'American Idol' - 'Hollywood Round #4' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 18th 2010 12:45AM
didi benamiLast night, we had roughly 30 minutes of content spread out over two hours, so for this hour-long episode of 'American Idol,' 15 minutes of actual stuff sounds about right. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the pace with which we sped through the remaining contestants. There wasn't a lot of hullabaloo, just people sitting in chairs and discovering their fates.

There were a few surprises, but for the most part, the people you thought were going to make it did. What really worked for me in this episode is that the focus was on the people who got in, with a relatively short amount of time devoted to watching the rejected contestants cry. 'Idol' has a tendency to linger on peoples' pain a little bit too much, so it was nice to see that they refrained here, for the most part.

We start out with a recap of Janelle Wheeler's journey so far. She performed excellently on Day 1 of Hollywood week, but had a rough group day and flubbed her lyrics a little bit on day three. However, she's cute and she has a great voice, so she's probably in. Wheeler is the first one in the chair of doom, and judging by Ellen's chattiness, I'm now thinking she's definitely in. Then, in a not-so unpredictable outcome, Janelle is in the Top 24. She then tells Seacrest, "If I were bikini girl, I'd kiss you right now!"

Tyler Grady is kind of awkward, but he had a really strong Day 3 performance, so he could go either way. Kara is kind of fawning over him while he's in the chair, so it looks pretty good for him, as well. He's in. He also does the fake-out when he comes out of the room, which is just annoying after auditions.

Lacey Brown made it into the final round of Hollywood week last year, and now she's up again. Simon is the one delivering the news this time, and he gets right to the point: she's in.

I figured we'd have a lot of filler in this episode, but instead we get the opposite: Ashley Rodriguez, Alex Lambert, and Joe Munoz are all in the Top 24, and we don't even see the drama in the chair.

Crystal Bowersox is hands-down one of the best performers in the competition right now, plus she doesn't really fit the typical mold of an 'Idol' contestant. If she doesn't get through, I will have very little faith left in this season, since from what we've seen, she's performed solidly every single time she's been up at bat. Luckily, she's in, so we can move forward. But first -- how cute is her son? He's such a tired baby!

Katie Stevens is up next. She's definitely one of the early favorites, and has given some memorable performances during Hollywood week. Ellen talks about how she hates giving bad news, and then Katie is in the Top 24.

After Katie's turn in the chair, we get a short montage of people who didn't make it to the next round. They don't even get CGs of their names on the screen. They're just gone as if they never happened.

Angela Martin is here for the third time, and she's had her ups and downs during Hollywood Week, so she could really go either way. However, since we're spending so much time rehashing her story, her chances look good. Angela is crying as soon as she walks into the room, and Kara comes over, pushes her out of her seat and leaves Angela to sit on the arm. She gets right up on her and then tells her that she didn't make it. This is definitely the first surprise we've had tonight.

Lilly Scott had an amazing first day performance, but Day 4 with the band was shaky, although her vocals were still strong. She just seems as though she's used to having her guitar and doesn't really know how to perform with a band yet. She's certainly one of the best and should make it to the Top 24. Luckily, she does.

We're just speeding through this, and we find out that Paige Miles, Siobhan Magnus, Michelle Delamor, Jermaine Sellers, and John Park are all in the Top 24.

Haeley Vaughn and Tori Kelly are both up for the last spot. I would imagine Haeley's going to get it, but I've certainly been wrong before. Tori, for instance, had a pretty strong final performance. However, in the end, Haeley is in, and Tori is out.

Thaddeus Johnson and Andrew Garcia are up against each other for the last slot on the guys' side, and it's kind of tough. Thaddeus was a pleasant surprise, but Andrew is innovative, and I'm excited to see what he's going to do next. The judges agree with me, and while it was close, Andrew's the one who makes it through to the Top 24. Thaddeus is devastated, and while I wouldn't have chosen him over Andrew, I would have chosen him over some of the other guys in the Top 24.

Last year, it was obvious that the guys were a much stronger group than the girls, but just based on this Top 24, it seems to be the opposite this year. There are several girls who stand out for me, while most of the guys just kind of blend into the background. What do you think?

Who is the stronger group so far?
Girls167 (81.5%)
Guys38 (18.5%)

C. Hernandez

I'm really disappointed about Thaddeus. I loved Andrew's rendition of Straight Up, but everything else he did? Not a fan. I loved every single thing I heard from Thaddeus.

Personally, I think Andrew made it on the basis of his life story being more compelling than the guy who's mom screams with joy a lot.

February 18 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

I'm uncharacteristically upset about Angela Martin - this seems like there is something we don't know because she seemed like a lock and a possible favorite going in to the final 24 - so either they edited her well just to bring her down or something else is going on - it's just strange

February 18 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dkny's comment
TJ

Angela Martin and Hollywood week are like a curse for this poor girl. What Idol didn't mention and I was really surprised about why because they love to dwell on the bad... was what is going on with her at home right now. Just before she left for Hollywood week her mother disappeared and as far as I know still hasn't been found. Perhaps talking to the Fox news in her area for it may have hindered her chances since it was just before she left for Hollywood. It doesn't help that this was the last year she was eligible due to her age. I personally think what Kara did was more patronizing then helpful.

February 18 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I'm actually really excited for this crop of contestants, and predict it will be a female winner, they competition on the female side is pretty fierce.

I'm with the majority on the snub of Angela Martin. It's just the fact that A.I. has made us so invested in her backstory, it makes us want to see her succeed. Is she better than some of the Top 12 girls, we don't know, but I personally would have liked to see her try.

The guys I'm less excited for this year, besides Andrew Garcia and Casey James, none of them seem interesting to me, but I'll wait to see thier first true performance in the next couple of weeks.

February 18 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

So Tuesday, they picked seven people in two hours, and last night, they picked 17 in one? Why?

I must be getting old. There is very little in this final group to be excited about.

February 18 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

Just because you may have those that we've not seen much before, doesn't mean that they are not worthy of getting in. I can recall just last year wondering who the heck Kris Allen was before he showed up in the top 24, but boy was I glad he did. He was my frontrunner favorite from his first live performance.

February 18 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chadah77

Anybody look closely at the guy's group shot at the end? There was a different guy up there. I don't remember his name, bit he had the really curly light red hair. Then, when they showed the rundown and named all the names of the guys, he was'nt there and I believe the guy replacing him was the young guy Tim? Urban?? Not sure of the names. I think Andrew has already locked in the top spot. He is the most memorable, and the one everyone seems to be talking about, besides Big Mike!

February 18 2010 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

From what I've read elsewhere the whole deal with Big Mike was blown out of proportion and he's still in.

February 18 2010 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SISSERS

I would love to have known what their reasoning was to not include Angela Martin? The girl has pipes, and a terrific backstory. There were also a couple of them that when their names were chosen I went 'who??'. And isnt Big Mike the one who's Dad blabbed to the local press he got in before it was announced?? Wonder who will take his place?

February 18 2010 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SISSERS's comment
Slayer4915

I couldn't believe Angela didn't get picked! I was really invested in her at this point, it was sad to see her go. I definitely had the "who is that" moment a couple times. And it's weird that they didn't show Tim Urban go through, yet he's in the Top 24. If they do replace Big Mike, I would guess they'd bring Thaddeus back.

Recap/Review: http://www.youtube.com/user/IdolChat2010