April 18, 2014

'24' - '12:00 AM - 1:00 AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 23rd 2010 12:36AM
fox 24 recap day 8
(S08E09) Now the clock is really ticking.

Farhad's crew raised the stakes for the season with a plan to set off a radiological bomb in New York. And things finally erupted in a big way with the Dana/Kevin/Cole storyline. Jack got Renee out of the hot seat, but it cost him his plane ride back to his family (again).

The moral of this episode? You just can't trust anyone these days.

Josef stabbed his daddy in the back by stealing the nuclear rods, only to get gunned down by Farhad and friends. Looking to make a big bloody statement, Farhad's goons double-crossed their boss with a plot to use the rods as a weapon. And Weiss set Renee up to take the fall for the mission's failure (I never trusted that guy). Let's talk about that last development.

Once again, Jack was forced to take matters into his own hands to save a friend from falling victim to a shady official's back door deal. A few great scenes sprang out from this plotline. First, it's always fun to see Jack kicking someone's ass inside CTU headquarters. And who didn't love hearing him casually threaten that guard?

"Son, you better put that down, or you're gonna get hurt." Such a Jack Bauer thing to say.

Renee's interview with the Justice Department flunky was tense and emotional. For a minute there, I thought she was gonna reenact the stabbing scene from a few hours ago. Annie Wersching has done an amazing job all season, and her performance in this ep was no exception.

The showdown between Jack and Hastings was also pretty tense. I'm happy to see that Hastings, inspired by Jack's forceful integrity, is finally starting to step out from under Weiss's boot. Like Jack said, he needs to take control of the operation now more than ever, especially since two of his top agents (Dana and Cole) are MIA.

So Cole finally learned the truth about his lovely Dana, AKA "Jenny." Poor Cole. You really gotta feel sorry for the guy. He thought Dana was simply cheating on him. Now he has blood on his hands, as well as a broken heart. Still, I can't say I was sad to see him blow Nick away with a shotgun. But Nick's demise came after he stabbed his buddy Kevin in the gut (you see what I mean about trusting people?). Judging from the preview for next week's ep, it looks like Kevin is (sigh) still kickin'. I guess this ridiculous B plot is gonna drag on all season long.

This was a solid episode of '24', with plenty of suspense, some shocking bursts of action, and a breakneck pace. I'm really looking forward to next week, especially now that Jack is back in "with both feet," ready to lead the operation to rescue Farhad. (It's nothing personal, Agent Owens, but Jack Bauer is in the house!)

lylekira

I will never understand why people who dislike a show still watch, and not only watch, but come to blog about the show and share their dislike. It's called "moving on" .... try giving it a shot.

February 28 2010 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antonio60

"This is the 2nd to worst season of 24..." but better than the rest of the series.that is the question.I think your expectations do not enjoy it in the series. The last two episodes were good, with some especially interesting moments

February 24 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

I did love the way Dana, AKA "Jenny's" southern accent kicked in when she started confessin'. You can take the girl out the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out the girl.

February 23 2010 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sebastian

Boy, 24 is going from bad to worse. Does anybody give 2 cents about the accuracy of the location? I do. That was not Forest Hills where the nuclear material was sequestered. Further, is anyone wondering why the order hasn't been issued to seal off Queens from the surrounding boroughs in New York? Then again, everytime CTU forms a "perimeter" it is breached.

Raccoon Boy

February 23 2010 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chancock6

Couldn't agree more about Annie Wersching's awesomeness. I love how protective Jack is of Renee. I hope these two can have a little happiness together after this awful day is over.

February 23 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GDawg

This is the 2nd to worst season of 24. The worst being the season with Jack's dad and brother. Drones? Come on!

February 23 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Anyone else wishing that Cole had just shot both of them in the van for blackmailing his fiance?

February 23 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Evan's comment
Ricky

February 23 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

"Both" of them? No. All *three* of them, that flitted through my mind. ;)

February 23 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

I liked this episode the best so far. Gee, there are a lot of "haters" out there!
This episode had suspense, betrayal, action, etc. Jack gravitating to a damaged Renee is interesting since he does like to rescue people, especially women. Great! Now Jenny has sucked Cole into her past dysfunction and she shows sympathy to Kevin. After the mess he put her in? Has Freddie Prinze had plastic surgery? His face is so tight and shiny. I do not like him or believe him in this role.
Farhad is a crybaby and whiner, and needs to get a taste of his own medicine. Or, just a good old ass whippin.
Fun episode. Can't wait until next week....

February 23 2010 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Yow, it was looking like Jack was finally moving towards becoming whole again and now he's been dragged back into the arena and on top of that he's hitched his wagon to Renee and is trying to save a soul maybe twice as damaged as he ever was. What are the odds of that turning out well?

Jack's "Son... you're going to get hurt." took me right back to Bogey's "A crippled newsie took them away, but I made him give them back." when he brings Wilmer back to Gutman sans guns in "Maltese Falcon". 24 is never better than when Jack is in all out heinie kicking mode.

The good thing about Hastings growing a spine is I suspect he'll be as big a PITA to anyone he goes up against now as he was when he was strictly in CYA mode.

Poor Cole. His dream girl turns out to be a big old bagful of crazy and now he's up to his neck in her droppings.

A bomb in 19 hours? I can see it it you've got the parts and the people. They're only out to build a "dirty bomb" not something to rival the nuke from Los Alamos, and they've made their most difficult acquisition in getting the rods.

February 23 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I'm glad Kevin and Shane are out of the way. They had no relevance to the nuclear material which is where I hoped the story would go, but at least it gives Dana and Cole a huge problem to deal with in the midst of the crisis. The nuclear material backstabbing was fun and now there's a legitimate, confirmed threat of attack. The Jack and Renee stuff was a big step on such a serialized show, so it'll be interesting how it plays out in the end.

Review of the episode on my blog:

February 23 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply