August 1, 2014

'Saturday Night Live' - 'Jennifer Lopez' Recap

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 28th 2010 1:22PM
jennifer lopez snl
(S35E15)
Someone at NBC or 'Saturday Night Live' sensed that you haven't thought about the music of Jennifer Lopez (no one calls her J. Lo anymore, right?) in about ten years, and in an effort to get "Waiting for Tonight" stuck in your head again, they brought her back. It was supposed to be some sort of double-whammy, a way for Lopez to promote her upcoming film, 'The Back-up Plan,' and her new album at the same time.

But then her label dropped her about a week ago and all ten people that were paying attention simultaneously tugged at their collars and went, "Ooh, awkward." These same people sat through her musical performances during this episode and, mid-cringe, mumbled, "Well, y'know. Bless her heart for trying."

All in all, this was a pretty mediocre episode. There were a few laugh-out-loud lines but none of the sketches were particularly stunning. In fact, a lot of the sketches started off pretty well but then stretched on too long or were killed by a terrible ending. None of the best moments came from Lopez's performance but she still did better than the likes of, say, Robert De Niro. And that is the only context in which that sentence would make sense.

It's difficult to compare to Lopez's first time hosting the show, as I can only remember two sketches: "Gemini's Twin" and "Mango." The former, only vaguely, and the latter, only because she and Chris Kattan wore matching denim jumpsuits and then fought while wearing them.

Videos as they're uploaded, folks.

BEST

Jennifer Lopez's youth elixir: All right, so this wasn't a sketch, but it's still noteworthy. Lopez has barely aged since the last time she hosted. It's a good thing she didn't nail all her sketches and musical performances, otherwise the catty mean girl in me would really hate her for having it all.

ESPN Classic: Women's Curling: I loved Jason Sudeikis's stumble over the word "vaginal." Way to commit, good sir. He also still had a little Adam Lambert glam on his face. And Will Forte continues to deliver a solid performance in these sketches, playing perfectly against Sudeikis. One of my favorite bits from the evening:

Sudeikis: I mean, if you had to take a stab in the dark.
Forte: Well, I'd probably kill someone.

Closet Organizer: Okay, this was an old commercial, but I still laugh at Forte getting hit with loose peanut butter, so it goes. It goes, all right!?

Kenan Thompson's sequined blazer guy: His wide-eyed, terrified stare as he rolled across the screen was one of the best parts of the episode.

Smashmouth: The first two-thirds of it, anyway. Ridiculous premise and lots of funny moments. I loved how Nasim Pedrad played it almost a little too real.

NOT SO GREAT STUFF

Smashmouth: The last third. A perfectly fine sketch ruined by that ending. What a shame.

Car Horns: Okay, I chuckled at "Heeello. I'm going to your house, Jesus" but the rest of it was just terrible. Is "Oh, my gaaah-aaad" supposed to be, like, a forced catchphrase?

OTHER STUFF

Cold Open: Funny topic, surprisingly weak execution, especially for a cold open. I did like that most of the cast was involved, though. Kristen Wiig's Gwen Stefani was spot-on but I don't think Lopez has ever heard Rihanna before. Also, Bill Hader's Eddie Vedder face was almost as terrifying as Bobby Moynihan's David Crosby eyes.

Digital Short: Flags of the World: Thank goodness for the Internet, because this video definitely warranted more than one view to catch everything. This wasn't one of the best Digital Shorts, but it was still cute. I liked the "Jammies"-esque singing.

Besos y Lagrimas: Wow, Wiig's telenovela acting was better than Lopez's. Maybe it was because she had the belt buckle full of poison working for her. Also, I remember them doing something extremely similar with Christina Aguilera in 2004. I wonder if they just counted on the viewers not remembering.

Monologue: Kenan Thompson as the OJ guy. Also, Lopez took no time mentioning the Bronx. Oh, my God. We get it. I swear

Hollywood Dish: Only not terrible because of Hader's sleep disguise and Wiig's milkshake-drenched face.

Weekend Update: Fred Armisen returned as David Patterson, which pretty much guarantees groans and laughs that turn into groans. Bobby Moynihan also stopped by to show us how stupid we look when we try to show YouTube videos on a slow connection. Like looking in a mirror, my friend.

Telemundo's Vancouver 2010 coverage: For the most part, a pretty average sketch. I did, however, enjoy the screams of "Where is the ramp!? Where did the ramp go!?" and Bobby Moynihan's sneaky pie face. Also, they touched upon both Telemundo and Univision in this episode. Way. To. Go.

[Watch episodes and clips of 'Saturday Night Live' and other shows over at SlashControl.]

Picviewer

I watched the 2hr block of Chappelle on comedy central instead. Glanced over at the dvr while it was recording and went ahhh no.

March 01 2010 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Osko

First, it's Besos y LagrimAs.
Jennifer Lopez's singing was off key and she yelled a lot. Also her Spanish is not that good.

March 01 2010 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Ungrey

I for one didn't mind the cold opening. The natural instinct would have been to go to the health care summit for the cold open just so SNL could bash the Republicans, but kudos for not going to the obvious. I think Annie forgot to mention Jennifer's opening monologue... Kenan Thompson was funny playing J Lo's old orange-juice holder. I thought the entire Smashmouth sketch was funny, and Kenan was good in the office sketch with that purple suit.

February 28 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Her singing performances were just awful.

February 28 2010 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
Chris

Also, wasn't Kristen Wiigs's Gwen Stefani spot on?

March 01 2010 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Professor Zed

I had no idea a new episode was on. I didn't think SNL would be on at all because of the Olympics. Oh well. Maybe I'll see it on the rerun - probably in a few weeks.

February 28 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Contrary to what the above commenter wrote, I liked your recap, Annie. I read this post before watching the clips on Hulu.

February 28 2010 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mueller

Once again, a very weak Recap. Week-in and week-out, this is the weakest recap on TV Squad. No insight, no analysis, just a brief list of what Annie Wu liked and didn't like.

No in-depth discussion of why, with the health care summit a few days ago, they would use the Cold Open to parody "We Are the World"...just a wasted opportunity to bash the Dems. and Repubs. in the same sketch. "We Are the World" could have been done any time, it wasn't time-sensetive.

Also, no mention that this week's show seemed to rely very heavily on Jennifer Lopez being Latina, with several sketches parodying that topic. A little weird considering that when Gerard Butler hosted, half the bits were not about him beiing Scottish or Irish or whatever he is. When Taylor Swift hosted, the show was not based on her being from the South. Yet with a Puerto Rican host, there was a ton of Latin American-related comedy.

By the way, how about more than a half-line mention of the fact that JLo's two musical performances were just brutal, her voice seems shot, she was screaming most of the time, and the songs sounded like something off the "Best of ABBA" Album.

Come on Annie Wu, get on the ball. You're better than that.

February 28 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Bob Mueller's comment
Patrick

It's Eddie Vedder...not Eric

February 28 2010 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patrick's comment
Annie W.

My favorite Peal Jam years were when Eddie's little-known brother, Eric, filled in, so it was my natural response while typing.

(Just kidding. Fixed it. My bad.)

February 28 2010 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TMZ

I think you are being a little hard on this episode. By SNL standards, it was hilarious! The only pure torture was Lopez's musical performances. How she's been able to pass herself off as a singer is beyond me.

February 28 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

They tend to drag out the Besos y Lagrimos when the host is of Latin(a) descent. They should get Conan to host again and work in Conando.

February 28 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply