October 23, 2014

David Canary Is Leaving 'All My Children'

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 15th 2010 3:29PM
david_canary_all_my_children_abcOne of the biggest stars of daytime, David Canary, has chosen not to renew his contract with 'All My Children,' in large part because of the soap's relocation to Los Angeles according to Soap Opera Network. ABC hasn't confirmed the information, but the creator of 'All My Children,' Agnes Nixon, did. And prior to her confirmation, David Canary's daughter Tweeted about it to David's fans.

David Canary has been on 'All My Children' as Adam and Stuart Chandler since 1983, winning five Daytime Emmys (out of eleven nominations), and he's a fantastic actor. The roles of Adam and Stuart have been integral to the show, even after it was revealed that Adam was responsible for shooting – and killing – Stuart last year.

The 'All My Children' move to Hollywood has been relatively smooth, with most actors making the switch. Losing Canary, however, is a major blow. He is not the kind of actor who can be replaced with another star. That doesn't mean the soap won't try, but the scuttlebutt is that when David stops shooting in March, Adam will leave Pine Valley alive. As such, the door will be left open in case Canary changes his mind or chooses to return for a visit... maybe even an extended visit that would be a story arc?

If David has any thoughts of doing another soap in New York, his options are few. 'As the World Turns' is ending in September – barring a miracle – making the only choice 'One Life to Live.' On the other hand, it's possible that David is thinking about resting on his laurels.

devan313

I have loved David Canary since the first day he rode across the Ponderosa. When he stepped into Peyton Place I followed, and loyally , I hung out in Pine Valley for 38 years, never being more ecstaic the first day he appeared there. Over the years, I have had the dubious honor of meeting this wonderful man, peaceful spirit, gentle soul, brilliant actor....need I go on.. As I postpone watching today's episode of his last air date, with Julia, I feel sadness and loss...Knowing he will be back home here does help. LOVE you ,DC, thank you for making our lives so much more brighter, and blessed.

April 23 2010 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth

I have only watched GL for 46 years, and remember getting tired of David Canary snatching all the best actor emmys away from the GL stars. When GL ended I switched to AMC. The show was pretty boring, but finally I learned why David got all those emmys. He is one fantastic actor. He is the reason I remain with the show, just to watch him. Now that he is going I will see if the show picks up or remains boring. I will miss you David. Enjoy your retirement and come back to see us real soon.

March 29 2010 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Touscon

As a child of the 60's my husband always asks is "Candy " (Bonanza) still on AMC and Ill fill him in, last years cycle w/ the Adam/Stuart murder was a return to the base characters for long time viewers. Without Adam or Palmer Courtland to thwart her, Erica has moved into the "grande dame " position originally filled by Phoebe Tyler. And she hasnt matured enough in the eyes of the writers to do so based on the comic book cat fights btw Erica and Greenlee. They are not at all realistic, bring in someone w/ a business background to write the script and educate current viewers abt actual corporate policies and office politics. We understand Erica is still the insecure young girl of 35 years ago, but she should have evolved somewhat over the years.

I wont reveal my age but when Susan Lucci started playing Erica I was a 17 year old HS student, and have been watching since Phil and Tara pledged their troth in a chapel during a snowstorm. Kudos for bringing back the original Brooke , I have yet to find the actress playing Liza as interesting as her predecessor, and see no chemistry btw the current Liza and Tad.

The AMC commercial running this week on Soapnet is vintage Erica, it will take more of the verve displayed there to renergize AMC, which is currently 5th in my soap watching preference list. Why not bring back Tara, Lincoln or Anne for Erica to play off of, w/ Joe Martin retired, no one from the older generation remains to ground Erica's character.
PAT

March 21 2010 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RLNYNY

Another giant nail in AMC's coffin. Sadly for me I stopped watching when the writers began destroying all my favorite characters and firing great people like Julia Barr etc. I have a lot of the old shows on dvd's so can get an AMC fix by watching when the stories were great as well as the acting.Nothing can save AMC in my eyes.

February 22 2010 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gabrielle

As Denise said, David Canary is "irreplaceable," so I suggest AMC work out an AVATAR contract with the actor to accommodate his option of living in New York. (I'm sure James Cameron would agree to being a temporary consultant.)

February 20 2010 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sheree

What will AMC do without Adam, I have been watching since day 1. It will be a big loss. Maybe when he learns how much he is missed he wil fly out and be on every once in awhile. Hope he takes Annie. I can not stand her. I wish him luck in the future.

February 19 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs. Canary

I have never posted a comment before as our family is very private, but in this instance, my child's integrity has been compromised and I feel that clarification is in order. Our daughter is a professional and has NEVER tweeted ANY personal or professional information to David's fans or anyone else for that matter. Anyone alleging to be his daughter and tweeting such 411 is misrepresenting themselves. I hope Ms.Waldman will acknowledge and retract the erroneous statement as it has been hurtful and somewhat insulting to our daughter. Mrs C

February 17 2010 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbo

Yes, we all love David Canary. He will be missed, but I don't blame him and wish him the best of luck. I hope he will do short term appearances so that Pine Valley won't know the difference.
We need another bad guy on the show... Maybe it's time to bring back Dimitri Marrick.

February 17 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelly

Hi Thinking 1 , I believe you are right.. it was a big mistake,we'll see how many veiwers they will lose in about 6 months. They should have taken that move to Conn..How long will Vincent commute and Susan for that matter along with other cast members. They are not happy. But.. need a Job..

February 17 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thinking1

I blame this whole moving to CA disaster on the ABC executive in charge of Daytime: Brian Frons. He could have thought outside the box to keep AMC on the East Coast. If I'm wrong, I apolgize. But losing David Canary breaks my heart. What a gifted actor we are losing due to somebody's mistake! This could have all been avoided, in my opinion. David, you were fantastic!

February 16 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply