April 24, 2014

'Burn Notice' - 'Good Intentions' Recap

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 26th 2010 3:21AM
burn_notice_michael_fire
(S03E15)
Every now and then, it's fun to watch what happens when Michael or Sam or Fiona don't have the upper hand in a situation. This penultimate episode of the season was one of those with lots of flying by the seat of their pants and taking a walk on the wild side ... whether they wanted to or not.

Special guest star Carlos Bernard -- Tony Almeida on '24' -- brought the kind of hard ass edge that's typical for '24' but a different flavor for 'Burn Notice.' His whole reason for being a hard ass was complicated and more important than money. But the best part of Gabriel was that he was so scary that Fiona was actually frightened. You don't see that often. And just the prospect of losing Fiona had Michael losing his cool.

When Fiona finally got the drop on Gabriel, his choosing to burn himself to a crisp rather than being caught by the police was a shocker. So was Fi's insistence on saving him despite himself. Michael's rescue was just in the nick of time because Fiona would not have been able to fireman-carry Gabe out of the burning building.

As intense as Fiona's case turned out to be -- and let's face it, she was in over her head -- Michael's business with Gilroy was worse. Not only was Michael being cornered into doing things he didn't want to do, like being the diversion when Gilroy secured the artillery, but he was still in the dark about the larger objective. Who was the super max prisoner? What was going to happen at the airport? Michael was a step behind and never caught up.

That's what made the ending so good. Gilroy was a chess master and had all the moves plotted out like Bobby Fischer, but the prisoner threw over the table and ended the game with a bullet. Didn't see that one coming, did you? Gilroy actually showed some humanity for Michael; he could have let him die in the car with him, but he didn't.

Now we're set up for the big finish; who is Simon and why does he want to kill Michael so badly? John Mahoney will be back, we saw that in the previews ... Should be fun.

Other points of interest

-- Madeline's advice about lipstick was wonderful. And did you see her jumping in there with the NTK -- need to know -- business?

-- Chuck Findlay is now a grass specialist. Good one.

-- Nice to see the old FBI agents who chased Michael in season one. Of course, they were completely useless when Michael needed help stopping Gilroy.

-- Favorite dialog: when Madeline showed up at Fiona's and wondered were Michael and Sam were going...

Michael: "Long story."
Madeline: "Whatever."

[Watch clips from 'Burn Notice' on SlashControl.]

Carol

GREAT episode! This is one of the best shows, ever, because it's like watching a movie, in just one hour! There is so much action, plot twists and turns, humor, and character development. I love ALL the characters, even the ones I love to hate! And, I hated to see Gilroy go. . . he was so maniacal! Burn Notice reminds me of the old TV show, "Mission Impossible", with Greg Morris and Peter Graves. I love getting caught up in the fantasy of the spy world!

March 05 2010 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I'm starting to think it was Michael's Mom who got him burned......

March 01 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

What is Burn Notice?

March 01 2010 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

I LOVE Me some "Burn Notice"! Best show on TV.

February 28 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
burnfan

Loved, loved, loved this episode. I'm always amazed how much story these writers can tell in 40 minutes. As much as we know that nothing too awful can happen to Fiona, they finessed us into believing the threat was real. There's nothing more menacing than a paranoid villain and Carlos' constant testing of Fiona set the stage for some real suspense. And yet, I ended up feeling sorry for the guy. Now that's good writing.
The fear in this episode was palpable. When Fiona's life was most in peril, Michael's helplessness and utter resignation to letting the scene play out was visceral. We also saw in Fiona a vulnerability we had not seen before, not even in the mid-season finale. She actually needed bedrest to recover after her ordeal.
I would have to say that Sam was the hero in this episode, bugging Fi's phone and talking down Michael when things got tense. My fav line, "I need some new friends."
There was more drama in this episode than most and the acters were truly up to the task. God, I love this show.

February 26 2010 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
djbracknell

I think Chuck Findlay was a Homeowner Association guy. They have rules on grass!!!

February 26 2010 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bnfanmab

loved this ep and always love carlos bernard anyway! did not care for the gilroy character til this ep. seemed just too "ladida". loved the way he ended with a bang! and this episode had great mike/fi interaction (great mike/sam, fi/sam, even maddie/sam too). i agree lots of drama tonite but enough explosions/fire to satisfy me too. looking forward to next week but how i will miss me some "burn" til june!

February 26 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

Best episode of this batch so far. Gilroy was a rather lackluster Big Bad in my eyes but sort of redeemed himself in the end. The season finale looks to be very good if the preview is any indication.

February 26 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

I love how Madeline is becoming part of the action. "Long story." "Whatever." Excellent! I think we'll see more of that in future seasons. Just love seeing that relationship mend itself. Michael is building quite the team. I expect to see Nate in the future too - perhaps a heist-gone-wrong action in Vegas - and then Nate returning to Miami.
The end for Gilroy - NEVER saw that coming and kind of felt sorry for him. I think his reason for letting Michael go was born of mixed feelings: revenge against those who sacrificed him and his own feelings for Michael. Turned out to be quite an interesting character development,one the writers managed very deftly over the course of 5 episodes.
The fact that next week is the final episode for 3-4 months really bums me out but I do have Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD to re-enjoy and the 2 books that I have been saving for when there are no reruns to watch! When I think that I have been watching this show only since Dec, 31st 2009, I wonder how I lived life pre-Michael Westen!

February 26 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

I laughed at that bit of dialogue with Michael and his mom- it's hilarious how she just doesn't try any more! Though I guess she has good reason.

I have to admit, I was half bored and half amazed by this episode. I'm always expecting more explosions and less drama from Burn Notice, but the only fast paced action scenes we had were tied to Michael, and since Fiona was the bulk of the episode it became a much more solid episode, dramatically speaking. I was really glad they created a "villain" that wasn't necessarily the "bad guy" for once, though, and Gabriel kind of reminded me of Brennan, though in a less sinister way.

It looks like next week the action will be back in full force, though, so the lull this week was no problem for me! Especially since we got to find out more about Fiona.

February 26 2010 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply