December 20, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Run Like Scalded Dogs' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 1st 2010 12:20AM
Teams play polo on wooden ponies in Argentina
(S16E03) "Run like scalded dogs?" Well, that's a new one on me. It was said by one of the cowboys on 'The Amazing Race' tonight and is just about as pleasant as the "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" saying. Who comes up with such evil sayings? What twisted minds create such horrid images? Probably some of the same minds who create challenges on reality television competition shows.

The teams left Chile tonight, but not before an announcement from Phil Keoghan regarding the recent earthquake. It's getting a bit mind-boggling the amount of countries I've experienced on this show and 'Survivor' that have had natural catastrophes over the past few years. I find it hits closer to home after watching some of the people of the countries and taking in the scenery through the shows.

Anyway ... onto the show. I can just hear all the fans who think the show is rigged for one team or another in an outcry right now. In the past, it was languages -- one team could speak a particular language and, lo and behold, the teams went to countries where that language was spoken. Tonight's issue would be the cowboy-related tasks when the cowboy team won first place in the last leg.

Now, they went to Argentina, not Texas. But the tasks, including the roadblock and detour choices, all had a western edge to them. From playing five card stud against a gnome in a bar where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid hid out, to lassoing a set of steer horns attached to a bale of hay, to digging up money with clues from a gunslinger and delivery to the lead bandit, to riding horses in a polo game. Um. Okay, the last had its own little twist -- they were wooden ponies, far from the real deal.

Yet all of the tasks did have the feel of Wild West about them. Was this to keep the cowboys in the lead? From what I know how the show works, I have to say no. I knew the producer who developed the challenges through the fifth season. They're thought out, as well as the route, long ahead of the actual casting. They also had nothing to do with the casting process. Casting isn't really aware of the challenges, either. I'm sure some will still cry foul, but I think it's the luck of the draw whether a team has an advantage for a leg or two due to their backgrounds.

That said, the most important part of the race is following the clues! Once again, this week we saw a team probably place much later than need be just because they didn't thoroughly read the clue. Oh, Jeff and Jordan, my 'BB' sweethearts ... read the damn clue! They kept delivering the bag of money back to the gunslinger when they were supposed to give it to the lead bandit! Jeff couldn't blame Jordan's ditziness on this one. He was the one reading the clue.

Other teams had their own trials and tribulations. The cowboys wanted to ride real horses. Brent and Caite were ill enough to go to the local hospital and lose three hours of time. Brandy and Carol snipped and sniped at each other through the whole leg. The brothers team of Jordan and Dan had more stickshift woes. The lawyer moms, Shawne and Monique, got stuck on the lasso task and never were able to make up for lost time. In their favor, they didn't bicker and they didn't give up. They just came in hours after the last team at the pit stop. They left with class. I would have felt the need to sing "Don't cry for me, Argentina ..." But that's just me.

The pit stop order
1. Jet and Cord -- won a trip to Patagonia
2. Steve and Allie
3. Carol and Brandy
4. Joe and Heidi
5. Jeff and Jordan
6. Dan and Jordan
7. Brent and Caite
8. Louie and Michael
9. Shawne and Monique -- Philiminated

It's been three legs now, two in Chile and one in Argentina. How do I feel the teams are shaping up? Results don't lie -- Jet and Cord, first place two times in a row, are a strong team. But they've been in a bit of their comfort zone. Let's see how they do in Germany. I think Steve and Allie might be dark horses. It's as if they sneaked their way into second place this week. Where did they come from? When not ill, I think Brent and Caite are a strong team, even though I wanted to not like the models team just because!

Joe and Heidi are almost non-entities. Who are these people and what are they doing on the race? As for Carol and Brandy, I'm getting irked with their arguing. They could leave next week and I wouldn't shed a tear. I so wanted to like Louie and Michael, but they're more like Keystone Cops in vaudeville than astute detectives. Dan and Jordan are boys playing at an adult game. Jordan and Jeff, lovable as I find them, aren't a real strong team -- she's ditzy and he doesn't read clues well. Your thoughts on the teams?

Is the show rigged for the cowboys?
Yes, definitely!13 (3.0%)
No, just luck with the first legs.402 (93.7%)
I'm clueless. Where is the clue box?14 (3.3%)

[Watch episodes and clips of 'The Amazing Race' over at SlashControl.]

ashley

We use the phrase, "run like a scalded cat". I prefer scalded cats to dogs.

March 02 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Didn't the bandit at the station look just like the guy who played Keamy on "Lost"?

I really can't tell which one of the brothers are gay anymore.

What the hell were the teams with the buried treasure thinking? The guy had a watch with a COMPASS!

March 02 2010 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo3b

I really wish people would start cutting Caite some slack. I mean, c'mon people. She's not as dumb as she appeared in her pageant, that much is obvious. It's just stupid luck that it's going to follow her around for the rest of her life.

Not saying this to people here, but some boards and certainly a few of these teams are just being way too harsh.

March 01 2010 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I knew that Argentina was big on Gauchos, horses and cattle so wasn't surprised at all with the "cowboy" slant. Definitely the luck of the draw.

I agree the 'reproduction" line was funny. Best of the night. Caitlin and Brent have surprised me too, after that emergency stop and then successfully playing catch up. They deserve some respect for that.

Still also rooting for Jeff and Jordan. Just can't help liking this cute couple.

March 01 2010 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
Chris

People make fun of Jordan ditzyness , but Jeff isn't that far behind her. Remember "Technotronics"?

March 02 2010 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

My favorite team is Jeff and Jordan - LOVED them on Big Brother and hope they make it together through life! But.....I loved it when Jeff realized they were reading the clue wrong and looked at Jordan and said "we definitely shouldn't reproduce!" I howled with laughter cause I always thought they'd make beautiful babies. Too funny! They have the best sense of humor on everything which is why I love them!

March 01 2010 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zwicker

Carol or Brandy (I cannot remember which one is which) said that they had only been together for five months. Since the application process and gap between final selection and taping each take weeks if not months, those two must have barely known each other before applying.

I recall reading that team members had to know each other for at least some period of time, maybe two years, before getting on the race. Is that the case?

March 01 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Zwicker's comment
David

I think some dark things are going on behind the scenes. I recognized on of the two lesbians as an actress that did some local commercials out here a few years ago. She's the tall skinny one that does the most of talking. Maybe they hired her and gave her some lines to raise the bitch factor. It could explain the 5 month discrepancy as well.

March 01 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyrus

It is possible that they have been dating for only 5 months, but known each other for longer than that.

March 01 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Anyone notice the awkward moments at the Pit Stop with two teams and Phil?

March 01 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I was talking to my tv last night when I saw the lasso challenge too, citing it was unfair...but I understand the challenges are made up way beforehand, so I got over it. And they were just jealous that it was the Cowboys' that got the leg up, not them...

I'm with you on the whole editing thing... Steve & Allie are basically ghosts at this point...Are they really that boring?! I think we've seen them less than 5 minutes since the beginning of the season, the most time given to their interior decorating during one of the challenges! IF they're going to around in the later episodes, I want to see more of them now, so I can actually root for them!

I'm sad to see Monique & Shawne be Philiminated, but I think they succeeded in getting their mission of being an example for "don't give up" across during this leg of the race.

March 01 2010 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margo

Hey Miss Jackie -

Great recap as always. I'm sure we will end up in China at some point and the team that can speak mandarin will have the advantage.
Margo

March 01 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

To anyone that would say the challenge was planned in advance to give the cowboys an advantage, please go read up on Argentina where cattle is big business. They have the world's highest per capita consumption of beef and are the third largest exporter of beef in the world. The cowboy themed leg was simply reflecting the local culture/economy.

March 01 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply