October 22, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'When the Cow Kicked Me in the Head' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Feb 22nd 2010 12:10AM
The Amazing Race teams get serenaded in Chile
(S16E02) 'The Amazing Race' is the reality television show that most viewers want to live vicariously through. After all, who really wants to be stuck in a house with strangers? Or eat bugs? Nope. We want adventure! A whirlwind trip through countries, cool challenges, a quick cultural dip into unfamiliar territories, and more. Sure, there's a million dollar prize at the end. But I think the show attracts some teams almost as much for the adventure of it all. However, teams caught up in the adventure sometimes take their eyes off the prize and face Philimination.

Alliances? You think you're on 'Survivor' or what?
We've seen alliances on the show before, but it's usually larger groups of teams and not by the second leg. Two different alliances formed tonight -- Joe/Heidi and Carol/Brandy, Jeff/Jordan and Caite/Brent. I don't think either of the alliances are going to be long term. Carol and Brandy come across as users. They mock the other teams, yet quickly latched onto Joe and Heidi for support. With the Jeff/Jordan and Caite/Brent alliance, I like to think of it as the Show Biz Buddies. Both teams are set a bit apart from the others, as they've been in the public eye before. They're probably going to last longer than the other alliance, but both teams are starting out quite strong.

Some smart thinking and some OOPS!
With the buses, the cowboys and the Show Biz Buddies were quick thinking enough to explore whether buses from other cities might arrive first at their desired destination. Bingo! They found accommodations in Temuco, which would get them in hours before the other teams!

Uh-oh. What the Show Biz Buddies didn't realize is that there are two bus terminals in that town. While the cowboys had a bus leaving a half-hour later, they knew the Buddies were in the wrong spot. And, the buddies ended up missing both buses! The cowboys, Jet and Cord, were a bit sneaky in not telling the Buddies. But it was a good move for them. Plus, no one for sure knew at the time that the cowboys knew about the other terminal. So they're golden with it.

Llamas, condors, cows, and chickens, oh my
These were fun challenges to watch, although llamas and even cows can get just a bit surly if they so desire. Obviously, so can condors. Since the teams had to be the condor, they don't really count. The detour with either dressing a llama or being a condor seemed to gather more llama-dressers. Now, had the condor bit really demanded that the teams in the wings really had to glide some, all of those teams would have been in hot cold water. It reminded me of the Red Bull Flugtag events except all the teams jumped and sunk. In Flugtag, some actually fly.

The cowboys, being around ranches, were a cinch for the cow-milking in the roadblock. But what really caught my attention was the blurring of cow butts. If memory serves, cow patties have actually been used in previous seasons in various challenges. But the cow making the patty? Oh, no way! The censors just can't allow that! Very odd rationale, don't you think? I mean, it happens! I'm glad Jordan of Jordan/Jeff wasn't the one doing the roadblock. I fear she'd still be looking for the kitchen.

The Pit Stop Order
1. Jet and Cord - each won a sailboat
2. Joe and Heidi
3. Carol and Brandy
4. Brent and Caite
5. Monique and Shawne
6. Jeff and Jordan
7. Steve and Allie
8. Dan and Jordan
9. Louie and Michael
10. Jody and Shannon -- Philiminated

A quick take on the teams
Jet and Cord -- Although they did a silly last week with the Brazilian money, they redeemed themselves this week. Loved the cowboy hat protectors.
Joe and Heidi -- I'm a bit ambivalent about this team. I want them to lose the alliance.
Carol and Brandy -- I wanted to like them, but one is really pretty mean-spirited and they don't seem to have the bond I thought they had.
Brent and Caite -- Oh, geez. I'm kind of liking them. I didn't want to like them. But I think they're a strong team.
Monique and Shawne -- These two seem really contradictory. They're girly-girly, yet one gets kicked in the face by a cow and shrugs it off.
Jeff and Jordan -- I liked them on 'Big Brother.' Jordan is still Jordan, though. It won't play on this show as well as it did in the house.
Steve and Allie -- We haven't seen a lot of them. I wonder if they're going to be dark horses in the race.
Dan and Jordan -- Well, they're entertaining, I guess. But who doesn't at least practice a stick-shift before going on the show?
Louie and Michael -- Gah! I expected better navigation from police detectives! They had the best line of the night -- "Drive it like you stole it."
Jody and Shannon -- What a sweet team! Although in great shape, Jody tended to care a bit more to smell the roses rather than do a breakneck speed race. She's tough, but she puttered about with the cows and singing to the llamas. What a wonderful experience for them, but they didn't have a real competitive edge.

Your thoughts on the teams?

Which team is the weakest on TAR?
Jeff and Jordan14 (4.7%)
Brent and Caite10 (3.3%)
Cord and Jet6 (2.0%)
Monique and Shawne27 (9.0%)
Louie and Michael104 (34.8%)
Dan and Jordan75 (25.1%)
Brandy and Carol51 (17.1%)
Joe and Heidi2 (0.7%)
Steve and Allie10 (3.3%)

[Watch episodes and clips of 'The Amazing Race' over at SlashControl.]

Bonnie

Ms. Beauty contestant ("geography, South Africa, Iraq, blah blah blah") is really living up to her reputation. Hello, is there anybody in there? While reading the clue, the poor girl couldn't even pronounce the words correctly. Cringe. And at the end when they came in 4th, her boyfriend tried to high five her, but she didn't have a clue what he was doing, so he sheepishlly just put his hand down. Yeeesh! Didn't anyone else notice this?

February 27 2010 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The clue obviously didn't say anything about what a baker's dozen was, Jeff pointed out that it was good that he did the challenge instead of Jordan... He asked her what one was... Did she answer? Love the girl, but it's good he did that challenge.

February 22 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Donna

Yeah, well, you know Jordan... On Big Brother, she didn't know how many minutes was a quarter hour. That also is common knowledge. (If it's not, then I'm afraid I don't want to know what the kids are NOT being taught in school these days! LOL)

Jeff probably needs to do the brainier challenges. Jordan can do the physical ones, unless of course it is a challenge more suited for a man's strength. I think Team JJ will only go as far as Jeff gets. I like Jordan, but she couldn't even get close to winning TAR on her own.

February 22 2010 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

A bakers dozen is pretty dang common knowledge to most people. I think I learned that in 5th grade. I suspect the producers set it up to see if they could catch anyone not knowing the term (or just not reading the clue well), but no one failed. Good, because that would have been pretty sad.

As for me, I was originally rooting for my local Rhode Isand teams, but since both seem incompetant, I've switched to the cowboys, and now "Oh my gravy!" is my favorite new phrase!!!

February 22 2010 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

So you are telling me that everyone that had to collect the ingredients knew what a baker's dozen is? I had the feeling it was either written in the clue or someone told them. That is not common knowledge especially for a younger person.

February 22 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to davidm3825's comment
Kristi

I get some of the above posters about actively rooting against teams this early. I have a few of my own, the biggest ones being Carol & Brandy because I think they're mean-spirited and snobs AND Louie & Michael because for detectives, they sure as heck don't pay attention to the details (They're lucky they ran into Jeff & Jordan AND that they pointed them in the right direction, because if not, I'm pretty sure they'd still be wandering around Chile NOW.)

As for the others, there's some I'm on the fence with so I'll let them slide for now. And there's even a few we've only seen like 5 minutes of them in the first 2 episodes!

Jet & Cord definitely redeemed themselves this episode, and will surely be the ones to beat. They're independent, competitive and smart...

AND I don't think Jody & Shannon really had a shot in this competition, they were both too sweet to really dig in and be competitive with the other teams.

February 22 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I think it's interesting that Jody and Shannon would've still been in it, were it not for the initial transportation portion of the leg. Had the other teams not discovered that a transfer was faster, the old gal would've been right there... in fact, I'm pretty confident that they wouldn't have been eliminated this week, as they were more than an hour behind the main pack, yet caught up with at least the detectives...

What got me was how she was milking the cow... after being booted in the head, you'd think she would've considered not employing the same method (putting one arm under and the other behind and through the legs of the cow... of course that freaked the cow out!)...

But it wasn't her age or anything like that that cost them tonight... I think in 9/10 seasons they would've survived this leg because in 9/10 seasons you wouldn't have had ANY of the teams seeking alternate connectors... and thus they would've been in it... oh well. But you have to give it to her, she got right back in there, and not only that, but was able to carry all that stuff... wow... shame.

February 22 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I am LOVING the cowboys. They ran a brilliant leg while being underestimated by others. They were proactive and got more information on the Temuco bus and while there a bit of luck and shrewd analysis helped them ditch two teams without any repercussions. They also expertly handled the Detour and the Road Block though to be fair the task weren't too out-of-this-world for them.

Other than them, I'm not really rooting for anyone else. Like Zwicke, I feel I'm already actively rooting against a bunch of people, which is a bit perturbing so early on in the season.

February 22 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zwicker

Of the remaining nine teams, I am actively rooting against five. The lesbian couple and Dan and Jordan are way too bitchy. The two pretty couples are just too dumb. How else do you explain leaving the first bus station that you know is ten minutes away when you have two minutes to get there? The brothers are also a bunch of dolts. How they make their livings as detectives is beyond me.

February 22 2010 at 8:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zwicker's comment
Brent McKee

The Brothers (Dan and "Boy Jordan"; actually Jet & Cord are brothers too) aren't detectives. Louie & Michael aren't brothers but both are undercover cops in Providence.

February 22 2010 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zwicker

For the second week in a row, the show had some sloppy editing. As with last week, we all of a sudden found some teams appearing at the end of a task with no sight of them actually doing the task.

February 22 2010 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

If memory serves, growing up around Farms,especially milk cow farms, they dont just make patties, they spew forth noxious liquid.

February 22 2010 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply