August 23, 2014

Dermot Mulroney cast in new 'Rockford Files'

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 27th 2010 11:01AM
dermot_mulroney_smilingIn what was probably the toughest pilot season casting decision yet, the choice of actor to play Jim Rockford has gone to... Dermot Mulroney. Yes, that's right. Dermot Mulroney will star in the remake of 'The Rockford Files.' And, no, Alex O'Loughlin was not the first choice. Kidding! Just kidding!

Mulroney did a brief turn on 'Friends' in 2003, but his most famous role was the object of Julia Roberts' obsession -- and Cameron Diaz's fiance -- in 'My Best Friend's Wedding.' 'The Rockford Files' is his first major shot at TV.

Actually, the choice of Mulroney is very interesting. Since it's his first big turn at television, he brings a certain amount of movie star luster to the role. That can only help since he's attempting to play a role that has the imprint of James Garner all over it. Garner was perfect in the role, not unlike a Peter Falk in 'Columbo' or Tom Selleck as 'Magnum, P.I.' Garner was Jim Rockford; he never seemed to be acting.

But in this new incarnation, created by David Shore of 'House' fame, Mulroney will get a chance to make the part his own. No doubt there will be wrinkles and idiosyncrasies added that'll be unique this go round, and that'll help Mulroney. One thing Shore knows about is writing complex character. You couldn't find a more iconic character on TV today than Gregory House.

Entertainment Weekly claimed the news of Mulroney first, but a Hollywood Reporter story followed fast with more about the new Rockford. He's described as "slightly crumpled, wry humored, cynical, world weary, compassionate when it's called for and easily irritated by morons."

Hmm... yes, that was pretty much the way it was for Garner, too. Rockford also has had a troubled past on both sides of the law. Okay, that's consistent with the original, too. ...But will his father be around to bug him? Is he going to live in a cruddy trailer near the beach? Will he have an 'Angel' to help him on cases? We shall see...

KiliSurferGirl

Looks like everyone agrees, as your right Pamela, leave classic greats alone. The Studios are just looking at numbers. I do like Dermot as an actor, nothing on him but no one can replace Jim Garner NO WAY!! He is the true movie star that went to TV and got a great show to make his mark there. Just leave the classics alone and try to think of new ones on your own! I only watch "Classic TV" on DVD which I collect the series or on Netflix so why even turn on the TV today!!

June 24 2011 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goombieking

The thing that will make or break the new "Rockford Files" will be the writing. Like others here, I don't understand why they wouldn't just do a "Rockford-like" show, but for this to take off they have to have good writing and development of awesome characters like Angel, Ghandi, Rita, Beth and Rocky. Any time in the past, though, when I've thought a show had the potential of a Rockford, it's been cancelled in a week or two. I can't remember the name of the show about a lady who worked as a federal agent of some sort who had a father with a kind of shady past. They had started to develop some nice recurring characters and the show didn't see the end of the season. Hard to find a decent show on anymore. Hope the new Rockford changes that.

April 15 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Perez

Perfect role prefect man enough said

March 18 2010 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob campagna

I guess it`s to late but I thought Thomas Jane would have made a good rockford, he definitly has the right look. I also agree that James Garner would great as the father.

March 17 2010 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela Powers

I'm an inveterate James Garner fan and I can't see anyone in the role of Rockford than him. Yes, as someone said, just do a similar show with Dermot Mulroney; don't do Rockford. I really like Mulroney and wish him well....but as Rockford? Someone mentioned Nathan Fillion and THAT would be a good casting. Castle is good but not that good....and how long can he tag along with the sexy police gal?.....free him from Castle and cast him as Rockford...the only really good choice!

March 09 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Troy Shanley

When are they going to air the first show I cant wait.

March 02 2010 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Oh, great, let's stripmine another classic television show and destroy it in the process. For all of the abuse the Baby Boom generation gets from the slackers, you still can leave our stuff alone, can you? Can you say, huge bomb?

February 28 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I hope he is a good choice, but I remember the remake of "The Nightstalker" had the wrong actor in the lead. He just didn't fit.

February 28 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MichaelC2B

That was pretty funny about Alex O'Loughlin being the first choice. I agree with the rest of the crowd about Rockford - nobody can do him again... BUT - Alex in Hawaii 5-0 is going to be fantastic. Alex as a cop in Hawaii - now THAT's entertainment!

February 27 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Goldberg

WHY do they keep releasing these lame, misguided remakes? Anyone remember Dragnet with Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks? Leave It To Beaver with who cares? Miami Vice with Jamie Foxx and the incredibly annoying Colin Farrell? Leave Rockford (and Magnum P.I. alone!!!)

February 27 2010 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply