December 19, 2014

Don't Believe Everything You See on TV

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 18th 2010 4:02PM
TV fans are used to having special effects in TV shows, but the scenes where special effects or a green screen/Chromakey are used are usually easy to spot, or at least we look at them and say "I bet that was camera trickery or green screen." This video shows that Chromakey is used in almost all TV shows, even ones you wouldn't expect.

This is rather eye-opening. The next time I see the camera go from David Letterman to Paul Shaffer on 'The Late Show' I'm going to yell at my TV, "green screen!"

[via Boing Boing]

jrd

Very interesting.

February 23 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scholastica8

As a costumer aka "wardrobe person," I have a tip. If you see no green on any actor in the scene or on any props that they actually handle, then the odds are it was green screen, which would render any variation of green invisible. You'd see thru the person. If you see no blue, then they used chromakey blue. Blue used to be more the rule, but when they realized that fewer people looked good in green & fewer other colors included a heavy dose of green (blue is a primary color), the industry shifted to green screen.

February 20 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Moore

Love the technology, but scary. TV and movies can sell us anything they have on their agenda, commercial or political, just by faking any scenario. As we all know, the media does not just report the news, they create it.

February 20 2010 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

These magic makers of vision show how it is done.
For me at times there is no fantasy or amazement.

February 20 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

These magic makers of vision show you how it's done. For me at times there is no more mystery or fasination.

February 20 2010 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j

I love watching tv and looking for multiple shadows when someone is walking down the street ! It's so easy to spot that anyone can see just by paying attention. You can almost envision the crews running down the street with the subjects.

February 20 2010 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OhioBob

The next time I see the camera go from David Letterman to Paul Shaffer on 'The Late Show' I'm going to yell at my TV, "green screen!" >>>> Yea Paul Scaffer would be a figment of anyones imagination! LOL

February 20 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE ZVIRBLIS

THE WORST IS THAT DAVID BLAINE USES IT.

February 20 2010 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TonyS

WoW!

February 20 2010 at 6:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gonnabechef

What ever happened to the demo reel from Atmosphere Visual Effects? That was similar, but in some ways a little more impressive. (The music was certainly better.) I can't find it anywhere. It highlighted virtual set work on Galactica, and exteriors on Stargate and Dead Like Me.

February 19 2010 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply