July 24, 2014

Will Charlie Sheen's Legal Troubles Muck Up CBS's Fall Sked?

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 18th 2010 10:01AM
charlie_sheen_two_and_a_half_men_2009When the TV executives meet the media at the annual CBS upfront presentation in May, there will be certainty and uncertainty when it comes to the Monday night sitcom anchor 'Two and a Half Men.' The certainty is that it will be in the line up because it was renewed for three years in 2009. The uncertainty is if Charlie Sheen will be on 'Two and a Half Men' in the face of his felony charges in Colorado.

There are implications beyond the obvious question of Charlie being there to do 'Two and a Half Men.' He's one of the highest paid actors on television -- approximately $20 million a season -- which accounts for a big chunk of the operating budget. Whether he's on air or written out for a while, he has to be paid.

The revenues to pay the man come from ad dollars. Will CBS be able to sell ad time if the Nielsen numbers slip with less Charlie and more Alan, i.e. Jon Cryer, carrying the show?

What will happen is unknown, but this is what will likely happen: it'll all work out without a hitch. 'Two and a Half Men' creator Chuck Lorre runs that show like a well-oiled machine. The characters, all of them, are set. There are ways to write around Charlie Sheen's absence, if that even comes to pass. They could space it out over a few shows or have him appear via pre-arranged drop-in scenes that might be filmed before he has to appear/serve time elsewhere. Hell, they could use this real life situation as an inside joke and have Charlie check in to rehab for 28 days!

As for a decline in popularity, that's already showing. 'The Big Bang Theory' is the CBS Monday night show on the rise and will eventually move into the 'Two and a Half Men' slot. That might be the surprise of the CBS upfront. Putting those two shows together at 9:00 and 9:30 last season turned out to be a smart move, blasting 'Bang' into rich Nielsen territory.

YoJo

Charlie is a great actor so let him act. His personal life is personal. If anything will ruin the show it's forceing the gay concept onto multimillion hetrosexual men who won't watch the show and is probably the primary holders of the TV remote. Just watch the ratings fall.
Won't be Charlies fault!

March 25 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOHNEZDARLIN

I REALLLY HOPE 2 1/2 MEN WILL CONTINUE WITH CHARLIE. THEY HAVE A CONNECTION THAT WORKS GREAT

February 24 2010 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dashpack

Two and a Half Men is a show that, after all these years on the air, still makes me laugh out loud. Crude, sometimes yes, but admittedly funny. Can the show survive a Charlie Sheen absence? I'm sure the great writing, directing, creative team can come up with an interesting way to handle an absence just fine. I think that Conchata Ferrell (Berta) and Jon Cryor (Alan) are great....while I know all their lines are written for them, their comedic delivery is super. Both my husband and I believe that Jon Cryor is the funniest - his expressions just add to the hilarity of his character.

February 24 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billie

MY FAVORITE SHOW BUT, LOST A LOT WHEN THEY MOVED THE GIRLFRIEND INTO THE MIX. BERTA, JAKE, ALLEN AND THEIR MOTHER ARE THE SHOW. WHY WRITERS MESS WITH SUCCESS I DO NOT KNOW. CHARLIE IS THE ANCHOR, BUT COULD GO AWHILE WITH OUT HIM.

February 24 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

The show has been going downhill ever since Charlie got pussywhipped... it's so lame now !

February 19 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy maestas

I'm in recovery from alcohol myself, and as much as I love the characters and the writing, the show itself is alcoholic. God, is there never a time when Charlie doesn't have a drink in his hand?

February 19 2010 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucy

I have to admit that this is a show I hate to love. "Hate" because I cannot stomach the sight of Charlie Sheen. I find him physically unattractive and personally repellent. However, he is a comic genius. His sense of timing is superb and he makes me laugh out loud. I love the writing and the supporting cast members, all except the actress who plays Chelsea. She is bland, blah and generic, sorta like plain yogurt. I hope her end is coming soon, because she adds nothing. I doubt that Sheen will be written out. He is just too important to the show.

February 19 2010 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MD

Keep Charlie on the show...we love it and watch this show all the time...If they cut Charlie...they cut us as viewers! This is a great show as is!

February 19 2010 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryce

Put his brother Emilio Estevez in his place as a cousin to stay while Charlie is away. Emilio is a better actor.

February 19 2010 at 5:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenn muniz

Well if they let him go they will ruin the cemistry of the show , they have the perfect cast my family , friends and my self love this show we never miss a show .

February 19 2010 at 5:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply