September 30, 2014

'Parks and Recreation' - 'Galentine's Day' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 12th 2010 1:16AM
parks and recreation(S02E16) Ron Swanson nailed it tonight. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with Justin (Justin Theroux), and Swanson summed it up perfectly: he's a tourist. Justin is really only interested in stories. It's been bugging me the entire time he's been on the show, because he seems like a perfectly nice guy in some scenes and a total jerk in others -- but now it all comes together.

Also nailing it? Andy's band. I not only loved his songs (I would totally make them my Valentine's soundtrack), but I enjoyed his befuddlement with the entire situation and his frustration with not being able to tell if the gig was a success or not, due to the lack of ladies flashing him.

I was worried last week that April was going to give up on Andy and just fall back into the more familiar, comfortable life with her gay boyfriends, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was not the case. In fact, she breaks up with both of them, officially making herself a free agent. However, it doesn't look like she's ever going to get up the courage to make a move, much like it doesn't look like Andy's ever going to get a clue. However, it looks as though Anne may have more than a passing interest in the whole situation, which is pretty fun.

Mark was pretty great in this episode, as well. He did a great job finding every possible cliched drug store Valentine's Day gift there is. I especially enjoyed the callback to 'Titanic' with the Heart of the Ocean necklace. That's the extra classy touch that is going to keep Anne around.

Back to Justin for a minute, though: I'm not surprised that they broke up, since I didn't expect Justin Theroux to stick around forever, but I would like to see Leslie with someone for a little bit longer. He and David each lasted a handful of episodes, but we only got to see them on a mainly superficial level -- I'd like for Leslie to go deeper.

While some may see the whole "lost love" story with Leslie's mom as kind of a letdown, I loved it for one simple reason: Valentine's Day is a fake holiday which isn't even worth the time or effort to hate. Instead, it should simply be ignored, or treated like any other day of the week. It doesn't hold magical properties that make lost loves return to you, so you can get the fairytale ending that you were denied. Sometimes it just brings back an unemployed dude with four heart attacks under his belt. Happy Valentine's Day!

cret

"Ford said...
Okay, I really wish people would stop saying Valentine's day is fake. It's NOT fake. It's a holiday, established by the Pope, over 1500 years ago that was meant to celebrate Saints, martyrs, and yes, LOVE. I'm sorry if you're single, but Valentine's Day is as fake as Easter, Christmas, or Passover."

Exactly...

All FAKE, commercialized, initially relgious (Catholic, or at least Christian) holidays warped to stimulate the economy.

OK... Maybe not Passover.

February 13 2010 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldie

February 13 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I agree Ron's comments were brilliant and added a lot of depth to his character.

By insisting on going forward with reuniting Leslie's Mom with her old BF even when it became more than obvious it was not a good plan he ruined her favorite story -which she told in the opening scene - forever but gave him a good one. Yes, truly selfish.

February 12 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

Just for the record: I wanna marry April. Too bad she's a fictional character...

February 12 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Chapa

I loved the scene where Anne seemed to get jealous that something may be forming between April and Andy. April and Andy? That sounds weird, both names start with 'A.'

February 12 2010 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Tom is the man.

February 12 2010 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

i loved this episode and Ron's insight on Justin, I found myself saying 'wow' when he said that. Great writing all around. Also loved the pretty nice treatment of the seniors despite the old jokes - April with her comment to the couple about them being so cute, and the sweet woman at the end that told Andy how much she enjoyed the music and his enthusiasm over it. All around good stuff. And John L. never fails me.

February 12 2010 at 6:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
Kona Gallagher

I agree, re: the seniors, and I would even go further to say that the "old" comments weren't even all that bad. Even April's gay boyfriends said something to the effect of, "old people are hilarious. It'll be like 'Golden Girls.' I loved that.

February 12 2010 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Fun episode. I also really enjoyed Andy's band. I'm sure they'll put out the songs somewhere. I just loved how he had no clue who Louis Armstrong or Dean Martin were.

February 12 2010 at 4:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply