December 21, 2014

'Community' - 'Communication Studies' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 12th 2010 8:34AM
'Community' - 'Communication Studies'
(S01E16)
Suddenly I want to spend at least 40 more minutes in the world of 'Community' after tonight's episode. I wonder if those 40 minutes will come back to haunt our dear friend later?

Jeff and Abed tore it up with one of the most bizarre drunk montages I've ever seen, culminating with Abed in the absolute best "aftermath" position I've ever seen. And Jeff did it all to try and make things right with Britta again. Try as they might, those two just can't seem to get their awkward feelings for one another to stop interfering with their relationship as "just-friends."

With the Valentine's Day dance looming, Troy and Pierce tried to regain some of their own dignity early in the episode, only to lose it completely by the end of it. Surprisingly, despite his "skills" on the dance floor, Chang either has no dignity to lose, or has so much that it's impervious to anything he does.

How else can you explain his "amazing" solo dance skills, followed up by his equally creepy freaking with Troy and Pierce in their own quite lovely and sensible, but flashy, women's pantsuits? In Chang's defense, their attempts to look cool by sending themselves chocolates and a "Human Being" doll did fail completely and they deserved the ridicule they got in the classroom that led to their punishment for something they didn't even do.

The entire dance sequence was definitely one of the highlights of the episode. Ken Jeong is one of the most physical comedians out there, and his crazy brilliance was on full display tonight. It's moments like this that cement why he's such a great part of the cast.

That said, I want one of those human being dolls! How awesome would that be?

But we need to take it back to the after-party scene with Abed and Jeff for a moment. First of all, Abed was in a dresser drawer with a paper party hat on his foot, resting his head on a stuffed horse leaning against the top bunk. If that's not comic genius, then 'The Breakfast Club' is never mentioned on this show. It was hilarious that Abed thought he was broken when he couldn't remember Molly Ringworm's name from 'The Breakfast Club,' or even the name of the movie at first.

As for Jeff, I'm not sure why he thought drunk-dialing Britta was the only way to fix how weird she felt, but it did work. Granted, Abed explained that the whole situation was just a variation of a tried-and-true sitcom staple, so I guess no further explanation is necessary. After all, this is a sitcom. Self awareness sure does come in handy sometimes.

But it does leave me with that pesky problem I opened with. NBC.com needs to stream Jeff's 40 minute drunk dial at some point. As I said, I have a sneaking suspicion we're not done with that particular message, as Britta teased pretty heavily that it was full of juicy details. These writers have proven themselves pretty good at callbacks from prior episodes, so I'm hoping they remember that's out there. But at some point, it would make a great and fun extra thing to offer the fans.

[See if you can remember these actors' names with clips and full episodes of 'Community' at SlashControl.]

CC

In the pilot, it was Jeff would said Abed had Asperger's. It hasn't been "verified" that Abed does have Asperger's, though.

February 12 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Casey

In the very first episode it was said that Abed had Asperger's.....I don't remember if Jeff or Abed said it....but Pierce and Troy chuckled and said "He said Ass." He does exhibit have a lot of the classic symptoms.

February 12 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

But at some point, it would make a great and fun extra thing to offer the fans.

True, that'd be something neat. Ok show for all the running around. Bit scattered for me, as if writers have too many balls in the air for own good. Maybe nail down just a few characters? Or are writers hoping for enough openendedness for 5+ season? Not sure I can hang with this gang as it is right now for that long. Only a couple are of interest. Britta did look hot coming into the dance & at solo dance end. Guess looking all ragged set up worked.
Pinning for Jeff who's after Ms Stiff Pants is clever for a bit.
Haven't we all done that thing of always wanting the one who doesn't seem to fully want us. They seem to have mated up for now but at core they aren't made of same bookend material. Give us more Britta tease, even a boy toy in mode of Jeff for awhile.

February 12 2010 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Casey

I love Abed. My son has Asperger's syndrome and we get a kick out of watching Abed try to figure out how to fit in. The part where he was correcting his inflection while trying to use sarcasm was so classic. Abed has shown that people with Asperger's are a lot like everybody else...they are just trying to figure out the world like the rest of us.

February 12 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Casey's comment
st3v3n

I'm sorry, but where has it ever been said that Abed has Asperger's?

Or are you just saying he acts like someone with it?

February 12 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

In the very first episode, I think, Jeff "diagnosed" him with it (I think that's how it happened). I don't know if it's been specifically stated ever since then. Still, from the admittedly little I know about it, it's seems to fit in some respects.

February 12 2010 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Abed was left as a loose end. He was not at the dance, so his last line was "movie quote" while hung-over. I wanted to see him get his talent back.

February 12 2010 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply