September 21, 2014

Betty White Says 'SNL' Push "Out of Left Field"

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 16th 2010 10:32AM
betty whiteOne of my favorite things happening in television right now is the push to get Betty White to host 'Saturday Night Live.' I've loved Betty White my entire life, from watching her on reruns of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show,' to listening to her tales about St. Olaf on 'The Golden Girls.' What's especially great about this movement is that it's not driven by kitschy nostalgia. Sure, that's part of it, but a big portion of this drive is based on the simple fact that Betty White is hands-down one of the funniest women currently working in Hollywood.

Now, White is talking to People magazine about all of the hullabaloo, and she seems surprised that fans are taking such an interest. White says, "That just came out of left field. It's ridiculous. I don't think Lorne Michaels even knows about it, so we won't worry about it." While she may not be worried about it, that doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

White goes on to tell People that should she get the call from Michaels, she'll take the job, so the ball is really in the 'SNL' creator's court. At 88 years old, Betty White has been doing television since television began. She's certainly not going to go begging for jobs at this point in her life. Besides, it's not as though she isn't already busy. White is currently filming 'You Again,' alongside Sigourney Weaver and 'Veronica Mars'' Kristen Bell.

Lorne Michaels doesn't strike me as the type of guy who takes hosting ideas from Facebook groups, so I can't imagine that he would hear about this and go, "well the people have spoken!" However, what I could see is another producer, or some writers thinking this is a good idea and lobbying for it to happen. As great as he is, Jon Hamm can't host every episode; 'SNL' needs to stay fresh and switch things up, and the fans have just the octogenarian to do it.

[via Pop Candy]

CDE Blake

AWWWWWW COME ON ! ! ! Who you kiddin? Don't think for a scond that Betty White wouldn't pomp some life into SNL! Betty speaks for the over 40 crowd, whether she likes it or not. And besides, what's funnier than an old broad pulling the rug ou from under people who weren't yet born the last time she went to the grocery store??? YOU GO BETTY!!!!!

February 27 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adhonus

Has anyone actually watched SNL lately? I think it's pretty good at the moment. Very talented cast, great weekend update host. Is it perfect? It's never been perfect. What makes SNL so great and an American institution is that it's live and all done in one week. Is every sketch funny? Not to everyone, no. But, week after week it's entertaining. Give it a chance.

I'm still cracking up over "What is Burn Notice?"

February 17 2010 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

She would hold her own quite well, we are all sure. It would be the best!

February 16 2010 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Betty White would have to write/do her own material and blow away the writers..they are probably too stiff for her talent...

February 16 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Betty White is awesome. I joined the Facebook fan club and I'd be happy to sign whatever else comes along to help make this happen. If anyone can breathe some life into Saturday Night Dead, it would be the adorable and spirited Betty!

February 16 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abigail

Betty White is a phenomenal, genuinely funny, talented comedian. I think she would be fantastic on SNL, and Lorne Michaels would be foolish not to invite her to host the show.

February 16 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross

I'm one of those dinosaurs that remembers Betty when she starred on "Life With Elizabeth" in the early l950s. her charm, wit, and talent is timeless. I really want to see her host SNL and if that doesnt happen, there's no reason why she can't be a judge on American Idol.

February 16 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtrov

I don't find SNL funny anymore and have watched it from the beginning as a kid. In recent years, the writing has been terrible and the humor has changed to being real personal and overly political rather than funny like the days of Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter to Clinton. I would make an exception and watch it again if Betty White were to host it. For being an old gal, she still has a genuine sense of humor and is funny.

February 16 2010 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARLENE

i cant imagine a funnier host than Betty White,,, I would definitely watch her no matter who the musical quest is!!

what a coup for lorne michaels if he can get her to do this...

February 16 2010 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SkyBlue

If anyone can make SNL funny again, it has to be Betty White.

February 16 2010 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply