December 21, 2014

'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains' - 'It's Getting the Best of Me' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Feb 19th 2010 12:02AM
Jerri tends to a passed out Boston Rob on Survivor
(S20E02) Well, well, well. It seems that Black Widow Jerri Manthey actually does have a tender side on tonight's 'Survivor.' No, she isn't coming on to Boston Rob. Nor has she murdered him, if that might be your concern. As seen on the promos all week, Rob had a bit of a rough time, thus giving the episode its title for the week. And, might I add, so dramatically said that one might think he'll be up for an acting Emmy. Was it an act? Is he still there or gone? Read on.

Okay, if you haven't seen the show and you need to know right this minute -- Boston Rob was okay and remained on the show, even though the medics had to be called. He did too much and passed out. He said the medics told him he had the flu and a case of "crybabyism." Perhaps the latter is his own opinion. It was a bit scary when he went down. I'm actually liking Rob this time around more than either of his previous seasons.

Super egos are doing both tribes in so far. On the Villains, Rob was running around trying to run and do everything while the others had no oomph at all. But, if you noticed, when Rob got a giant clam, Russell couldn't stand to be outdone by him. Russell had to go like a crazy man after some of the loose chickens and spear one for dinner. Coach is still in his own world making eyes at Jerri. Courtney considers them all fools except for Rob. They can't work together to get a decent shelter up for their lives.

It's even worse over on the Heroes. Sure, their camp is spiffy-keen with a secure shelter. At camp, they're working together for the common good. Belying the very idea behind the concept of heroism, they're all plotting against each other. JT fell off the honesty bandwagon and I don't actually blame him for that. However, they've got more mini-alliances and schemes going than the sneaky villainous types! But the really worst thing of all is ... they're not working together on the challenges while the Villains have managed to come together twice in a row now.

Yep, in tonight's combined immunity/reward challenge (I really hate them -- I want my challenges separate), the Heroes blew it once again. The challenge was a retread from Tocantins, so three castaways have done it before. They had to "roll" huge heavy cubes, then build stairs with the tribe name. Both tribes appointed a shouter to give direction on the stair puzzle. Rob shouted for the Villains, JT for the Heroes. One team listened, one team didn't. Heroes now down two immunity challenges in a row.

The problem with Heroes
I so wanted this tribe to do well. As individual players, I enjoy most of them. Three of them went a bit wacky tonight for me. First, Stephenie -- James was right that she should have just let JT direct them and be quiet. Then, James -- oh.my.gosh, could he have gone on any more about Stephenie being on a losing team in her season? I'm sure some of it was editing, but he was constantly harping on her. The last wacky one, Tom. Now, Tom isn't a good schemer. He's gone and laid his cards on the table and I fear he has done himself in with the power players.

The best of the Villains
Boston Rob has gone above and beyond. I'm glad he realized that it isn't up to him to do everything and be the only one to worry about food and shelter. Then there's Parvati. I don't really like her so much, but she is one of the best strategic players ever on the show. She took a hit to her face tonight with the cube rolling that made Stephenie's shoulder and Rupert's toe look like child's play. Did she whine? Nope, she just carried on with her busted lip. Tough and a strategic player all in one.

Tribal Council
Oh, I like a good brouhaha. But even I was a bit uncomfortable witnessing James lash into Stephenie about her losing tribe (again) and the bickering and snipe which followed. What did you think of their behavior? The vote was pretty much what I expected. Cirie might not be the same level a strategist as Parvati, but she thinks of herself. Even though Amanda "cost her a million," Amanda is a quasi-ally now. When Cirie told Candice, "It doesn't matter who they vote out, as long as it isn't me." -- that's a sound strategy. It got her a long way before. Goodbye Stephenie, only Tom, Colby, and Stephenie voted for Amanda to go. The line has been drawn. Heroes are falling.

Did James go too far with his Stephenie rants?
No, she deserved it.72 (8.7%)
Yes, without a doubt!321 (39.0%)
He had a point, but overdid it.431 (52.3%)

[Watch episodes and clips of 'Survivor' over at SlashControl.]

urrun56

Where is Richard Hatch? What happened to him?????

March 04 2010 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Cirie has no guts, huh? LOL Cirie is one of the best, smartest, and most diplomatic players in Survivor history. She's smart enough to not take a stand and put her neck on the block for issues where her opinion might jeopardize getting her further in the game. It's the "outlast, outsmart" part of the equation. Google it.

February 19 2010 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Bill

Cirie will "not take a stand and put her neck on the block for issues where her opinion might jeopardize getting her further in the game" which in other words mean the has no guts. Only Sandra has ever gotten further in the game by doing less.

February 19 2010 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

What has happened to James? He used to be Mr. Work, Mr. Muscle and Mr. Diplomatic "I'm just going to smile and do my part to not ruffle any feathers." And this season, he's screaming at people, shouting profanity, going over the top about Steph's Survivor Past. And that comment to Steph right after she got voted out, and the clips from next week's show, where he appears to have flipped out. I liked him better when he was just a nice, quiet-ish guy with lots of muscles.

February 19 2010 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

Boston Rob is still the best and watching that little weasel Russell freak out about his loss of control to Rob is awesome. Its like Boston Rob is their Messiah and they are all drooling at his feet (as they should be... LOL!)

Over at the Heroes tribe, I was bummed to see Stephanie go because I like a strong female and she is the strongest. They are dumb dumb dumb to get rid of such a strong player so early. Never saw James' season, but he's a dope. I don't know how he got anywhere trying the whole "holier than thou" lecturing bit. That crap never works. I still like Tom and Colby, but they are in big trouble now that the lines have been drawn and they are in the vast minority. I hope that they can merge before they are voted off, cause I can see Boston Rob taking them in long enough to get him to the finals.

We shall see. Its great to be watching Survivor again. It's been a few years and only Boston Rob could have brought me back and he's not disappointing!

February 19 2010 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

James came across as a total ass and showed a complete lack of respect for Stephenie. Maybe he has just a general disrespect for all women? Cirie, as usual, showed that she has no guts, just like in previous seasons. She refuses to take a stand and just wants to ride coattails. Candace also refused to take a stand and will probably end up being the next one to go. As for the villains, Rob continues to show why he is one of the best players to have ever played this game. Russell has disappointed me so far, he is letting his ego get the best of him.

February 19 2010 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bill's comment
dapete

I disagree about Cirie. I think she was faced with a choice, side with Tom/Colby (both players who have gone the distance) or Side with Rupert/James (both players who are easy reads). I think she made the right choice.

February 20 2010 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

The line between hero and villan is very grey on Survivor.The labels used probably shouldn't have been,it could have been another all stars and worked just as well.

February 19 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

This is actually my very first year watching "Survivor" and I am completely hooked. I am still trying to learn everyone and their different alliances and pasts with one another. My question though is, are they sure James is considered a "hero"? I found him to be completely vile and next week looks no better. And Rupert is kind of grating on my nerves. It's strange but I much prefer following the "villians" around.

February 19 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

Ultimately James was right that the tribe needs to have one voice and work together to survive and prosper.I fear that message was lost in the noise.

I now mute tribal council until the vote because that crap isn't worth hearing.

If this whole season is combined challenges and 30 minutes of vote strategy and the vote/tribal every episode I'm going to get really bored before it ends.

February 19 2010 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

since I could only use 3 urls in one post
here is

*Stephenie the day after

February 19 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

the Villains really needed that tarp
the Heroes are idiots for voting out their strongest, fittest female this early - Stephenie could have helped
them in future challenges ** well Heroes at least you
still got Rupert and his broken toe to sit out challenges
and shout out you while you are doing challenges :/

*Stephenie's secret scene

*Stephenie's complete final words

*Tribal council voting (see what each person said as they voted)

CBS always throws these up on You Tube the next day in case some of you Survivor fans didn't know :)

February 19 2010 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply