July 31, 2014

Syfy Standing Behind 'Caprica' For 'The Long Haul'

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 19th 2010 1:05PM
caprica james marstersDespite low ratings and a mixed reception from genre fans, Syfy isn't ready to cash out its cubits and give up on 'Caprica' just yet.

Mark Stern, Syfy's EVP of original programming, told Airlock Alpha that the cable net is committed to the show "for the long haul."

Stern says Syfy wasn't expecting the 'Battlestar Galactica' prequel series to become a hit right out of the gate, not even with fans of Ron Moore's celebrated sci-fi show.

"It's not 'Battlestar Galactica,' it's its own animal. And we definitely recognize that it's going to find its audience and it's going to grow its audience," he said.

'Caprica's January premiere reeled in only 1.6 million viewers, but the low turnout was expected, since the two-hour pilot was released on DVD last fall and had also been streaming for free online since December. But the low ratings continued, with the series' second and third episodes pulling in fewer than 1.4 million viewers each (less than 'Swamp Loggers', as our friends at Buddy TV have pointed out.)

But Stern assures fans that Syfy is "certainly not sharpening the axe by any stretch of the imagination." Still, the network has no plans to boost its marketing push for the show. Instead, Stern says 'Caprica' will likely gain more viewers as the story gains momentum and continues to evolve. He said the pace would pick up with the March 5 arrival of 'Buffy' alum James Marsters as terrorist leader Barnabus Greeley.

Stern promised the show would "tighten up the plotting" with upcoming episodes, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. I've been split on the two eps to air beyond the pilot; they've offered some great acting, intriguing ideas, amazing set design and cinematography, but they've also felt slow and shapeless. 'Caprica' has a lot of potential, and I'm not about to abandon ship only two episodes into the first season.

So what's next for 'Caprica'? Stern didn't mention the rumored 'Final Five' arc we told you about last week, but he did say characters would soon be hopping into Vipers to visit other worlds like Gemenon and Tauron. But don't expect to see any 'BSG'-style space battles. Instead, 'Caprica' will carry on the 'BSG' tradition by continuing to explore themes of identity, loss, fear, and robot angst.

The show will take a mid-season break in March. Stern said Syfy would probably pair 'Caprica' up with a new series when it returns in the summer, another unexpected show of faith for a complex drama that deserves some time to find its footing.

joaopft

Caprica is far too advanced, for the times we live in. This is work breaking new ground, and I am sure after this cold reception, it will grow on people, and it will be talked about for many hears to come.

In the pilot, Zoe keeps saying she knows the difference between good and evil. Like in the Book of Genesis (that was to be written in the far future), she ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and she also tried to bring to the world an immortal copy of herself (thus making herself use of the tree of life). Now, what God did say it would happen to their human creations, once they have committed these sins?

This series is tying up both the myths set up by the BSG series, and the myths that are the foundation of our Western civilization in a very well done narrative. It is built on the footsteps of the best ancient greek drama, merged with the jewish-christian mythology. Forget about Star Wars, or anything else done before. This is the real deal.

March 12 2010 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to joaopft's comment
Villavlg

Your comment was more interesting than anything that has happened in this show. I'm done with it.

March 16 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prepare to Jump

Long live SCI-FI, not sy-fy. Sorry to ramble but I care about science fiction in a world where reality tv is taking over.
That is all.

February 20 2010 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prepare to Jump

What can I say, I am not digging Caprica. I have watched it stoned, I have rewatched it sober, I have watched it forcefully. I just don't get it.
The CGI on the Cylon is horrible, when a robot is used that often for such close filming shots, it should be real robotics/props. Anyway, that is the least of it's problems. Each episode is drawn out, nothing but teenage drama mostly happens. Wow, the Graystones went on a talk show and lil girl got a diagnostics check, LLLLAAAMMMMEEEEE.
It's like Medium and CSI rolled up into one lame show. The SyFy channel is turning into a ghosthunters-ghostwhisperers lamo channel. The pilot showed that it had potential and I hope it gets better. But if not, the heck with it, bring back FIREFLY! The characters say blah blah blah all day. I want anger, emotion, action. I want to feel it with and without words. This needs Edward Olmos in the directors chair, it needs grit, it needs to drop the group sex scenes and the stupid dancing and get with the program. Sam Adama is the only guy worth watching. Man I wish he would have killed her. I think this show is done. Bring back Farscape or the Sarah Conner Chronicles, The Bionic Woman, Katee Sackoff's Ghost, anything to replace this when it's gone. Just can Caprica as a matter of fact. I'm done with the show.

How bout Quantum Leap? lol SERIOUSLY

February 20 2010 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

Caprica would have been better if it wasn't associated with BSG.. Whenever I watch I wish there would be a time jump and just focus on Adama's teen years when he decided to get into the military.. stuff like that.. Ideas are great.. but it fails to hold my attention.. What I wouldn't give for a frakking space battle.

February 19 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Odessa

I like the show and the ideas it explores. If you could bring back to life someone you love dearly, what would happen? I think most of us can really relate to that.
I'm also looking forward to the James Marsters episodes.
And it's still a big cut above a lot of stuff on tv.
I hope Syfy does stick with it and give it some time to get an audience.

February 19 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

I like the show and find it more intelligent than any of the recent syfy offerings. Much better than sgu.

February 19 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

Yeah, yeah, they said the same thing about Farscape when they renewed it for two seasons and then cancelled it a year later. For Syfy, the "long haul" may be no more than the 20 episodes they already have in the can.

All that being said, Caprica needs to some work. I'm enjoying it so far, but I can also see why it's not catching on with more people. This series needs more than teenage Cylon angst.

February 19 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kikstad

I like Caprica, but did it have to be a prequel? I'm tired of prequels, and maybe audiences are too.

Could Caprica have worked and explored similar themes in a sequel setting? "New Caprica" or "New Earth" in which the descendants of the survivors of Battlestar Galactica, trying to build a new life, having forgotten some of the horrors of their ancestors, start repeating the same mistakes their predecessors made? That fits in with Galactica's repeated message that "this has all happened before" and it might be a better allegory for today's viewers to connect to -- repeating history's mistakes.

In the current version of Caprica, like with all prequels, we know where the story is going. Sequels offer more surprises.

-- Nick