch,' Phil Harris, has died from a stroke. He had been at work on January 29, loading a catch like usual, when he suffered the stroke. After being flown to Anchorage for treatment, he succumbed despite having shown some improvement.

In a statement on the Discovery Channel web site, his grown children, Jake and Josh, explained, "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad -- Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down."

'Deadliest Catch' has emerged as one of the most popular shows on Discovery, right up there with 'Dirty Jobs,' and as intense as 'American Loggers.' People who appreciate the show have admired the real-life thrills of watching men working in one of the more dangerous professions out there. As Captain, Harris was an integral figure in the show and a colorful, memorable character.

"We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart," said Discovery Channel senior vice president Elizabeth Hillman in a statement.

densie

My prayers go out to the family. Mr. Harris was a hard working man. He will be missed.

February 13 2010 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merry

I have watched your father on the deadliest catch for the last two years. I have enjoyed watching the job that you'll do. I liked the way that your father was straight up and to the point. I will miss seeing him. My heart goes out to your family.

February 13 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barby

Jake and Josh - My heart is broken. Yours are STRONG. You are the Sons of the Captain's CAPTAIN's Captain. Your Dad is loved by so many people he couldn't fathom. We love YOU, too. Thank you for being there for your Dad. Your great loss is felt and shared by us. God's Blessings to Your Family. Barby ~ yet I cry and cry.

February 12 2010 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robertsawyer63

to jake and josh harris and the rest of the crew of the "corneliamarie",my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.i'm very sorry to hear the news of capt.phils passing. words will never cover our feelings on this terrible loss,the show will be that much emptier now.i know capt.harris is with the lord now and pray that you all can find some peace with that.i guess the lord needed a great crab boat skipper.R.I.P. captain phil,we'll miss you!!your fans in texas!!!

February 11 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I am sure the tributes from the other captains will be worth saving. Phil came across as so many men I have known, living by his own code with a way of parsing what you must do with what you should do. He will watch over the other ships for seasons to come.

February 10 2010 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert and deborah clark

we are sure going to miss ya phil......our love goes out to jake and josh.....

February 10 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fullbug

As someone who has watched the show from the start, this is a huge loss, he was my favourite captain and its going to be hard watching without him, rest in peace Phil, you will be really missed and never forgotten...

February 10 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

My sympathies to the Harris family. Phil you were a good guy.

February 10 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Terrible, terrible news.

Phil was a hard-working guy, and a great personality on the show. His job was very stressful, but he seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

Thoughts are with his family.

February 10 2010 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply