October 31, 2014

George Lopez Tapped for Speedy Gonzales Movie

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 25th 2010 7:42PM
Since Hollywood is content with destroying the majority of my greatest TV memories, they are now reaching to the far corners of my brain for beloved childhood icons to forever scar me.

TV actor and comedian George Lopez has been tapped to provide the voice for the beloved Speedy Gonzales in a new big screen movie adaptation of the beloved Warner Brothers 'Looney Tunes' franchise.

Now I understand that big names bring big bucks to the box office, but this really the first time in my mind that a famous Looney Tunes character is being re-voiced by a star instead of a trained voice actor who can mimic the immortal voice of the late Mel Blanc. Voice actor Billy West, an outspoken critic of celebrity voice over characters, once described it in an earlier interview I did with him for Arriviste Press magazine as "most artless, bloodless, Godless idea I've ever heard."

J.C.

Wow! If Warner Bros. really feel the need to introduce classic LT characters to a new audience, then they should think about bringing back the 4 disc Golden Collections to DVD, instead of cheesy (no pun intended Speedy fans) crap like this.

February 28 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lefty

Obvious choice... George will be brilliant... he is a funny guy...

February 28 2010 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
don

How can a hipanic possibly do justice to the voice of Speedy Gonzalez the way Mel Blanc did. LOL

February 28 2010 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pattmak818

i hope they would watch george ,and his stand up comedy shows on h b o or showtime, 1m 70 yrs old and it made me blush, this man has a filthy mouth for sure.

February 28 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lav

George - don't be a pendejo!

February 28 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lav

ummmmmmmm Much as I love Speedy and George -

Isn't this buying into stero types?

February 28 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

People are a hoot -- it's just a cartoon, and as far as I am concerned, not a particularly great one. As to cartoon movies, get a life. They have made plenty of them. What did you call the "Flintstone" movie with John Goodman or "The Speed Racer" movie? I think George Lopez is a realistic choice. Cheech Martin is a bit long in the tooth now and that makes a difference in voice.

February 28 2010 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty Fentress

My big concern is that George makes the same mistake that Robin Williams did in Aladine. All of Disney films are timeless except for Aladine because of the referrences to things and people that were in vogue at the time of the orginal release. Snow White would not be the classic that it is, if they made references to FDR or Shirley Temple, as kids today most likely don't know who they are. All I have to say is Geroge, Keep it timeless!!!

February 28 2010 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sekinu2

This is the worst idea ever in every way.. Today they wont be able to have speedy be speedy without someone feelings being hurt if even its just the outfit speedy wears. Then george lopez as his voice come on now why bother just make a new character and leave speedy out of it if the character cant be speedy...what a dumb thing to do

February 28 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken Burke

Cease with the racist stereotypes.

Please?