September 30, 2014

'Caprica' - 'There Is Another Sky' Recap

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 27th 2010 12:18AM
Caprica(S01E05) Like 'Battlestar Galactica' before, 'Caprica' has a wonderful way of continuing storylines with constantly changing characters. This episode was great at keeping one's attention, despite the noticeable absence of Lacy Rand and Sister Clarice (and the actors playing them).

First, we have Joseph Adama having trouble connecting with his son, who is on the road to hooliganism as a result. In order to relate to his son, Adama must do what he has been avoiding since the series began: embrace his ethnicity. There is definitely some Italian in the Tauron culture (or rather, the Tauron culture will lead to some of the Italian culture). The use of coins during the memorial service echoes some of the practices of the ancient Romans.

"New Cap City" was cool in its 1940's noir look, even though the name is reminiscent of something else. It's beginning to look like Tamara Adama will play a larger role in the evolution of the Cylons than initially thought. It could be that she becomes the one that brings about the revolution. That's one of the beautiful aspects of the series. We know exactly how it's going to end, but we have no idea how it's going to get there. We know that Daniel Graystone and his company develop the Cylons, but how will all these other elements intersect with that event to bring about the end of humanity?

Actually, the people who play "New Cap City" and all the Caprican RPG's are pretty ruthless. Is World of Warcraft this ruthless?

Graystone was practically bragging about giving birth to a slave race. It was another personal save similar to the story that Amanda Graystone told to him in bed the night before. Now he just needs to get the Cylon bodies to work properly (you know he will). Will the "digital spirit" of Tamara Adama have something to do with that?

If Tamara is sentient code, then it makes sense that she can affect other code in V-World. In the beginning, it seemed that she felt pain from being shot, but not so much towards the end. God complex, anyone?

Tamara's partner in V-World had a Robert Pattinson look to him. I hate him already. It did seem kind of meaningless to destroy all those people for points. That was likely some commentary about the nature of online gaming. However, an analogy could be made from the episode between the online games and the cultural traditions performed by the Taurons (or indeed any ethnicity).

Okay, I recognize that humans got to Earth via the Twelve Colonies, but how did fish get to Earth? Granted, we didn't see what the Caprican fish look like. Maybe they're purple and green or something.

'Caprica' continues to grow and mature as a series. It's certainly one of the most intelligent shows on the air. Hopefully it will find an audience. Even if it doesn't, SyFy would likely renew it since they own it, and its predecessor wasn't exactly breaking ratings records yet still got four seasons.

Did you notice any other subtle themes in tonight's episode?

Ipsilon

Also, I think that any cultural elements that carried over are related to "genetic memory" rather than the fact that any physical evidence was left behind (regarding the Tauron/Italian comparison).

March 01 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ipsilon

I'm pretty sure the proto-humans that our BSG friends found in the Finale were an evolutionary dead-end and that "we" are descended from Human-Cylon procreation. That's why it was implied that the remains that were found, mentioned in the news report at the end, were Hera's (I forgot what name was given to the remains).

At least, that's how I interpreted it.

March 01 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
uuatu

I can't help but think that tamara and zoe are 2 of the 3 in a holy trinity of the cylons - zoe (son or in this case, daughter) tamara (holy spirit) and the 1 true God. And since both of them have experienced Human cruelty 1st hand (Zoe ripping off her own arm; Tamara shot at and used by gamers) it is only a matter of time until they realize that the time of corrupt and decadent humanity needs to come to an end.

March 01 2010 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

For those who say the board scene was amazing, I have to ask....why? What was so amazing about that board scene. What was even the point? He brings in the cylon to show the board that holograms are the past, this is the future. But all the cylon does is walk around the table, look at everyone, then rip its arm off when asked. What did it do that the robots in Japan couldn't do right now? Wouldn't it have been more impressive if the cylon had said "No, I won't rip my arm off!"?

If they wanted to build an army of "slave" robots, why spend so much time and energy building artificial intelligence and artificial sentience? If they wanted to build an race of artificially sentient beings, why accept that it would rip its own arm off when asked, and why accept that demo at all, it never demonstrated sentience. It didn't interact, didn't show any thought. It actually didn't do anything nearly of what it was capable. The whole thing was just a giant contradiction.

And that is why I completely disagree with "It's certainly one of the most intelligent shows on the air." I can only enjoy the show when I turn my brain off and take it as entertainment. Otherwise I would just laugh at the ridiculous premise that the "intelligence" of the cylon was created by a coding a search engine's view of all of the events of Zoe's life, or the over-the-top attemps to make the events of the shows metaphors to our society.

March 01 2010 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eldritch

Kate said...

"I suppose my point is that one shouldn't underestimate the human tendency to be willing to nail anything that sits still long enough... "

I would never criticize your taste in men, but ......ewww.

Anyway, according BSG canon, Hera picked a local fella. And perhaps, if cows and sheep can get nailed, I wouldn't rule the possibility of some lonely guy nailing a kind of furry monkey smelling babe.

For the record, and for possible future replies from other posters, I didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said the ick factor was pretty high.

February 28 2010 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
penguendedektif

A couple of notes:
First, I initially didn't like the whole matrix thing. I hope they tie this up to a struggle between Tamara and Zoe in the wake of Cylon creation. Tamara will be the queen of the V-world, Zoe is the original cylon, hopefully there will be a power struggle there.

Second, I thought Taurons didn't believe in afterlife, what was that passage ritual? And why does Bill have brown eyes?

Third, the "battlestar" and the "vipers" flying in New Cap City was amazing. Kudos on that.

And fourth, agree with The1337, board meeting was amazing, it was so ED-209 (Robocop)...

February 27 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to penguendedektif's comment
Eldritch

"Second, I thought Taurons didn't believe in afterlife, what was that passage ritual?"

I think it was a reference to ancient Roman beliefs. The gods Twelve Colonies worship are all pretty much the Greek/Roman gods.

Romans believed the worlds of the living and dead were separated by the River Styx. When you died, you crossed over the Styx to the Underworld, which was their equivalent of heaven and hell. However, there was only one boat which crossed the river and it was operated by a boatman named Charon. The trick was Charon charged, so somebody had to pay a coin for passage.

Giving the priest those coins looked like payment to Charon or who ever the Twelve Colonists believed controlled entrance to the Underworld. Without payment to Charon, souls couldn't cross the Styx and were condemned to roam the world as lost spirits.

February 28 2010 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

I'm beginning to think that too many people come here to drop a quick comment simply as an excuse to link to their blog or whatever, and I'm a bit tired of it.

February 27 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alex99's comment
Edward

Yes, Caprica is such a great show!!!

Check out my review here:
www.ThisIsSpam.com

these comments are so annoying

February 28 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vette

The Tamara plotline introduced in this episode is by far the most interesting since the original pilot. At this point, you might expect the interaction (conflict?) between her and Zoe to be the define the future Cylon culture.

A big BSG fan, but was getting a little bored of this series but this gives it more hope.

February 27 2010 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themothchase

Tamara Adama quickly became my favourite character in this episode - dealing with life, death, violence and smart outfit changes, she was brilliant!

I blog about this episode at http://themothchase.wordpress.com - check us out!

February 27 2010 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Ummmm, your points are contradictory... or invalid... or pointless.

You make two points. First, you split hairs about how humans got to or populated this planet. You correctly note that there were humans already living here.

You go on to say that Hera (whom we know to be our ancestor according to the mythos) and her offspring likely wouldn't have intermingled with the natives... Thus, modern humans would've all stemmed from the 12 colonies. AS THE AUTHOR SAID.

So, which is it? Or are you splitting hairs just to bitch?

February 27 2010 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Eldritch

Mike,
It's probably true that I'm bitching a little, but I don't think I was contradictory. I'm aware of Hera's role as mitochondria Eve and all. What I said was that I don't believe there was much voluntary inter-species breeding between the two human groups. Homo erectus (or which ever pre-verbal human precursor Baltar spotted) was ugly with a capital U. I bet they smelled bad too. It's one thing to academically think of them as our remote ancestors; it's another to want to snuggle with one. I just can't see modern humans attracted to them.

As for Hera, I believe Ron Moore's making her Mitrochondrial Eve was merely a device to give meaning to all the fighting and hassling over her that preceded their arrival on Earth. In that regard, I can see why he had them utterly destroy their spaceships and technology by flying them into the sun. It answers the question, why hasn't some archeological dig ever found a remnant of the 12 Colonies by now. However, for many fans, it's difficult to accept that people from a high level civilization would voluntarily give up medicine and other modern tools as it would mean watching your parents, children, and loved ones suffer and die in ways that would be otherwise easily preventable.

February 27 2010 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply