July 25, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Nanna is Kickin' Your Butt' Recap (Season Premiere)

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Feb 15th 2010 12:30AM
Phil Keoghan kicks off The Amazing Race 16
(S16E01) It's always hard to keep the teams straight during the first few episodes of any reality show. 'The Amazing Race' is no exception to the rule. True, as a 'Big Brother' fan, I'm all too familiar with Jordan and Jeff from last season. But that leaves ten teams to confuse me! At least the teams are diverse enough so that my main dilemma is figuring out who is whom on the same sex teams. I mean, really, which one is Jordan and which one is Dan? At least I can tell the male and female Jordans from different teams apart! And I also know Chile isn't China.

Yes, leave it to Jordan to confuse Chile with China. Wow. The only thing that's similar with the countries is the "Ch" and the five-letter word. And I thought the ex-Miss Teen USA racer Caite would be the most geographically challenged person on the show. Well, maybe she found herself some maps somewhere.

The start of this season's race was so much better than last season. If you recall, one of the teams got the boot before the race really got started at all. This year had a much more enjoyable hitch -- the teams had to take public transportation to LAX. That doesn't sound like it's too hard, but when you're not familiar with either the mass transit system or the area, it's a challenge.

I'm still feeling out the teams a bit and probably will be for the next few episodes. Brothers Jet and Cord, as long as they lose those cowboy hats, might be strong even though they made the first mistake in the season -- exchanging their money for Brazilian money when they're going to Chile. Jordan and Dan, the other brothers, seem like they're gearing up to bicker a lot. I was surprised that the one brother recognized Caite as the dense Miss Teen USA. I saw the clips of her and wouldn't recognize her if I asked her for directions. I'm not getting a real impression of any team as the outright alpha team for the season yet.

At an hour for the premiere, the show wasn't as satisfying for me as the 'Survivor' premiere the other night. The teams only went to Chile and completed one roadblock, no detour. The roadblock looked way cool to me, but gave some of them severe problems. Okay, so you had to walk a cable, 120 feet high, and the length of a football field ... in the wind. Looking at them, it was clear to me that the shorter and lighter people had an advantage. The higher guide cable was a bit too low for the taller men to cope with and their weight was an obstacle as well. The shaky legs award goes to Brandy. I thought she'd be out instead of Adrian.

From there, it was onto painting a small patch on houses. It was interesting to learn the government actually paints those homes ruined by sea salt regularly. You don't see them doing that on the Jersey Shore! Of course, we had the standard "let's get lost" issues with some of the teams. But there were mistakes all about us.
  • Jet and Cord's Brazilian money not accepted in Chile.
  • Caite and Brent didn't use the right transport.
  • Dan and Jordan lost a paintbrush.
  • Steve and Allie painted the interior of the wrong house.
Oh, I guess it's not so horrible of a start. But it made for the most confusing pit stop order ever on the show. Two penalties were handed out. Caite and Brent made it second to the pit stop, but then had to wait out a 30-minute penalty. Dan and Jordan got fifteen minutes for the paintbrush.

So here's the finish order:
  1. Jeff and Jordan (winning a trip to Vancouver)
  2. Caite and Brent Monique and Shawne
  3. Jet and Cord
  4. Dan and Jordan Steve and Allie
  5. Joe and Heidi
  6. Carol and Brandy
  7. Caite and Brent
  8. Dan and Jordan
  9. Louie and Michael
  10. Jody and Shannon

Adrian never made it through the roadblock even after a second attempt. He tried his best and they seemed like nice folks, but they were Philiminated nonetheless. I really think it was his size which did him in. It's always rough to see a team go in the first leg -- we haven't had the time to dislike any teams yet! Although, I'm not all that keen on Caite saying, "Technically we were second place." Um. No. Technically you screwed up and didn't follow direction. You're in 7th place. Do you need a map?

Have you picked a favorite team yet?
Jet and Cord27 (5.3%)
Carol and Brandy10 (2.0%)
Jeff and Jordan296 (58.2%)
Steve and Allie10 (2.0%)
Shannon and Jody15 (2.9%)
Louie and Michael7 (1.4%)
Dan and Jordan15 (2.9%)
Caite and Brent12 (2.4%)
Monique and Shawne9 (1.8%)
Joe and Heidi5 (1.0%)
No favorite yet103 (20.2%)

[Watch episodes and clips of The Amazing Race over at SlashControl.]

nvphotoguy

2-16-2010 @ 9:29AM
MCW said...

Only problem is, to my memory, Jeff is a smoker, and Jordan is not. So, he doesn't deserve anything that's given to him, because he's not a human being.

Good grief, have you nothing better to do, he's not "human" because he smokes, you're ridiculous!

February 20 2010 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Johnnymac, I think it would have helped, too. I was left just assuming they eventually found the right house.

Mike, thanks for answering my question!

February 17 2010 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

How come there was a penalty for not following downhill directions, and for losing a paintbrush, but the father/daughter team painted the inside of a house and there was no penalty for that? That was hilarious that they did that. Keep them away from MY walls!

February 15 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Diane's comment
johnnymac

i was wondering the same thing, maybe they figured it out and went back and found the right place to paint. but it would have been nice if they showed us that.

February 16 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

When a clue specifically states that something be done, eg take a taxi, walk by foot, take X supplies to Y location, they have to do exactly that. The clue in the first instance said to take the funicular. The clue in the second instance said to take their paint, brushes, and ladder. The clue also said to paint their specific portion. The one group DID NOT take the funicular. The one group DID NOT transport all their supplies to the specified location. The father and daughter DID paint their specific portion. It's about following instructions... if they all wanted to take a trip to Rio in the meantime, they could, it just wouldn't help them much... the father/daughter completed the task, the extra painting was its own punishment... but they didn't paint that random house and then proceed on the race. The others violated the clue and proceeded on... That's why.

February 17 2010 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

Has anyone else noticed that on a majority of the TAR shows the African-American couple usually gets eliminated first? Just doesn't seem right. I love that the brothers got penalized 15 minutes for losing the paint brush. I hope they are tougher on the rules this time than they have been in the past.

Go Team Big Brother!!!

February 15 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

aww man Jeff & Jordan , Monique & Shawne , and Dana & Adrian were the first 3 for the early flight and than the damn plane had issues Grrrr

February 15 2010 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I love Jeff and Jordan and am pulling for them to last a long while.

I have a feeling Grandma and grand daughter won't be around long. Being 71 will work against Jody no matter how many marathons she's been in. TAR involves much more than running.

I was a bit surprised that the detectives didn't do better their first time.

I'm just happy the new season is here. Love this show.

February 15 2010 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

A whole lotta dumb this season... I know they think it makes for better TV, but I disagree. When I heard Jordan from BB was going to be on I thought it was a mistake, knowing how brain-dead she was on BB. But, after watching last night's episode, I don't think she's even in the running for the medal stand for dumb in this group. I do hope TAR gets it together this season, and we'll find at least some of the contestants interesting aside from their "characters" (cowboys, overachieving grandma, gay twin, the Niles/Frasier lesbian duo, and of course - models.) The best part of the night, was the twin not only knowing who the teen beauty queen was, but also being able to do an impression of her! You go g..... dude!

February 15 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Running in someone's home and just start slapping paint on the walls is a classic move. It's called "The Dutch Boy"

February 15 2010 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Jackie you forgot the part where Jeff (supposedly the smart one of the Jeff and Jordan team) thought that they were going to Guatemala - somehow he thought Chile was in Guatemala? - and was corrected by Jordan. This of course was before she asked the ticket agent for tickets to China. As my favourite reality show blogger would put it @@

February 15 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

At least this time the "hick" team as represented by the two cowboys are at least capable - despite the money mishap. The last man and woman that filled that role in the show seemed to only be on there to serve as comedic relief or early elimination fodder. This season seems to have more balance.

February 15 2010 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply