July 25, 2014

Jane After Dark: 'Supernatural' is Approaching 'Buffy' Territory

by Jane Boursaw, posted Feb 21st 2010 11:03AM
Jane After Dark, Supernatural
Even though some episodes still scare the crap out of me, I'm really getting into 'Supernatural.' I know this because it's tough trying to do other work while I'm watching it at night. Impossible, really. Instead, I use it as my own little incentive program -- edit this post, watch five minutes of 'Supernatural,' write up that review, watch five minutes of 'Supernatural.' Cubicle workers have bonuses and rewards programs, I have 'Supernatural.'

It's approaching 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' territory in terms of the glue factor -- I can't take my eyes off it when it's on, and can't wait for whatever the next episode brings. In fact, they just referenced Buffy. In 'Hell House' (S01E17), one of the ghosthunters mentioned WWBD: What Would Buffy Do? I knew I was on the right track with that thinking.

And speaking of cubicle workers, I've never been much for following rules, which is one reason why I'm loving the boys. Between the credit card fraud, impersonating cops, and driving the Metallicar across the country, I think I'd fit right in with these guys (well, except for the scary demon part). They're sticking it to the man while they stick it to the demons. Yeah, I like that.

And they get around, don't they? Tooling their way across the country from Michigan to Kansas to Texas, they've made it cool to live in flyover country. Yes! A lot of us live out here in the middle of the country! Not on the east or west coast!

And, of course, the music is awesome. Dean's made it cool to listen to classic bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Foreigner, and Bad Company. Those of us who grew up with these bands have known their coolness all along, but now the younger crowd can know it, too. Wow, I sound like an old fuddy -duddy! But maybe my kids will finally understand the appeal of AC/DC on ten. A mom can dream...

I've been paying attention to what some of you guys mentioned in last week's comments -- the tacky motel rooms, the names they use to impersonate people, and of course, Dean's lines. Teresa, I'm with you. I'm always yelling at the show: "Get out of there! Listen to Sam and Dean! They know what they're talking about!"

The arc is starting to come together for me, too. I just watched 'Shadow' (S01E16), the episode where the boys end up in the same place as their dad, fighting the same shadow demons. At its heart, 'Supernatural' is really a family show that also happens to include demons. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Stay tuned for more 'Supernatural' in Jane After Dark ...

Teresa

So glad you are still enjoying the show, Jane! I just wrapped up season 4 and now I have to wait until summer (or whenever season 5's DvD is released) to catch the current season, unless I decide to start watching it on Thursdays, even though I'm a little behind. I'm sure there will be repeats on at some point, too.

I love comparing certain events in the show to real life and thinking, "What if..." What if demons existed and serial killers we read about really were possessed, what if missing people were people kidnapped by vampires, etc. It's a fun show to watch, even when it is serious.

February 24 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

While I don't think Supernatural will ever have the legacy that Buffy has, I honestly like it more. The Supernatural mythology is ridiculously fascinating and I'm always excited to see what happens next. Season 5 has been incredible so far- The Song Remains the Same and My Bloody Valentine both stand out. The earlier seasons have scared me so much but I could not stop watching. There's one incredible episode involving necromancy, I think it's around season 3?

February 22 2010 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dr_g99

I can't wait till you get to season 4, specifically to the "Wishing Well" episode. Ted Raimi, giant teddy bears, enough said.

February 22 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Odessa

Jane,
Thanks for giving Supernatural lots of love lately.
You're spot on about the Buffy adhesiveness. Supernatural has the same sticky quality. They've got a great episode this season where the boys are at a fan convention. (Don't want to say too much) and it was written for us! It's hilarious!

February 22 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin Vogel

Yes, Jane, you have it right--SUPERNATURAL is a real treat, no matter what season you're digging into. I've watched since the Pilot, and have enjoyed every episode since with lip-smacking goodness! The boys break rules everywhere they go, and it only gets worse! I love the car, the seedy hotels, the wonderful classic tunes (which we lose as time goes by because their budget is cut and the music is the first thing to go), and of course, the Winchester brothers themselves, the heart of SUPERNATURAL. This IS a show about family, mostly about these scrappy brothers who love each other more than anything and who will sacrifice everything to keep the other alive. It's often heartbreaking to watch, but the payoff is always breathtaking. Long may SUPERNATURAL reign! Love, Robin, Editor, SUPERNATURAL, www.moogi.com

February 22 2010 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lauren

Thank you for posting about supernatural. I've been watching since season one and just adore this show.
You must check out the gag reel/bloopers for each season. Those guys are absolutely hilarious!
Watch faster!!

February 22 2010 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"They're sticking it to the man"

Actually, they're pretty much simple con artists. And unlike some other shows, they don't only con people who have done bad things, or to rectify injustices--they're often conning ordinary business owners to support themselves. The best light you can put on it is that they only steal what they need, and aren't trying to get rich. This is not to say I dislike the show, only that the boys are not role models for anyone.

February 21 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloriousone

Taeylor, I have to agree with you, however I think mid-season 2 is when the show really starts to get good. I was a bit concerned in the middle of season 5 (the angst of the brother's relationship was getting too much for me). However, the last few episodes have been amazing. Honestly My Bloody Valentine was the best episode made to date. Wow. I am amazed at how the show keeps getting better and better.
Regarding how the show effects the lives of the viewers. Wow, where can I begin? It re-affirms my confidence in humanity as well as the belief that free will is honestly the best thing God ever gave us. It has also made me become more interested in studying my religion as well as the psychology of familial relationships. I've watched Buffy and am a HUGE Joss Whedon fan, but I can honestly say I have never seen a show effect so many people the way SPN has.
I am thrilled that Jane After Dark is watching this series and sharing the step-by-step addiction process I have seen so many hesitant viewers go through. I cannot wait until she reaches the point where things that happen in season 3-5 effect the viewer's point of view of seasons 1-2, and she has to start watching the whole series over. It's a vicious cycle, but a really fun roller coaster to ride!

February 21 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis McKnight

Speak for yourself Diane! There are many parts of Supernatural that have made me feel better about myself, strong and more confident. And I am huge lover of Buffy as well.

At the heart of this show is family and that means a lot! The rest is just window dressing!

February 21 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Cant believe your only in season one. It gets so much better from there.

February 21 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply