September 2, 2014

Ann-Margret joins Jaclyn Smith on 'Law & Order: SVU'

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 23rd 2010 1:02PM
Ann-MargretWell, this episode of 'Law & Order: SVU' is turning into a greatest hits of sexy women from years gone by. Actually, that's not quite accurate. Both of these women are still quite attractive. We already told you that former 'Charlie's Angels' star Jaclyn Smith will be appearing in an episode of the NBC drama on March 31. Now another famous star has been added to the episode.

Ann-Margret will appear in the same episode. TV Guide says that she'll play a woman who starred in commercials in the 1970s who gets involved in the case that Stabler and Benson are working on. Smith will play a detective involved in the same case. And if that's not enough beautiful TV women for you, what if we add Susan Anton and Morgan Fairchild to the mix? This episode is shaping up to be more 'Diagnosis: Murder' or 'Murder She Wrote' than 'Law & Order: SVU,' but it sounds like fun.

Well, I don't know if any episode of any 'Law & Order' show can be described as "fun," but this sounds like it could come close.

Helen

The last picture (Rita Wills) that Ann-Margret shows is a picture of her when she was younger. I wonder how many people caught that?

April 05 2010 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geoff groedner

All of these "old pros" are okay with me. Talent, beauty and a certain telegenic presence that built and held audiences. Most could really act and were totally appropriate for their time. It's the entertainment business, nothing really important.

February 25 2010 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LVCupcake

I wish Mariska's mom was still with us - I'd love to see the two of them acting together.

February 25 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobby

I just have to say, that I have not ever been so enthalled by such a fast, educating, & swift drama-series, from the original, and all the branches that have come from the Original. Each & every Character, is so well matched with what people think of the Law & of the Judical. This truely has to be the Absolute-Best, Drama series ever!!! THANKS!!!
A special shout to Sam Watterson, Chris Meloni, Mirishca Harriety, The Capt. & LT. & always Ice-Tea, and Richard Belzer, and all the Criminal Intent Folks, as well...Thank-You all for your hard work, commitment, & loyalty to producing Quality, educational television, as hard as the subjects that you all approach; real all represent our real world, and make us all more AWARE!!!! Thank-You!!!
Bobby in SWFL-Cape Coral...

February 25 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T83

I think some of the comments about this article are plain crazy! I could see if the article mentioned adding these "celebrities" as permanent or reoccurring cast members, but all this grief for one episode?!!? Pearline talked about bringing Stephanie March back, but to my recollection, she has returned to the show. And Courtney Vance and Jamie Sheridan were on L&O Criminal Intent, while Sam Waterson is on the regular L&O, but the article is about SVU. Maybe people who don't actually watch the show (and obviously Pearline is not a true fan since those errors were made in his/her comments) should consider not commenting on how supposedly bad this 1 EPISODE (1 as in singular, not permanent) is going to be. And anyone who has been watching L&O SVU for the last 10 years like I have know that they routinely have celebrities, past and present, on the show. I like when celebrities appear and you get to see them most times play roles outside of what they became famous for (most notably in my opinion Judith Light...she KICKS A** as Judge Donnelly). SVU is and always will be awesome in general.

Now that's all I'm going to say before I have to start considering myself a "nerd" like the rest of you for not having nothing to do with my life besides get all "up in arms" about a television show when there are so many other things in life that are more important to be doing/thinking about/spending time on.

February 24 2010 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabeth

Ihave enjoyed Law and Order off and on for years, Having older stars for a show here or there will not hurt the show as long as the story is good and the actors are talented. Betty White played a good part for years and now she has fun doing parts that fit her age . I feel she could do Law and order if the part called for her to fit the part S

February 24 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MSGAM76

I LOVE L@O SVU!!! AND ELLIOT STABLER!!!! AND OLIVIA BENSON TOO!!! however, i do not like the idea of them adding old actress/actors to bring up thier ratings. i like the show just the way it is!!!! i dont even know who j.smith, a.margaret,m.fairchild are!! so having them do a "special appearance" does NOT impress me at all!!! keep up the good work mr.meloni and ms.hagarty[sorry if i spelled name wrong] i will continue to be a deicated l&o svu fan!!

February 24 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Freddie

The show is still the best on television, and they have used guest starts to remarkable effect. Jane Seyjmour turned in a marvelous performance as the mother of a disturbed young man, and Martin Short - not exactly known for his dramatic roles - was mesmerizing as a clever psychopath. I have a hunch that some of these guest stars will be playing to character: why not reserve judgement until after the show?

February 24 2010 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigfan

I remember seeing Robin Williams on an episode. It was pretty good. Maybe it will show that these 'babes' can do serious roles, just as it showed for Williams. I will watch.

February 24 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cpeter133

Smith, Anton, and Fairchld have always been regarded more for their looks than their talent, but Ann-Margret is a solid, classically-trained actress who Hollywood never knew how to cast. She has done BRILLIANT work, and look forward to seeing Hargitay and Ann-Margret work together; there haven't been many actresses on that show who could stand up to Mariska in a dramatic scene.

February 24 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply