April 16, 2014

Why You Should Give 'Being Erica' a Try

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 28th 2010 2:01PM
being_erica_soapnetThere are so many channels on television today that you may not have noticed a wonderful little hour drama on SOAPNet called 'Being Erica.' If you like 'Drop Dead Diva.' If you go for the characters on 'Glee.' If you care about stories for women but don't go for the Lifetime TV movies. If you can appreciate the differences between American TV and Canadian TV, 'Being Erica' is for you.

Starring Erin Karpluk as Erica Strange, a 32-year-old literary editor and wannabe writer, she's a mass of complications in the tradition of all romantic comedy heroines. But 'Being Erica' has a fun, mystical twist to the standard situations we've seen on other shows before.

Watch 'Being Erica' full episodes online at Hulu

Erica has Dr. Tom. He's her therapist, but his care includes time travel. He sends Erica to the times in her life when she needs to review what happened, relive her choices, and/or fix herself or what happened.

'Being Erica' is the kind of show that sneaks up on you. It gets under your skin and you realize the stories are lingering in your mind. What would you do if you had a day in which you could do anything -- ANYTHING -- and it didn't count. Whatever happened would simply be erased. Sounds great, right? But as Dr. Tom pointed out to Erica when it was over, it didn't really happen ... but she experienced it and she retains the memory. Ahh, there's the rub.

Part of the fun of 'Being Erica' is that it feels familiar and foreign at the same time. It's a Canadian TV show, so it looks like America, but it's not. None of the actors are recognizable from 'CSI' or 'Desperate Housewives' or 'How I Met Your Mother' (although I'd like to see Cobie Smulders pop in!). The locations aren't New York or L.A. It's Toronto, and that's unique.

So, here's a thought. If you can, DVR 'Being Erica' and give it a try. SOAPNet shows the episodes more than once, double shots on the weekend. New episodes air Wednesday at 10 PM ET. You'll discover, like me, you should be watching this show.

teleiap

I also like that the show's Canadian. But it's subtle, so it's just there. You can hear it in the accents and of course, see it in the architecture of Toronto. But I love the show because the characters are real, they're identifiable and they're incredibly endearing.

March 22 2010 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisabeth

I have been a fan of Being Erica since day one. And you are right: it totally sneaks up on you! It is not often that I look forward to watching a Canadian show over the very very many US shows that I watch...but Being Erica was that exception. It is unique in its premise (not being a hospital, cop or lawyer show) and you actually get caught up in the story and (gasp!) learn a few life lessons along the way.
Plus it's a little "sciency-fictiony" the way she can go back in time an "undo" a regret.
Love it! This is great show that needs to be promoted more!
PS Emily: Republic of Doyle better than Being Erica? Oh dear. I do watch Doyle but come on...it's a detective show. Aren't there enough of those?

March 09 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

'Being Erica' is a fun show, and it gets even stronger when it settles into its format in season two and starts to test the limits of its core concept. The show's continued success and growth in the US supposedly will have a lot of impact on whether there'll be a season three...

March 01 2010 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natalie

Actually the things that happen really are retained.

This show is really just fun to watch and slightly addicting. Love it.

March 01 2010 at 8:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

I've seen season 2 already and without giving anything away... Erica improved so much more as a person. The show manages to pull you in because of the what if scenarios of choosing to do things differently. Everyone always has that what if I did it this way or said this instead. Even if no one wants to admit it.

February 28 2010 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c

Oh and I'm a great big middle aged man who cried his eyes out at the season one finale.

February 28 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c

At the risk of making a "me too" comment. I really enjoy this show too. I've watched all the episodes on Hulu. I LOVE the fact it's proudly Canadian. Because it's Canadian the sensibility is a little different. I can't see the casual references to marijuana use work the same way on American TV - at least not in this kind of show. I've learned about Toronto and Casa Loma and a bunch of other casual references that have sent me to Wikipedia. Erin Karpluk is gorgeous in a nice girl sort of way. The supporting cast is appealing. There might be the tiniest bit of guilt in this pleasure, but I'm getting over the guilt and enjoying the pleasure.

February 28 2010 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marisa

Yay! Love for "Being Erica". This show is fantastic and needs more press!

February 28 2010 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

I caught a couple of the early episodes...it's pretty good. I don't have SoapNet, so thanks Tricia for letting me know it's on Hulu. Maybe I'll catch up with some more.

February 28 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
New Fan

I love this show! Watched a marathon of the first season when I was home sick and have become a fan ever since. Its the only show that I make sure I catch each week.

February 28 2010 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply