August 22, 2014

'Hawaii Five-0' Has Booked O'Loughlin

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 11th 2010 11:22AM
alex_oloughlin_the_shieldThere's something very satisfying when speculation and inside word turns out to be right on the money. That's the case with the casting for CBS's 'Hawaii Five-0.' Hollywood Reporter confirms that the man who will lead the detectives for this new CBS version 'Hawaii Five-0' is going to be Alex O'Loughlin.

Do you hear that sound? That's millions of 'Moonlight' fans exploding with joy that their favorite star has gotten the Steve McGarrett role. They're giddy with excitement because Alex is a star who as been searching for just the right role, just the right project, just the right hit that would keep him on the air. 'Hawaii Five-0' has a really good chance to succeed. Make that extremely good.

O'Loughlin will be paired with Daniel Dae Kim, the 'Lost' star, who was signed to play Detective Chin Ho Kelly, earlier this week. Still to come, casting wise, will be Dan-o, as in "Book 'em, Dan-o." James MacArthur played the part in the 1960s. The way it seems in today's casting world, Dan-o could be Danielle this time around. Wouldn't that be different?

What can we project about the new 'Five-0' is that it might be like the new 'Star Trek,' which -- if you remember -- was a feat of new casting. Chris Pine didn't channel William Shatner, but he sure created a believable Jim Kirk. O'Loughlin should, therefore, feel free to bring his own spin to McGarrett and not worry about Jack Lord's interpretation. Heck, most fans won't even remember Jack's acting style!

It's likely that the new 'Hawaii Five-0' will be like CBS's recent spinoff hit, 'NCIS: Los Angeles.' Spinoff, remake... same difference. They have the title, they have a guy from 'Lost,' and now they have hearth throb O'Loughlin. CBS will then give it a good spot on the schedule, and -- as Sheldon would say -- bazinga, another hit!

Janice Childs Farmer

I would love to watch the Moonlight reruns.

October 09 2012 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dgish68176

I watched Moonlight but it was cut short. Haven't figured that out yet. Alex is such a hunk, don't know why that showed failed. I would like him no matter what he does. I was so happy when they said he would be on 5-0, can't wait for the new season.

July 27 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MichaelC2B

I am so excited about this show. Everything Alex O'Loughlin does is fantastic. I loved Moonlight and still do - but it is over, and I am happy to follow Alex's career wherever it takes him. For those of you who have only seen Alex in ML, do yourself a favor and watch some of his movies on DVD and see for yourselves what a versatile and incredibly brilliant talent he is. I predict that Hawaii 5-0 is going to be a huge hit and be on the air for a long time.

March 06 2010 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anitalavenia

I couldn't agree more Allison, Hawaii 5-0 with Alex O'Loughlin on the lead, great writers and Wiseman as director is sure to be a hit!! Too bad that are still a few Moonlight fans that can't get over the show won't come back! I guess no matter what Alex does if is not Moonlight they won't be happy!

March 02 2010 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anitalavenia's comment
MichaelC2B

You are so right, anita!

March 06 2010 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Professor Zed

Consider it canceled.

February 11 2010 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Griff

Officially. Cursed...........hes like the new Ted McGinley.

February 11 2010 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LisaS

Not every Moonlight Fan is happy about this. What angers me the most was all that crap Nina Tassler said at the TCA Press Tour last month when asked about Moonlight knowing full well it was going to get the Moonlight Fans riled up. CBS once again played cruel joke on the fans. Remakes of classic tv shows like this rarely succeed. I hope for Alex's sake that it does well. Alex's casting in Hawaii-Five-0 may appease the "actor-centric" Alex Fans, but it won't appease the millions of Moonlight Fans who still want Moonlight back.

I'll give Hawaii-Five-0 a shot for Alex's sake but what would make me happy would be these two things:

1.) To see CBS cast Jason Dohring along side Alex as Danno

2.) what would really make others fans climb on board would be to have a Moonlight Movie get made during Alex's downtime from Hawaii-Five-0

February 11 2010 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LisaS's comment
dgish68176

I agree a Moonlight movie would be super. I bought the season DVD so I can at least watch it again when I need an Alex fix..

July 27 2011 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scooter

I don't actually watch NCIS Los Angeles. Who from Lost is on it?

February 11 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

Yeah but the show needs a real hook.The original had an ability to hook millions in for years.The characters/actors were a big part of that.It may not have to be a duplicate but it also can't be just a cop show set in Hawaii or it will fail.

If I was any actor in this show I'd be watching the old show looking for those key hooks.Jack Lord did have a very specific way about him and yes people who would watch will remember.It was in reruns when many today were kids.

This show should have a sort of homage to the original including the kick ass greatest tv theme music ever made.

February 11 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply