July 22, 2014

Kid Gets Detention for Repeating Joke From 'The Office'

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 25th 2010 3:31PM
This happened last year but it's still worth posting. A thirteen-year-old kid got detention for repeating Michael Scott's popular catch phrase "That's what she said!" during class. Steve Carell should write a note to him.

The funniest part is this detention notice sent to his parents. It's funny when a teacher has to put down a reason like this for a detention and has to describe it. Is the kid a wiseass? Probably, but it's funny. All of my report cards when I was a kid said "gets good grades but laughs too much in class."

note

TR

I love that show but I would have written that kid up too in my class. There is a time and a place for everything and a class full of kids is not the place for "that's what she/he said" jokes. If you think that it is ok, then you should never be put in charge of teaching impressionable children!

February 26 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allie

Some kid got suspended during my junior year of high school for saying "thats what she said" during the school play, which was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

February 26 2010 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle

BS thats wat ive got to say. stupid teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:O

February 26 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JaW

"Too many adults are treating kids like adults or buddies and not like kids" Are you serious? You're probably one of those teachers that treats their students like they're idiots. If you treat kids like idiots, guess what?! They're going to act like idiots! Big suprise right?! However, if you treat them like adults, that they can take responsibility for themselves, and learn from their mistakes, then they'll act more like adults. Ex: Kid doesn't do homework, teacher yells at kid, gives him detention and the kid also has a lower grade. Is that proffesional? Lets try this: Kid doesn't do homework, teacher gives him a lower grade, kid takes responsibility, and if he doesn't change his ways like adults do, he fails the class.

February 26 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Jaramillo

I do not watch the show. But, that expression "that's what she (or he) said is not new. I was in the Navy in 1977 when I first heard it. I remember a sailor I worked with saying it all the time and he'd get laughs... especially when it was timed just right and we were all fairly drunk.

February 26 2010 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

Everyone thinks being in school is 100% about learning. It's also a place where people grow socially. Not saying that this is the most appropriate joke, but what if 80% of the class laughed? Wouldn't that signify that they're more comfortable with that sort of content? I'm NOT saying we should totally promote a lot of crude content, but maybe a teacher that laughs along with that wins over some students and they pay more attention because they feel their teacher is more down to earth, not uptight and trying to ram information down their throats.

February 26 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JaW

Wow, you guys are ridiculous. Lighten up. "children have no right to free speech, particularly in a school setting" LUL DATS TAKING AWAY FROM MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH! Seriously? The whole point of school is to learn to think for yourself, and try to apply what you have learned to everyday life. A little comedy in the classroom actually helps me learn, because you start paying more attention and listening more. I always say funny remarks during class, and I have a 92 average, and i don't study."What part of the lesson did the students miss while passing notes? You have your whole life to tell jokes and have a good time. You only go to school once." You do realize that you spend atleast 18+ years of your life in school?(If you go to college) Where in the detention note does it say the kids were passing notes?

February 26 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvlschld746

OMG! I use that phrase at my school! Everyone does! Everyone doesn't need to get so worked up about it! Its just in plain fun! And yes, it is free speech but i admit it may be a little inappropriate. Although, it's only inappropriate if you think of it in that way everyone is thinking it means...

February 26 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark fahey

this is a harsh and unsatisfying situation. "thats what she said" hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

February 26 2010 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark fahey

when I was in high school in the early 70's, we said this all the time. when I first heard it on the office it brought back a flood of happy memories and laughs we all had from it. I went to a strict catholic school, and even the priests got a chuckle out of it. I've even said it a few times in the 30 years since and it still gets laughs. this school is humor unfriendly.

February 26 2010 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply