September 3, 2014

'24' - '11:00PM - 12:00AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 16th 2010 1:30AM
24, day 8, sackhoff, prinze
(S08E08) "Hey! Why you gotta focus on the negative?" - Kevin to Dana/Jenny

He was stabbed, beaten, electro-shocked and strung up like a side of beef, but that didn't stop Jack from busting out of the basement of doom with relative ease. Luckily for Jack, it seemed like Bazhaev's goons forgot to bind his legs. (Why do bad guys always forget to bind the legs?) Our hero only had to employ some fancy footwork to crack his torturer's neck and escape.

Then, like some tiny feral jungle creature, Jack pounced on another goon, bit him on the neck and drained him of his blood!

OK, maybe that last part happened a little differently, but seeing skinny little Jack jump that chubby baddie was like watching a vampire bat attacking a cow. It was the funniest moment of the season so far.

But there was nothing funny about Jack's torture scenes, especially when the goon jammed those live jumper cables into his still-bleeding knife wound. Torture scenes are nothing new for '24', but they still manage to make me wince and squirm.

I was happy to see Jack finally go all John McClane on the Russians, taking them down one-by-one like a pro and finally apprehending Bazhaev. But the action scenes seemed to lack tension. It never felt like Jack was in any serious danger after the torture scenes. Sadly, Jack's real-life first-person shooter game was the most thrilling part of tonight's episode.

Dana/Jenny's predictable B plot is getting dumber by the minute. As expected, Kevin and Nick weren't about to split town after she helped them break into the evidence warehouse. Instead, they hit up the nearest strip club to celebrate the score and made their plans clear to her: "Look, bitch ... you gon' be our goldun goose! OK!?"

It's odd how Nick has become the alpha thug here. When we first met they guy, he seemed like a forgettable flunky, but he's turned into a dangerous loose cannon. It's odd, but it still doesn't make me care a lot about this storyline.

Dana was so close to making her first smart decision of the day -- confessing everything to Ortiz. But, for no good reason, Ortiz cut her off before she could ask for his help. I know there are terrorists to deal with and nuclear materials to locate, but come on. If my stressed-out fiancé told me she had a "big problem" and looked like she was about to drop a bombshell on me, I'd at least give her ten minutes to fill me in. But that didn't happen, and now Dana is armed and dangerous, like a desperate woman in one of those desperate Lifetime movies. Whatever. I'd rather spend more time with Renee.

I was hoping for a big fallout after Renee's recent dive off the deep end that left Vlad totally gutted and Jack with a hole in his belly. Instead, we got a short emotional scene between Renee and Chloe, and they didn't even talk about the events leading up to Vlad's impaling.

Hastings seems ready to throw Renee in the loony bin after she writes her statement. I wonder how she plans to get back in the game now that she's probably on CTU's blacklist. It probably won't be hard for her to give Hastings the slip. The guy has to be the dumbest CTU boss, like, ever.

I know a lot of viewers aren't liking Hasan's descent from peaceful leader to paranoid android, but I'm buying it. His brother, whom he trusted with his life, betrayed him. And some of his most trusted advisors were in on his assassination plot. It makes sense that he would trust no one.

I actually find it fascinating to watch Hasan sink deeper into his paranoid delusions. Maybe its just Anil Kapoor's fine performance that makes the change seem so believable. (Or maybe I'm just hypnotized by his incredibly poofy hair.)

And what about Josef? Stealing the nuclear rods and selling them to Farhad seems like a strange way to get revenge on daddy. I wonder if the President's amnesty deal for Bazhaev and son still holds considering this development.

This certainly wasn't the best hour of the season, but it had its moments. Here's hoping Renee gets back in the game next week, and that something remotely surprising or interesting happens with Dana's story soon.

Oh, and can somebody kill Arlo already, please? And tell Prinze to ditch the accent.

[Watch free episodes of '24' on SlashControl]

Gary

Thank goodness -- Renee is on ice, and -- hopefully -- for the rest of the season!!!

February 18 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KB

So if you don't like '24' why do you keep watching it pal?!

February 17 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

please FIRE BRANNON BRAGA

February 16 2010 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chancock6

I agree, Mike. I want more Renee and less Dana. You said you hope she's "back in the game" next week. Well, if you saw the previews, it looks like she is back in the game, but the game has been rigged, and not in her favor.

February 16 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Anyone expecting Freddy Prince to get killed off last night when he went to grab the rods? They made that one random CTU guy look so shady and ready to turn bad on everyone else.

I'd rather them kill his finance (and dumb and dumber). Once again it was just too off course from the main story. The Slumdog President's daughter is a bit too much off course too, but like the Sark and brother story will probably become connected to the main story eventually.

And then there is Jack who is no longer the bullet proof superman he was in 4-6. I like him better vulnerable and John McClane-ey. However they didn't have to go and just plain rip off Die Hard/Lethal Weapon. Jack Bauer is their equal in the action world, not a cheap rip-off.

February 16 2010 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ac's comment
Yvette

I expected the random CTU guy to get shot. When he stepped onto the elevator and Ortiz made an adjustment on his uniform, the expendable "Red Shirts" on Star Trek came to mind.

February 16 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Was I the only one laughing at Nazneen Contractor's (President Hassan's daughter) acting last night?

February 16 2010 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antonio69

No, thanks, antonio69 is not Brannon Braga. i´m a spanish man, from Barcelona, Spain, (Europe) and I read in English but do not write well: it is clear that I have used a bad translator of English. Chris Thomas said what I wanted to say. what is the sense of this post? to repeat that 24 hours is a bad show? Is best to do nothing.

Sorry if my english is bad

February 16 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

It's a good thing there was lots of Jack kicking ass, because the other subplots aren't cutting it. With no new stories in sight, we'll be in the long haul with Dana and Hassan. As long as there's Jack and Renee...

Review of the episode on my blog:

February 16 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryKay

There was a disconnect with Jack's feet = they were not tied when he was swinging them over the pipe. Then when he gets the knife, he cuts them apart.

February 16 2010 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MaryKay's comment
Edward

yeah I noticed that gaffe too

February 16 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

No gaffe. Watch the scene again, Jack's legs were bound the entire time. He holds onto the pipe with his ankles below the ropes, then hooks his legs over the pipe sideways.

Great episode. Lots of action. They did have Cole and Dana passing the idiot ball back and forth during that one scene though.

And I'll agree with what others have said. I'd urge all the bloggers here, if it gets to a point where you almost aren't enjoying a show at all anymore and don't have much to contribute but carping, do everybody a favor and hand the blogging duties off to someone else. It wasn't as bad here as it has been in some other cases, but it's still something to keep in mind. There are some shows where it's gotten to the point where I just give the recaps a brief scan and then just jump to the comments.

February 17 2010 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I thought this was one of the better episodes of the season... Jack was back in action, and the tension is even better with Hasan.

I agree that the torture scenes were a bit much. I'm tired of seeing Jack getting beat to shit. In the last 2 hours he's been stabbed, beaten, tortured and freaking shot in the arm. And all he wants is to be back in LA with his granddaughter.

I liked the mix of John McClane (shirt open, no shoes) and Martin Riggs (strung up and zapped and still kicks ass).

Good ep. Hopefully this is the start of an upward trend.

February 16 2010 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply