September 15, 2014

'General Hospital' Hits 12,000 Episodes

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 12th 2010 8:01AM
general_hospital_logo_abcSince April 1, 1963, 'General Hospital' has been broadcast on ABC. If you're keeping count, and they are at the network, that means 'General Hospital' will air episode 12,000 on February 23. It's a remarkable achievement, especially when coupled with the fact that in that the past 47 years, 'GH' has won the Daytime Emmy as Outstanding Drama Series ten times. That's more than any other soap opera; and the Daytime Emmys only began being doled out in 1971!

To commemorate the 12,000th show, SoapCentral.com reports that 'General Hospital' has conjured up a new opening for the show. The current one, with music by Dave Koz, includes a collection of images of the stars. It also ends with one of the best endings ever for a credit sequence. All the men are gathered for a big group shot, sitting and posed in a variety of ways. They're all in black and white on a white set.

As the credits reach the finish, Anthony Geary -- the most iconic star of daytime in my opinion -- gets up and walks off the set. It's just a very Luke Spencer thing to do. Take a look at the credits from about two years ago, including that ending:

The new credits are being kept under wraps, but there's reason to believe that Executive Producer Jill Farren Phelps will do something similar. She's very smart in that way.

Phelps is also smart about casting. There's two significant items regarding the cast to report. First, former 'Guiding Light' star Bradley Cole will be doing a turn on 'GH' as Carlton Bauer, Kiefer's father. The fact that the character's last name is Bauer may, in fact, be a nod to 'GL.' Jill was once the Executive Producer there, too, and got the show nominated twice for Outstanding Drama Series in her tenure (1992, 1993). The Cole casting may be short-term, but he would be a good addition to the show.

The other big casting news from Entertainment Weekly is that Georgie Jones is coming back. Georgie is dead, but that doesn't matter on the soaps. No, seriously, actress Lindze Letherman will be playing Georgie, a figment of her sister Maxie's imagination. She's not really alive. Georgie was a very smart, wise beyond her years, younger sister to Maxie. She's going to return to provide some counsel to her big sister. Her first air date is March 26.

Barb

I have watched GH for over 26 years and I just love Dante, I didn't at first but he grows on you. I also like Ethan and hope he gets a more involved part on the show.

February 28 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ERIN

I HAVE WATCHED GH STARTING IN THE 1970'S THROUGH THE LAST EIGHTIES, WHEN IT WAS AT THE TOP OF THEIR GAME. THIS SHOW WAS REALLY GREAT AT THAT TIME, THEN IT ALL WENT DOWN HILL WHEN THEY STARTED LOOSING ALL THEIR MAJOR CHARACTERS AND PLOT LINES. IT WAS ESPECIALLY GOOD WHEN THEY INCORPORATED OLD HOLLYWOOD INTO THE STORY LINES, AS THEY DID WITH DAME ELIZABETH TAYLOR. SAD HOW IT WENT BAD SO FAST. DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT I'M SURE THERE IS A REASON. I WAS A LOYAL VIEWER, BUT WHEN THE SHOW STARTED TO MAKE MAJOR SCRIPT AND CHARACTER CHANGES IN THE EARLY 1990'S THAT WAS IT FOR ME. I HAD HAD ENOUGH. IT'S BEEN TERRIBLE EVER SINCE. I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS HOW MANY LITTLE STATUES THEY GIVE EACH OTHER, THE SHOW TURNED TO CRAP AND FAST. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO ANY OF THESE PEOPLE ARE EXCEPT FOR ANTHONY GEARY, DESPITE BEING GAY, AND NONE OF THEM HAVE THAT "STAR" QUALITY LOOK ABOUT THEM. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE SOAP MATERIAL AT ALL. BAD, EXTRAORDINARILY BAD CASTING. DID THEY LOSE GLORIA MONTY OR SOMETHING? MAYBE THAT'S IT?
SAD, SAD, SAD!

February 16 2010 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nikki

THE BEST SOAP THERE EVER WAS...
LONG LIVE LUKE AND LAURA 1982 AND ALWAYS.

LET'S NOT FORGET SONNY ANOTHER GOOD ACTOR
KEEP UP THEIR STORY LINES ONE CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH OF THEM..

February 16 2010 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I have been a longtime viewer of GH and I love Dante and Lulu as a couple and I hope they don't mess with their relationship on the show because I find them refreshing and I love their chemistry. I heard they might be putting their relationship in jeporady and that would really disappoint me.

February 16 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

Its always been god-awful, all of this beyond bad acting retarded shows. And a boobus america that watches this crap.

February 16 2010 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NULIFEONLINE.COM

yay...... my woman works as an extra on the show as the cute little police officer.........she always looks sooo adorable........

February 16 2010 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Would you please bring back Jeff Webber? The real one, Richard Dean Anderson. That would be awesome!!!

February 15 2010 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy McNeill

My son is named after Robert Scorpio. Tristan Rogers. He is my all time favorite character.

Judy

February 15 2010 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherie

I've been watching GH since 1963 and have loved every minute of it. Last weekend I met "Dante" and "Nikolas" in Las Vegas. I was thrilled. About six months ago I met "Patrick" and the former "Lucky"; again a dream come true. I met "Luke" in the early 80's, as we have a mutual friend in common. I love GH so much, it's always been so captivating and intelligent. Here's to another 12,000 shows!

February 15 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cherie's comment
Judy McNeill

When will Jason tell Monica and the rest of Q's about Jake. This will be a great story and what are we waiting for.
Dont add no more characters use what we have but I really do miss Claudia. A long time fan of GH since I was in 1st grade now it is 37years later and I am still watching.

February 15 2010 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MissCriss

Ok I would like to say this... Bringing Lucky Spencer back was one of the BEST moves GH has doe in a LONG time... thankfuly the last pitiful portrayer of the character is gone & hope Jonathan Jackson is here to stay!!!! Please do NOT under any circumstances ever bring Natalia back! If GH resurrects Emily please let it be the original portrayer of THAT character Amber Tamblyn!!!! Replacing phenomenal characters with less than capable actors is always a BAD move.. I applaud the new Michael... it took a while to get used to this Carly but I agree she is wonderful... and thanks for putting Sam & Jason back together. Oh - and let's kill off Liz already.. or make Rick kidnap her and take her to the space station!! : ) thanks

February 15 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply